• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever General Discussion and Speculation Thread

A lot of of mediocre and below mediocre reviews today whereas the first reactions have been so positive.
It‘s always that you can trust those first social media reactions. They‘re influencers, who won‘t dare to post a mediocre reaction, because that will cause them not being invited to premieres again in the future.
Unfortunately Wakanda Forever might be similar to MoM and Thor L&T…they were ok, but not overwhelming

More opening weekend than Black Adam’s entire run. The MCU brand is something else

That and the specific demographic it adheres to want to see Black superheroes on screen again, especially when anything "African American" is more politically divisive now as compared to when the first movie came out in 2018 and they need something to take them away from that albeit briefly. As an Asian American, I always thought the first movie was great, but because I am Asian American, it wasn't this groundbreaking movie, but I understood why it was for so many African Americans. So if this film does really well for many African Americans, then that's great and we should support that, no matter how we think of the movie.

Watching the first movie again with friends on Friday and then we have tickets for Sunday afternoon. Can't wait! :D

That and the specific demographic it adheres to want to see Black superheroes on screen again, especially when anything "African American" is more politically divisive now as compared to when the first movie came out in 2018 and they need something to take them away from that albeit briefly. As an Asian American, I always thought the first movie was great, but because I am Asian American, it wasn't this groundbreaking movie, but I understood why it was for so many African Americans. So if this film does really well for many African Americans, then that's great and we should support that, no matter how we think of the movie.
As an Asian you actually benefit from the success of this too. Once they see that movies with POC can do well and also do well internationally they are more open to telling more kinds of other stories, stories not really being told as much. Without black panther there wouldn't have been a Shang Chi. Whether u liked Shang Chi or not isn't the point, I'm just saying progress for one equals progress for all.

As an Asian you actually benefit from the success of this too. Once they see that movies with POC can do well and also do well internationally they are more open to telling more kinds of other stories, stories not really being told as much. Without black panther there wouldn't have been a Shang Chi. Whether u liked Shang Chi or not isn't the point, I'm just saying progress for one equals progress for all.

True and I like Shang Chi and I think Shang Chi is much more groundbreaking for Asian Americans than Crazy Rich Asians (which I also liked). This movie will also be groundbreaking for Latinos. The box office will be super high because Latino kids and black kids will see their people represented.

how are u guys seeing the movie so early. thought it was a worldwide release for thursday/friday??? im super jealous

The official release day here in Mexico is tomorrow, but lately with big blockbuster movies they have what's called a "preview" the day before because theater chains noticed a lot of people go to the movies on Wednesdays (usually they have cheaper prices that day).
It's pretty much like the release day was today because they have various showings throughout the day. (I also watched No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, The Batman and Love and Thunder one day before the official release).

No idea about the reason for other countries.

Another thing, as someone who is 1/4th Chinese, Shang Chi has a greater cultural significance to me than Ms. Marvel. Years ago, I remember watching Slumdog Millionaire and hearing how culturally significant it was for Indians, especially those who live in the United States. Now I enjoyed the film a lot (one of my favorites the year it came out) but as someone who is Southeast Asian, rather than South Asian, Slumdog didn't hit me culturally. It didn't mean I hated it though.

The official release day here in Mexico is tomorrow, but lately with big blockbuster movies they have what's called a "preview" the day before because theater chains noticed a lot of people go to the movies on Wednesdays (usually they have cheaper prices that day).
It's pretty much like the release day was today because they have various showings throughout the day. (I also watched No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, The Batman and Love and Thunder one day before the official release).

No idea about the reason for other countries.
Oh cool-- lucky u! I know u cant speak for all of Mexico but I'm curious what the mood is there surrounding this film? Is there excitement and hype-- were ur theaters packed. Is this movie a big deal there? Just curious....

Another thing, as someone who is 1/4th Chinese, Shang Chi has a greater cultural significance to me than Ms. Marvel. Years ago, I remember watching Slumdog Millionaire and hearing how culturally significant it was for Indians, especially those who live in the United States. Now I enjoyed the film a lot (one of my favorites the year it came out) but as someone who is Southeast Asian, rather than South Asian, Slumdog didn't hit me culturally. It didn't mean I hated it though.
All my close friends from college were Asian so I got all my cultural lessons a while ago-- and with all kinds of asians, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. Also cuz I grew up in Long Beach CA very very diverse.

As for Ms Marvel I found that super educational cuz i wasn't at all familiar with that group of people and I had no idea about the Partician (sp?)-- so for me that was super fun learning all that stuff and things about the culture.

Oh cool-- lucky u! I know u cant speak for all of Mexico but I'm curious what the mood is there surrounding this film? Is there excitement and hype-- were ur theaters packed. Is this movie a big deal there? Just curious....

All my close friends from college were Asian so I got all my cultural lessons a while ago-- and with all kinds of asians, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese and Chinese. Also cuz I grew up in Long Beach CA very very diverse.

As for Ms Marvel I found that super educational cuz i wasn't at all familiar with that group of people and I had no idea about the Partician (sp?)-- so for me that was super fun learning all that stuff and things about the culture.

With Ms. Marvel, for me it's more about how they portrayed Islam. Too often in Hollywood projects, Islam is portrayed as this evil religion and Muslims are portrayed as terrorists. With Ms. Marvel, they showed the religion in a positive light, which is rare in Hollywood.

There's overall excitement about it I'd say. It's definitely not the same excitement for Latino representation as it felt for the black community on the first movie, to set an example, but Tenoch as Namor is definitely something to be looking for.
The showing I'm going to (English subbed) it's not that packed, but the dubbed showings are.
I'm confident it'll do good. Marvel films always make good money here (I just checked and for the top 10 highest grossing movies in the country, 6 are from the MCU. No Way Home is the number one).

Opposite to other people's opinions, I've loved all post Far From Home Marvel movies. Some more than others.

But this?
If it wasn't for No Way Home, this would be my favorite Phase Four movie. In fact, you have to consider I'm very biased cause Spider-Man is my favorite hero.

But dang...Wakanda Forever was AMAZING!
THE BLACK PANTHER LIVES!!

Just booked my tickets for tomorrow morning!

Opposite to other people's opinions, I've loved all post Far From Home Marvel movies. Some more than others.

But this?
If it wasn't for No Way Home, this would be my favorite Phase Four movie. In fact, you have to consider I'm very biased cause Spider-Man is my favorite hero.

But dang...Wakanda Forever was AMAZING!
THE BLACK PANTHER LIVES!!
Awesome!! Glad you enjoyed it. Hope I like it as much as you.

Already got the tickets for me and partner for Sunday showing (Nov 13th).

And sometimes later after that first watching, planning to see the local dubbed version.

So hypeddd! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"