Blade Runner 2049 - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched this film yesterday for the very first time.
Such a gorgeous and compelling movie, very intense. Neither better nor inferior to the first Blade Runner movie, just 100% different and standalone.
You can't truly compare them. They are two different movies and I don't think it's fair to compare them. I would say BD 1982 is a timeless, groundbreaking masterpiece wherever BD 2049 is a modern masterwork --- not "revolutionary" in any way but surely an awesome and fantastic cinematic achievement.
I would like to think that BD 2049 is a spin-off and not a sequel.

By the way, some plot issues I "spotted":

WARNING: SPOILERS

1- How many memories of Ana did K store in his mind? He told Deckard that her memories were the "best memories" he got...

2- Does Ana know to be the daughter of two replicants? (or the daughter of one female replicant?). She doesn't recognize Deckard at all, but I guess she clearly remembered when the replicants brought her to the San Diego Orphanage... or so I guess.

3- Once people would have scanned Ana... would they be eventually able to create "reproductive replicants"? I guess so. Because Ana is supposed to be a "revolution", despite her genetic anomaly.

4- How did Ana acquire the wood-made horse toy coming from Las Vegas? When Deckard left her (and she was a baby), he hadn't established in Las Vegas yet... right? So weird.

5- Is K's DNA similar to Ana's? I guess not. When K searchs into the DNA database, he just discovers the two DNA files of the "twins", but one of them is 100% fake --- as we later find out.

6- Was the snow falling on K (at the very end) generated by Ana? Holograms?

Thank you so much.

K is outside. It's just snow. He dies alone, his job done, no one around to hear him any kind of monologue. In the end he lived and died for purpose.

Deakins and Digital Negative :hmr:

oj5JE5b.jpg

Fe2O692.jpg

In some of the fxguide articles, some of the Double negative team talk about about how touchy it was trying not to mess up Deakin's lighting and compositions when filling out the images with effects. I would not want to be the one to mess that up.

I can't believe this was all in camera. Deakins is really just that ****ing legendary.

And good on the production for doing so much practically (along with the miniatures).

Such a shame that this film didn't do better, not only for the franchises but the studio and cinema as a whole. We need more big budget independent movies like this and less made-by-committee monstrosities like Justice League.

Ford really brought his A game to this.

“Her eyes were green.”

"Who am I to you?"

And then the last scene.

Movies like this are why I go to and love movies. I want to be inspired so it can inspire more art like this down the line and to remain to balance out everything else. I love Marvel but they're resting on their laurels and even I'm getting a little jaded with them. I don't want them to be the only ones making movies and being the model and only saying movies can be just a business model. Movies just don't excite me as much anymore, but this is what I always hope for when I walk into a movie. It's what I hope inspires a 13 year old to make movies.

I miss these types of big films where you have a talented, artistic director with a clear vision who brings something else to the material and elevates it with their own vision. I miss the Nolan's, the Jackson's and the Raimi's. Now it's seems more about facilitating an overall goal than a specific singular vision.

Last edited:
Yep, the corporate mentality has truly trained everything that made movies special out of the medium. Every so often a good, big budget movie will slip through their fingers (Apes, TLJ, Edge of Tomorrow, 2049, any of Nolan's films), but usually when that happens there's either fan backlash or people don't show up to see it.

There's still plenty of good films being made, but not many at this scale.

Sure, Marvel's pretty good about releasing decent movies, but they're boilerplate comfort food; they don't try anything new and they don't challenge the audience. And I think the more movies fit that mold, the lower standards will drop and people will become accustomed to the new norm. We're starting to see a big divide between what does well critically and what does well with audiences and it doesn't fill me with confidence.

My second favorite movie of 2017 with Shape of Water being number 1 then John Wick 2 number 3 then Wind River number 4 and so on.

As a huge fan of the original for 26 years since i rented the original movie at age 10 even saw the director's cut re-issue in theaters when it came out and had versions of the soundtrack on CD for years with poster, shirt and all it didn't disappoint me.

It definitely left me satisfied and amazed even with the use of practical effects and nice complex story.

Yet did anyone got any Armitage III vibes with the pregnant cyborg thing?

seriously, How BR 2049 isnt nominated for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay (consider the adapted category is so weak this year) is beyond me. Sure it's ignored because of BO flop and not getting much buzz but if we're talking about pure quality, it desperately deserves much more for me.

Rutger Hauer gave his opinion of 2049:

Rutger Hauer said:
I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don't lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground. In many ways, Blade Runner wasn't about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It's like E.T. But I'm not certain what the question was in the second Blade Runner. It's not a character-driven movie and there's no humor, there's no love, there's no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that's not enough to me. I knew that wasn't going to work. But I think it's not important what I think.

:dry:

I dont know what film he watched but it could not have been BR2049. BR2049 is very much a character driven film and the question of what it means to be alive and the nature of a soul permeates the entire film.

Having a funny relationship with this one on re-watch. On my first viewing the 3rd act was my favourite part, but now I find myself getting a bit bored when it comes along. I still maintain this was 15-20 mins too long, and still think plenty could have been cut out to make a shorter, tighter movie.

Having finally gotten around to watching it, it is visually stunning and the story is good but there is so much extraneous detail that could have been purged to bring this down to a more reasonble run time.

Yes, I know that is blasphemy to some of you but that is what extended versions of a movie are for on home video.

Having finally gotten around to watching it, it is visually stunning and the story is good but there is so much extraneous detail that could have been purged to bring this down to a more reasonble run time.

Yes, I know that is blasphemy to some of you but that is what extended versions of a movie are for on home video.
I thought that it was pretty good, but I felt the length of it.

It definitely was a good movie but there were several parts where I ended up fast forwarding through it to get to something other than lots of pretty visuals that otherwise served no purpose.

It definitely was a good movie but there were several parts where I ended up fast forwarding through it to get to something other than lots of pretty visuals that otherwise served no purpose.
Vn74R1J.gif

To be honest, the film probably is too long. But if it didn't have that ponderous, atmospheric pacing and tone it wouldn't really be a proper Blade Runner movie.

100% agree, on re-watch as well some parts are a real slog to get through. I don’t mind slow moments as long as they serve the plot, there are a good few scenes here that could have been cut and the plot wouldn’t have been effected.

I like the movie a lot, but I feel there is a much tighter version that lasts about 140 mins.

Just saw Soldier again, man is it cruddy.

Ack. Might need to go pick up the 2049 blu-ray sometime soon, cleanse the BR-verse palette.

So I just watched the original Blade Runner for the first time and then Blade Runner 2049. Don’t hate me for this opinion, but... I found the original BR to be boring. I almost fell asleep during some parts. But BR 2049? I was honestly hooked. I loved the story and was genuinely interested throughout the movie. Maybe it’s because it’s newer and the special effects are better...I’m not sure. But I genuinely liked this movie more than the original.

I think BR 2049 definitely is more inviting to the average viewer...relatively speaking. The original BR takes multiple viewings to enjoy, I hated it the first time, was indifferent the second time and then loved the film on my third rewatch which seems to be the general pattern I hear from a lot of people. BR 2049 though, I loved on the first watch. I think it has a more accessible main character, obviously bigger and better special effects and action, louder, more bombastic score and sound design -- on a technical level I think its easier for someone to stay awake and enjoy Br2049 than the much more quiet and melodic original.

Last edited:

I am offended :o

Because one trusts a guy who fast forwarded through a sequence to tell us whether it served a purpose or not.

So I just watched the original Blade Runner for the first time and then Blade Runner 2049. Don’t hate me for this opinion, but... I found the original BR to be boring. I almost fell asleep during some parts. But BR 2049? I was honestly hooked. I loved the story and was genuinely interested throughout the movie. Maybe it’s because it’s newer and the special effects are better...I’m not sure. But I genuinely liked this movie more than the original.
2049 has made me reconsider the original. It has everything the original had but its... more. Where as the original feels slow, 2049 is much longer but far more engaging imo. 2049 instantly became one of my favorite films. To the point that is has really lessened my opinion of the first.

It has a better story, better characters, better performance, better music, better effects, better editing,better sound design, better cinematography, and is just... better. The depth of 2049 is just so much more interesting imo. And that goes back to the characters. The first film doesn't really have any in comparison outside of Batty. 2049 ask similar questions to the first one, while exploring them with more variety and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"