Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

The Black Panther cast included some truly wonderful actresses who don't need a new guy to come in and bail them out. I'd much prefer that Coogler (If he sticks around) works with the great cast already in place than bring in a rando for the lead.

The Black Panther cast included some truly wonderful actresses who don't need a new guy to come in and bail them out. I'd much prefer that Coogler (If he sticks around) works with the great cast already in place than bring in a rando for the lead.

The film is still called The Black Panther and that's extremely important to include the character who's namesake is in the title for all the people he's inspired.

I didn't say they needed bailed out? :huh:

Also even if they do recast, Coogler would still be working with this cast. It's not a "bail out." I mean yeah, sucks on one hand if there is a new T'Challa and I imagine we all would prefer this had not happened and that there was a nice, easy, and clean solution. But there isn't. There will be awkwardness regardless if there is a recast or if he is killed offscreen. But again, while I can't speak for the dead, I would imagine given how Chadwick saw the role and what it meant for cinema that he would want them to keep T'Challa alive even if he couldn't do it. That is just the impression I get.

I don’t think if say RDJ or Evans died that they would have killed Tony or Steve. So considering that, killing T'Challa offscreen doesnt feel right to me.. Plus, Black Panther was a huge moment for the African-American community and T'Challa the face of that. I think they will recast. That's just my take though.

This whole situation sucks though. There is no denying that.

I think Boseman will be honored for his part in launching the BP legacy, but Marvel Studios should move forward with a new actor in the role. Marvel has recast major roles before and while this is unprecedented and a tragic loss, Black Panther is a cultural icon now and there’s still so much story to be mined and told for audiences.

Shuri’s time as BP will come in due time, but let a new actor come in with his take on T’Challa in a sequel and beyond.

I really loved Chadwick’s portrayal, and inclusion in the MCU. This is a sad loss and one that will be felt. I do hope Coogler & co. really deliver a special tribute for Chadwick when Black Panther 2 is released. I loved the Stan tribute in Captain Marvel, but something different to make it its own.

I think Boseman will be honored for his part in launching the BP legacy, but Marvel Studios should move forward with a new actor in the role. Marvel has recast major roles before and while this is unprecedented and a tragic loss, Black Panther is a cultural icon now and there’s still so much story to be mined and told for audiences.

Shuri’s time as BP will come in due time, but let a new actor come in with his take on T’Challa in a sequel and beyond.

I really loved Chadwick’s portrayal, and inclusion in the MCU. This is a sad loss and one that will be felt. I do hope Coogler & co. really deliver a special tribute for Chadwick when Black Panther 2 is released. I loved the Stan tribute in Captain Marvel, but something different to make it its own.

Whatever they had for the Marvel logo in Black Widow, I think should be changed. Like the Stan Lee one you mentioned, they need to put one in for Chadwick in Black Widow

I said this in another thread and it's too early to discuss it so soon after his death but all I'll say is that for all we know, Chadwick could have given his blessing for someone else to take over the role. Though it's a devastating shock for the world, he had time to set his affairs in order and I'm sure that Feige and Coogler both knew of this.

Diagnosed with cancer, and he still had the drive and determined to finish all those movies. Big big respect. And rest in peace.

Btw, does this means that Marvel has to change all of their plans, they must’ve known this a long time ago.
Going forward, I don't know what Feige and his team will do. I would be opposed to a recast, but it is an important series that should continue. Does Coogler drop out? If no recast, how do they explain T'Challa's passing? Does Shuri take over as the Black Panther? Lots of possibilities and none of them good.
The sequel will undoubtedly be postponed, but beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

I would prefer a recast; they did it with Hulk (granted, different circumstances) and they did it with Rhodes (granted, not a main character) but there's got to be actors out there that would suit the role, and honour Chad's legacy. Marvel aren't going to kill off or write out such an important character because of an actors death, you can bet on that.

My first thought was Leticia Wright because Shuri took the role in the comics. But I agree that Danai Gurira's Okoye is a better fit for the suit.
We're assuming that Leticia or Danai would even want to step into the role...

Regardless of that though, just because the comics had Shuri take the mantle of Black Panther, it doesn't mean the MCU will follow suit. We know how much the MCU has differed from the comics already.

I don’t think you guys realize the insurance issues with casting an actor who might die. Marvel definitely didn’t know. From the sound of things, no one outside his family knew. He seemingly wanted it to be a private matter. Marvel would have replaced him if they knew. In fact, looking at the history of film production, it’s likely Marvel couldn’t even get a loan to make a film with the star knowingly having cancer. It’s too big of a financial risk. Read up on John Cazale’s fight with cancer. He couldn’t get roles due to the insurance. DeNiro paid out of his own pocket for Cazale to be in The Deer Hunter.
I think you're right; I don't think Marvel knew, at least initially. They must've known for Infinity War and Endgame though. I can't believe this would have been as much as a shock to them as it is to us.

I know speaking of recasting shouldn't be a thing but I'd love to see John Boyega take up the mantle, he clearly isnt afraid to speak his mind on racial issues as a black man and having that presence take up the mantle of Black Panther would be empowering.
I don't personally think he's that strong of an actor, at least in the few films I've seen him in. Star Wars and Pacific Rim 2 included.

After sleeping on it, I'm firmly in the recast column. If iconic CB characters like Spider-Man, Batman and Superman can be played by multiple people, I think T'Challa can be as well.

Which actor would be crazy enough to follow the Leto-Way?

Chadwick knows the importance of the character.... the cast 100% believe in black panther - black panther needs to continue.

It's a tough one.. I hope Chadwick leaves us with parting words to help us in the void... but then, you only have to see his work, to know his voice.

Should they recast T'Challa/Black Panther and a new actor steps into the role picking up from where Chadwick left off or do they kill off the character? Should they make Shuri the new Panther of Wakanda and the new Queen of Wakanda?

I’m also in favour of a recast, but this will be a tough one.

The only person I can think of is John David Washington, atm.

Still crying right now!! :csad::csad:
I actually thought the same thing even though I hate bringing it up so soon after Boseman's passing but I couldn't help it. I feel like John David Washington is the best choice to continue the role because of how his father helped Chadwick pay for acting school in the past. Of course this wouldn't happen for a while out of respect for Chadwick's memory but I'm thinking it's likelier the role will be recast. It also could have been what he wanted, for all we know.

Aldis Hodge, 33 would be a good choice to assume the role of T’Challa / Black Panther. Hodge is not a major name yet in Hollywood/with general audiences, but he has a long career with recognizable work in film & television.

Regardless of casting; Coogler, the creative team, and whoever this new actor will be will all need to work hard to simultaneously honor Boseman while still carving a new identity for the character.

Thank-You-to-Movie-Costume-Designer-For-Picking-This-Tight-Fitting-Top.gif

Aldis Hodge, 33 would be a good choice to assume the role of T’Challa / Black Panther. Hodge is not a major name yet in Hollywood/with general audiences, but he has a long career with recognizable work in film & television.

Regardless of casting; Coogler, the creative team, and whoever this new actor will be will all need to work hard to simultaneously honor Boseman while still carving a new identity for the character.

First one who came to my mind too

I don‘t think that they recast him with a unknown name. The audience will accept a big name to take over this huge mantle. An unknown actor will always compared to Chadwick Boseman - and aleready big name like John David Washington or Donald Glover have the self esteem to be compared to Chadwick .
But for Donald Glover: I‘d prefer him if he does a Lando tv series - that won’t happen, if he‘d be busy with BP
So John David Washington is my choice

exactly I can't imagine Chadwick wouldn't want his successor to blow up the way he did. because he was nearly unknown at the time too. He had only garnered some attention shortly before he landed the role.

Killing the character off off-screen just feels tacky to me so I'm okay with proceeding with a recast. And I doubt Boseman would've wanted the character shelved on his behalf.

Plus, I don't really buy into the notion of actors' owning their roles. Especially in the realm of CBM's where often times these characters have preexisted for decades.

He does look more like Chadwick than the other names I've seen put forward.

He does look more like Chadwick than the other names I've seen put forward.

It’s not just based on his looks, he’s a good actor as well. I’m always rooting for Hodge & including him in fan casts across these forums. He just seems like a talent that’s prime for a CBM franchise.

Killing off T'Challa is a stupid idea.

Superheroes get recast all the time. Other franchises recast major characters.

I have faith whoever the new T'Challa is will be a worthy successor to Boseman simply because Coogler will/would have been involved in the casting process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"