Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

Right now, I think there won‘t be a BP2 in the next few years - Doctor Strange will take the release date in May 2022.
T‘Challa should never be recast - they should adress his death in the MCU and honor him and his role. Shuri should be the new BP.

Why would you kill off a Black lead hero as impactful as T'challa? They didn't kill off Bruce Banner when they recast Norton.

I think we all need to grieve and process this, but the highest respect to him, and knowing how Chadwick felt about BP and seeing what it meant to little black boys, or just blacks in general, would be to continue having T'challa in the MCU. Shuri's time will come, but it shouldn't be because her brother is killed off screen.

Unless they knew about his condition, I doubt Marvel was expecting the need to recast a major role like this. You have to think this throws the BP2 production for a bit of a loop, especially since Coogler is supposedly still writing the script. I could easily see this film getting pushed to 2023 if Coogler and Marvel feel they need extra time to deal with his death.

I couldn’t know for certain, but having lived in this world for nearly five decades I’d imagine that Chadwick had more than an “employee/boss” relationship with Kevin Feige. I’d image that when he got this diagnosis years ago he talked with Kevin about it at some point well before we got this terrible news. I’d also imagine that he told KF his personal wishes for the future of the character if he couldn’t shake it. And I’d imagine that he wanted the character to continue on.

But who knows.

I experienced a profoundly tragic loss to cancer just last year, and it was surprisingly fast and unexpected. No one saw it coming, and no one planed for the aftermath. But this seems to be something that Chadwick was fighting for years. I’d bet that after Civil War when Chad got his diagnosis he talked with Kevin about it and he supported him in his fight against it while they moved forward with the character. I’d like to think that they also had an adult discussion about the significance of the character and what Chadwick would wish for the future of the character. And I’d also imagine that Chadwick would want the character to continue on. I’d also imagine that Chadwick had the same discussions with Ryan Coogler. If this was a new diagnosis and the relevance to the future was uncertain, then I could see it being more “secretive” amongst the coworkers. But since he was dealing with this for years, I’m pretty sure he would have talked with those guys about the situation. It’s simply what reasonable adults would do.

In no way Marvel Studios would‘ve continued filming BP and Infinity War, if they knew. With all the legal consequences if Chadwick would’ve done too much and died during filming they couldn‘t have done those filmings.
In Endgame he had suspiciously very few fighting scenes, perhaps all with body doubles - that was probably the time, when Marvel Studios knew.
But I doubt, that they put him at that risk with gaining weight for BP and Infinity War, even if he wanted.
Chadwick hided it bravely probably with a lot of pain, believing in what impact he could be for the black culture

At this point, I don't know what Marvel will do because this is so unprecedented. I know a lot of people are against recasting but ending T'Challa's story so abruptly wouldn't feel right either. I'm also not sure that Letitia Wright is quite ready to take on the leading role of BP yet so I'd actually lean on them recasting.

What Chadwick Boseman's Death Means For Black Panther 2

I don’t think if say RDJ or Evans died that they would have killed Tony or Steve. So considering that, killing T'Challa offscreen doesnt feel right to me.. Plus, Black Panther was a huge moment for the African-American community and T'Challa the face of that. I think they will recast. That's just my take though.

This whole situation sucks though. There is no denying that.

I can't believe this. This is so unexpected. I'm grateful for what he's done as Black Panther and he will never be forgotten as King T’Challa. It's incredible that he still managed to film his scenes while going through countless surgeries and chemotherapy which says a lot about the man. I am so glad to hear his family was with him, and I only hope happy memories are with them.

I think Marvel will postpone BP2 out of respect. I'm not going to entertain on whether they should recast or not as it's not the right time to discuss that and that I would rather celebrate Chadwick Boseman's time as Black Panther. RIP Chadwick Boseman.

It takes really courage and fortitude to work hard and passionately in spite of a medical illness. Chadwick didn’t let the cancer effect his life, he kept working. We should live by example and honor his memory by keeping being a productive person in our society in our daily lives and activities.

I read about this at work literally right at the end of break and just after the news was originally posted. I don't usually feel celebrity deaths, even for the ones I know and like (probably because they've mostly been older folks), but this was a gut punch. Chadwick's debut in Civil War is what got me interested in the MCU in the first place, and his portrayal of the character was, to me, top-notch. I really did see a lot of myself and my personality reflected back to me through him, and he never disappointed. Plus he was such a versatile actor, even in the relatively few roles I've seen him in outside of Marvel. I thought his James Brown take was spot-on, dancing, singing, and all. (Even if they did use a stuntman and voiceover for that, had me convinced.)

Moreover, it seems clear to me through interviews that he was a very thoughtful actor and human being; the first thing that came to mind for me after hearing the news was actually this clip, which just really hits home so hard, knowing what he was going through at the time with his own health. I have my own thoughts on what should happen with the franchise, but there's really been no rush for things, between Coogler wanting to take his time with the script and now the pandemic likely ultimately shifting production back anyway, so those talks can wait for another day. In the meantime, I'll leave you with the aforementioned clip that many of you have probably seen:

Rest in power, inkosi.
118495182_3405220109538524_888319857888122848_n.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly don’t believe anything you read about what Marvel is doing next. First, it’s way too early to think about. Let’s just appreciate what Chadwick left us and mourn. Second, even if Marvel knew he was going through chemo, I doubt they even know for sure what the next steps are.

Honestly don’t believe anything you read about what Marvel is doing next. First, it’s way too early to think about. Let’s just appreciate what Chadwick left us and mourn. Second, even if Marvel knew he was going through chemo, I doubt they even know for sure what the next steps are.
Operating under the assumption that Marvel knew he was going through chemo, I am sure the conversation has come up. But, I don't think this really should be the most pressing concern for people right now. Plus, even if Marvel had a plan about how to handle this in theory, the reality may alter things.

We can return to this situation later.

I posted this in another thread but..

This is horrible news and yes he left huge shoes to fill as Black Panther and I hate to talk about this as it's not the appropriate time but I'm not sure Black Panther 2 should be delayed more than a couple of months although I am definitely sure that I don't want T'Challa killed or written off the MCU. The character should live on and I would support a recast! As far as the MCU goes, nothing bad happens to T'Challa between Endgame and Black Panther 2 with the only big difference is we the audience see another actor in the role. Have the film dedicated to Chadwick Boseman though before and after it though!

Not to take away from the tragedy of his loss, I don't think of his next actor as his replacement but a part of his legacy rather. But i do agree with you. And it'll be important for whoever fills those gigantic shoes to make it well known that they acknowledge that it'll be on them to honor the role as best they can.

He fit that role like a glove. I'm not concerned about the next one right now.

The time for whats next will come. For now, We mourn the loss of a bright light in the dark world. But we celebrate the life and the impact he left on the world. He made us all believe in the black superhero more than any other actor on screen. He stood for something greater than himself. Rest in Power King. Wakanda forever

Last edited:
At this point, I don't know what Marvel will do because this is so unprecedented. I know a lot of people are against recasting but ending T'Challa's story so abruptly wouldn't feel right either. I'm also not sure that Letitia Wright is quite ready to take on the leading role of BP yet so I'd actually lean on them recasting.

What Chadwick Boseman's Death Means For Black Panther 2

Couldn't Screen Rant wait at least 24 hours?

Loved him as Jackie Robinson in 42...loved him in Get On Up as James Brown but for me I loved him as T'Challa/Black Panther in Civil War, Black Panther, Infinity War and Endgame...I wonder what happens to the BP character or the franchise in general? Do they recast?

Loved him as Jackie Robinson in 42...loved him in Get On Up as James Brown but for me I loved him as T'Challa/Black Panther in Civil War, Black Panther, Infinity War and Endgame...I wonder what happens to the BP character or the franchise in general? Do they recast?

I'm sure they'll discuss it at a later date.

I remember the awkwardness I felt watching Cheadle's Rhodey meeting Tony in the courtroom in IM2. Watching Wright, Gurira, Nyong'o and others call some other black dude T'Challa would ramp the cringe quotient up by about 1,000,000 percent. That's something I absolutely don't want to see. Recasting is a B in a connected universe.

The first film opened (sorta) with a coronation, BP2 should open with a funeral. Let the audience grieve the loss of The King. Put Shuri on the throne, give Okoye the suit and put T'Challa's baby in Nakia's belly. It sucks, but I think that's the best way to move forward.

I remember the awkwardness I felt watching Cheadle's Rhodey meeting Tony in the courtroom in IM2. Watching Wright, Gurira, Nyong'o and others call some other black dude T'Challa would ramp the cringe quotient up by about 1,000,000 percent. That's something I absolutely don't want to see. Recasting is a B in a connected universe.

The first film opened (sorta) with a coronation, BP2 should open with a funeral. Let the audience grieve the loss of The King. Put Shuri on the throne, give Okoye the suit and put T'Challa's baby in Nakia's belly. It sucks, but I think that's the best way to move forward.

or they could mention that the snap from Thanos sped up the death rate of T'Challa, and the after effects of Infinity War and Endgame caused Black Panther's death in the MCU. After Wakanda mourns his death, they can give Okoye the suit.

Nah, recast!

New Hulk and Don Cheadle didn't phase me at all. Killing off a major Marvel hero offscreen would truly be cringe

or they could mention that the snap from Thanos sped up the death rate of T'Challa, and the after effects of Infinity War and Endgame caused Black Panther's death in the MCU. After Wakanda mourns his death, they can give Okoye the suit.

T'Challa would the only one affected with sped up death!?

Personally, I think there is no right or wrong way to move forward. But for me, T'Challa became on icon and a foundational piece of the MCU and a symbol for minority representation in cinema. For me, killing him off screen wouldn't feel right. Yeah another actor in the role may feel awkward at first, but eventually guys like Ruffallo and Cheadle won the crowd. Give someone else the opportunity to carry Boseman's torch and keep this character alive. All.of the videos and such and even the statement by the family speak of how honored he was to bring T'Challa to life and how he saw Black Panther as a cultural shift in cinema. I think Chadwick would want to keep T'Challa alive to continue inspiring change and keep that legacy alive.

That's just me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"