Blade Runner 2049 - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they didn't have any plans on taking it anywhere after this because that's never gonna happen now.

I think that it will have the same fate as the original. It will find its audience on home video. I think that a lot of the fans from the original skipped it because they feared the worst, especially if we remember that it was released next to a bunch of remakes/reboots. Once they know for sure that this is an excellent sequel and not a cash grab, they'll buy it.

Was it really a matter of fans of the original not seeing it? Maybe the fans of the original aren't that widespread.

Was it really a matter of fans of the original not seeing it? Maybe the fans of the original aren't that widespread.
Plus, the first one one was a flop, too.
Its not like fans of the original supported it in the first place.

Early concepts of giant Joi and K.

omOV5yIIu0o.jpg

pFceQfvXq0Y.jpg

pg5i9YhIOOg.jpg

3jkWlnQoaCE.jpg

ph-40cEUfx4.jpg

I'd say it might actually be the opposite. The fans of the original were the ONLY people that bothered to see it. I think if the latter was the case, the numbers would have actually picked up in subsequent weeks due to fans hearing that it was actually a good sequel.

Eye Symbolism in Blade Runner 2049.

[YT]jRSZd8xYaL4[/YT]

And again told, black eyes = doesn't have soul and personality.

Last edited:
Probably a dumb question but I really want to catch this in theaters and because I've been terribly busy this month, I get a chance to see it tomorrow. It's been years since I've seen the first one and to be honest, can't remember much of it at this point.

Is it a better experience to rewatch the first one or does it work as a standalone? Theaters in my area are already pushing it out and I'm thinking in watching the first one down the line.

I am not a huge fan of the first so haven’t watched it for years. Yet I still got all of the references to the first movie here. You should be fine.

They spent way too much on it. I know they probably had to open up the checkbook to bring in Harrison Ford, but they didn't need to make it a $170 million movie.

Got to agree, the movie looks amazing and you can see the money on the screen, but I think they would have been better making it for $50-70 million less.

Sadly this. I also think that coupled with the 2.5 hour run time, and the "division" on social media. Unfortunately, people are becoming more jittery about what they spend their money on in terms of movies. It needs to have lots of praise and be pretty digestible. There is a debate around this movie, plus it is long and its hardcore fanbase from the original is smaller than many, including apparently the studio, anticipated.

However, this is such a beautiful and hypnotic film that I imagine it will very much live on like the original for those who can find serenity in something so nihilistic and bleak.

I hope they didn't have any plans on taking it anywhere after this because that's never gonna happen now.

On the other hand I hope Hampton Fancher works on some novellas or keeps record of any ideas on where to go from here. It may never get made or come about for a long time, but he isn't going to live forever and having the ideas on paper could be a good thing.

Hardware and Software together. :O
Sean Young and Ana de Armas.
qfM76e1Rym4.jpg

I think the biggest drawback for this film is the 2.6 hour runtime. I will see it but I'm not going to be held hostage in a theater for that long without the ability to pause it if I have to go to the bathroom or get something to eat.

The other reason it probably doesn't draw an audience in is because people aren't looking for hours long cerebral movies to sit through like that. It's why something mindless like Transformers can get away with it but not this.

So sad that this didnl't make any numbers. But I remember the original when in higschool, l did not watch it because of friends thouht it was boring and lacking of action . It took me a few years to fully appreciate Blade Runner.

I think the biggest drawback for this film is the 2.6 hour runtime. I will see it but I'm not going to be held hostage in a theater for that long without the ability to pause it if I have to go to the bathroom or get something to eat.

Just go the bathroom before the movie starts.

Just go the bathroom before the movie starts.

Yeah nowadays they load up at least 15 minutes of trailers before a movie, plenty of time to go pee. And if you happened to buy a coke or drink...well you're gonna have to pee no matter how long the movie is at that point. Any soft drink with caffeine is likely a diuretic.

Don't drink anything just before going to see it and go to the bathroom before the movie starts.

First cut of Blade Runner 2049 was so long it was split into 2 parts

The first assembly of the film was nearly four hours and for convenience sake and – to be honest – my bladder’s sake, we broke it into two for viewings. That break revealed something about the story – it’s in two halves. There’s K discovering his true past as he sees it and at the halfway mark he kind of loses his virginity. (laughs) The next morning, it’s a different story, about meeting your maker and ultimately sacrifice – “dying is the most human thing we do”. Oddly enough both halves start with eyes opening. There’s the giant eye opening at the beginning of the film and the second when Mariette wakes up and sneaks around K’s apartment, the beginning of the 1st assembly part 2. We toyed with giving titles to each half but quickly dropped that. But what does remain is that there’s something of a waking dream about the film. That’s a very deliberate choice in terms of visuals but also the kind of pace they were striving for on set and the hallucinatory feel in the cut – it’s the kind of dream where you tread inexorably closer to the truth.

As this obviously would have made BLADE RUNNER 2049 a little too long for theatrical release, Joe Walker began the long process of whittling the film down. Walker said that the first to go was "a lot of connective tissue and bridges. For example, there was a really magnificent aerial sequence when K and Joi fly to Las Vegas. It was one of those rare occasions when it was raining on the hills outside Las Vegas, God’s contribution to Blade Runner 2049. But it just felt more impactful to go straight to the pilot fish’s view of this strange landscape and hear K’s distorted commands, to skip ahead of the audience for a while. For the vast bulk of the tightenings, we pared the dialogue down to the minimum amount you could get away with, allowing us to play the beats that remained very intensely."

At the end of the day, there weren't too many "whole" scenes on the cutting room floor, as Walker said that the film is "a story that develops piece by piece – remove any substantial piece and the edifice collapses." For those of you hoping some of these sequences will wind up on the upcoming Blu-ray release, it's probably best not to get over excited. "Denis doesn’t like deleted scenes on BluRays and I tend to agree," Walker said. "There’s a reason why you chop scenes out and although I respect the fact that there’s some fan interest out there, we wanted to make one definitive cut of Blade Runner 2049. "

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/fir...-so-long-it-was-almost-split-into-2-parts-892

Well that's something. I say I don't want to sit in a theater for 2 and a half hours in case I need to pee and the response is don't drink anything? How about not have a movie run for 2 and a half hours with no breaks?

2.5 hours is hardly too long for a movie to be. Are we forgetting how long the LotR movies were? So people get more movie for their money. If some people can't go without a break for 2.5 hours, that's not a problem with the movie.

2.5 hours is hardly too long for a movie to be. Are we forgetting how long the LotR movies were? So people get more movie for their money. If some people can't go without a break for 2.5 hours, that's not a problem with the movie.

LOTR has at least more action and crowd pleasing. Again, this is a cerebral, slow burn detective story where things reveal itself. It's not something everybody is going to like. I thought the length was great and would never wish to see another second cut and the wish of cutting 20 to 30 minutes is idiotic, but that's just how it is.

I felt like I was watching a sci fi epic watching this. It truly is something special. It's easy for me to say we have shorter attention spans compared to 30 years ago, but I remember the original Blade Runner has the same things keeping it from being so popular. It's slow, boring, and with no action. And it flopped too. Except I think this movie is better than the original because it takes some of the problems of the first film and improves upon them. But it's truly a Blade Runner movie. If this movie was 30 minutes shorter and an action movie it wouldn't be Blade Runner. It sucks it flopped, but I'm thinking and afraid what it would have turned into had they wanted to make something more accessible. I guess we just can't have both a high quality Blade Runner movie like these two and have it be a huge hit

Last edited:
How 'Blade Runner 2049' Created Love Scene.

Ryan Gosling's confusing tryst with a flesh-and-blood (well, basically) replicant and his artificially intelligent hologram girlfriend, Joi (played by Ana de Armas) in Blade Runner 2049 was one of the most memorable scenes from a movie overflowing with them. At once touching, strange, uncomfortable and really quite sad.

A scene that took over a year to perfect, the final result was a delicate and semi-transparent dance as Joi, a hologram, superimposes herself, at times ungracefully, onto the physical form of Mackenzie Davis' character, Mariette. But while the scene itself was impressive, the techniques used to create it were even more so.

Speaking to Syfy, the film's visual effects supervisor John Nelson revealed that to create as immersive a scene as possible, they recorded Ana de Armas as she acted through each of her other scenes with Gosling, capturing her from as many angles as possible to create a 3-D model, rather than relying purely on CGI or special effects.

She looked so real," Nelson said, "because she was made from a photograph."

On top of that, the film's director Denis Villeneuve had the two actresses alternate between mimicking each other's movements on camera, before the effects team spliced the shots together, resulting in the choreographed but slightly imperfect nature of the scene — a considered choice from Villeneuve.

Speaking to Vulture, the Canadian director commented on the execution of the dystopian threesome, saying: "You have several things happening for the first time in the scene. You have a man who's being touched by a woman for the first time. You have a hologram that feels she can be real for the first time. And you have a prostitute who's being kissed by a man with love for the first time, and she's not sure how to deal with that."

"I didn't want Joi to just envelop Mariette", he added. "I didn't want it to feel magical."

"I wanted to feel the limit of the technology."

Job done, Denis.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/ne...49-ryan-gosling-joi-hologram-threesome-scene/

in my country ticket prices get more expensive after 140 minutes and again after 160 minutes. i pay more :woot:

I will see it but I'm not going to be held hostage in a theater for that long without the ability to pause it if I have to go to the bathroom or get something to eat.

That's how you'd feel going to watch a lengthy but engrossing and visually immersive film in the theater? That sucks.

Going to the movies is an experience which sometimes requires some preparation and minor inconveniences, but it's often well worth it at the end of the day.

Here are just a few of The Shape's helpful movie-going tips:

- Plan to eat a nice meal beforehand if you're heading out a see a lengthy movie
- Alternatively, hold off an eating a big meal right beforehand if you think you'll wind up devouring some popcorn/snacks while enjoying the movie
- Arrive to the theater at least 15 minutes early, which allows you to use the bathroom once (or even twice) and hit up the concession stands before the previews/movies start (Previews are sometimes the best part)
- Always bring/sneak some kid of food/snack/beverage into the theater with you, no matter the length of the film, and even if you're not hungry before it starts. Chances are pretty high that you or your viewing buddy will crave some kind of snack at some point during the movie, and it's a real ***** to leave in the middle of the movie and wait on concession lines (depending on time of day/night)
- *Understand that you are not a hostage in the movie theater. If you feel to urge to use the bathroom while the movie is playing, you should do so. (Try to go right after a major moment/action scene) In the case of Blade Runner, missing 2-3 minutes of a film that is 164 minutes long will not be detrimental to your overall viewing experience. (If you are watching the movie with a friend/loved one, you'll return from the bathroom to your seat and ask "What did I miss?", to which they'll likely respond "Nothing".)
- If you feel the urge to fart during the movie, try to make sure it is a silent one.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"