Blade Runner 2049 - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are mistaking my intentions when I say the movie should have been cut down. I love the movie as is, but to make it more accessible to the GA and by extension possibly more successful, I think they should have cut it down at least a little.

There were several scenes where the lingering shots could have been trimmed. Also some scenes could have been re-arranged. Like at the start when K notices the flower next to the tree, have him notice it on his way back to the car instead of him getting to the car, climbing in, having a conversation with his boss, registering the dead replication, etc.

I think this could have been done with a few scenes throughout and it would have trimmed the run time.

I do like the movie as is though.

See, the length of a movie doesn't put me off. The longer the better for me! Considering a movie ticket in the UK is like £11 (so nearly 15 dollars) I want to get my moneys worth. God remember the days of Lord of the Rings when it was over 3 hours long? That didn't put the GA off. Titanic for example... that was like 10 hours long and it was HUGE.

I don't think we'll ever have a definitive reason as to why people didn't go to see it... especially as EVERYONE I know DID see it (my brother saw it three times) and loved it. Massive head scratcher.

I think people are mistaking my intentions when I say the movie should have been cut down. I love the movie as is, but to make it more accessible to the GA and by extension possibly more successful, I think they should have cut it down at least a little.

There were several scenes where the lingering shots could have been trimmed. Also some scenes could have been re-arranged. Like at the start when K notices the flower next to the tree, have him notice it on his way back to the car instead of him getting to the car, climbing in, having a conversation with his boss, registering the dead replication, etc.

I think this could have been done with a few scenes throughout and it would have trimmed the run time.

To be honest I'm not sure the run time is the biggest factor in getting traction, I think it's the entire premise and style of the movie. The fact that it's trying to engage with cerebral concepts and it's a noir detective-type film are both so far removed from the typical crowd-pleaser kind of seals its fate IMO.

I think they would've had to deviate heavily from the BR formula to get more people interested, it would've need a massive amount more action and a far more linear and pared down plot to reach numbers similar to Fury Road. I feel like even if it was trimmed by 20-30 minutes it would still be an introspective detective movie that just doesn't resonate with too many people, understandably considering its predecessor took long before people adopted it.

I also don't mind the length, but I also acknowledge they could've trimmed some sequences without IMHO really losing anything.

Behind the scenes. Using CGI.

grqjVaTP4rA.jpg

asZVUxfArLc.jpg

hj2Et1OAs30.jpg

XiAD5ELwQco.jpg

mfaHZc8PwAU.jpg

0ARNPtQOvK4.jpg

IffyVz3Tnyg.jpg

cGBHWaOWa2Q.jpg

12cXkMWjy6g.jpg

boplNqvxmNg.jpg

To be honest I'm not sure the run time is the biggest factor in getting traction, I think it's the entire premise and style of the movie. The fact that it's trying to engage with cerebral concepts and it's a noir detective-type film are both so far removed from the typical crowd-pleaser kind of seals its fate IMO.

I think they would've had to deviate heavily from the BR formula to get more people interested, it would've need a massive amount more action and a far more linear and pared down plot to reach numbers similar to Fury Road. I feel like even if it was trimmed by 20-30 minutes it would still be an introspective detective movie that just doesn't resonate with too many people, understandably considering its predecessor took long before people adopted it.

I don’t now know, as someone who isn’t a hugeness fan of the first, the trailers got me wanting to see the sequel. Strangely though I spoke a friend of a friend last night, his favourite movie of all time is Blade Runner but he hasn’t gone to see the sequel, it’s just strange.

I also don't mind the length, but I also acknowledge they could've trimmed some sequences without IMHO really losing anything.

:up:

I bought the Making of book, "The Art and Soul of Blade Runner 2049", and did y'all know that Deakins insisted that they build the future LA with models to preserve the aestethic and real look of the original film? And Denis and Weta did it. They built big models of future LA and and the models are in the film.

Such a labor of love and it was rewarded with a disappointing box office.:(

I wonder if 2049 will be nominated for any Academy Awards like Gosling for Best Actor or Harrison Ford for Best Supporting Actor

I doubt any acting nominations.

But I think nominations for art direction/production design, VFX and Cinematography are sure things. Score is a possibility too. The Academy likes Zimmer.

I'm hoping it slips into Best Picture though.

Jared Leto, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Carla Juri and Denis Villeneuve at a question-answer session after “Blade Runner 2049” screening in Linwood Dunn Theater, Los Angeles. (Nov. 03, 2017)

Tj5BQDzw3vc.jpg

EAoKJn5SDtI.jpg

40-720Y_B9w.jpg

UC1fKKshMGQ.jpg

Ilba3LZFs_4.jpg

2BcwfatA9K8.jpg

exkvvdo-HQ8.jpg

tumblr_oywfimnqUT1wzztcvo1_1280.jpg

I wonder if 2049 will be nominated for any Academy Awards like Gosling for Best Actor or Harrison Ford for Best Supporting Actor

It definitely deserves some nominations but I fear it could get snubbed since the box office was so poor. I feel like part of the reason Fury Road got so much love was that the film was a hit and really had a lot of buzz around it with Furiosa becoming such a feminist icon and all that.

Sadly, Blade Runner 2049 doesn’t seem to have that. And that’s a shame because it’s honestly a better movie than Fury Road (and I say that as someone who LOVES Fury Road).

Ford doesn't deserve an Oscar for his performance in this film. It was good acting, but nothing Oscar worthy. Most of his short performance is him grumbling, looking confused, angry, or scared. The only true stand out moment in his performance in BR2049 is when [blackout] Rachel 2.0 appears.[/blackout] He acted that moment damn near perfectly. But that one moment probably won't get him a nomination or a win.

See, the length of a movie doesn't put me off. The longer the better for me! Considering a movie ticket in the UK is like £11 (so nearly 15 dollars) I want to get my moneys worth. God remember the days of Lord of the Rings when it was over 3 hours long? That didn't put the GA off. Titanic for example... that was like 10 hours long and it was HUGE.

I don't think we'll ever have a definitive reason as to why people didn't go to see it... especially as EVERYONE I know DID see it (my brother saw it three times) and loved it. Massive head scratcher.[/QUOTEdidLOTR and Titanic are accessible movies...BR 2049 irrespective of length isn't. The reasons are obvious:-

As much as I respect the intent of the production team it's an expensive art film that, it's final moments aside, is tonally bleak. It's failure is hardly baffling. Gosling draws only in romance oriented movies, Ford nowadays does only when he plays his most popular characters which Deckard isn't.

Film buff bros may scoff but also the lack of appeal to female cinemagoers ( and the criticisms the film has attracted in some quarters for it's supposed sexism) can't, in this age, be discounted.

As someone who grew up on blockbusters, on TV, such as Lawrence Of Arabia and The Godfather I don't want all big films to be generic yet I am aware that in order for ones that don't conventionally play to audiences to succeed they have to work on more than one level for multiple viewers.

In other words they need to be entertaining on a basic level whatever the artistic or intellectual purposes of the piece is. Remove all the action sequences out of The Matrix and Inception respectively for example and neither of those films do as well as they did. BR 2049 is thoroughly what it is and in this era that's commendable but like the original film the consequences of that is trying to attract the kind of audience who go in expecting one thing.

Ford doesn't deserve an Oscar for his performance in this film. It was good acting, but nothing Oscar worthy. Most of his short performance is him grumbling, looking confused, angry, or scared. The only true stand out moment in his performance in BR2049 is when [blackout] Rachel 2.0 appears.[/blackout] He acted that moment damn near perfectly. But that one moment probably won't get him a nomination or a win.

I wouldn’t call any of the acting Oscar worthy.

Sylvia Hoeks is the only person in this movie that gave a performance even vaguely worthy of an Oscar.

That said, all the performances were more than decent.

They're gonna make a category for Leto: The most method of method actors that don't understand what it actually means to method act, but method acting seems to garner real method actors respect like Daniel Day Lewis' method of method acting method award. And he would totally accept it all method.

[YT]rrZk9sSgRyQ[/YT] . . . . . . . [YT]UgsS3nhRRzQ[/YT]
[YT]aZ9Os8cP_gg[/YT] . . . . . . . [YT]gCcx85zbxz4[/YT]

Miniatures for all time! WETA did a great job for this film!

Really enjoyed miniature work in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"