Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO... and Comes Back Again

Guess you better be glad that the contracts with Insomniac are already set in stone.

Streaming platforms: Let's keep raising the prices so that we can cover the damage of overly expensive content and not giving actors and writers a fair deal sooner.
Also streaming platforms when they start losing subscribers because of that:

surprised-icegif-2.gif

It looks like there‘s no reason to keep the subscription until X-Men 97 and the Acolyte. If the rumored May release is true, than there won‘t be nothing exciting new for 3 months (I don‘t count Bad Batch Season 3)

Yeah, probably going to cancel my subscription since I didn’t bother watching Echo and X-Men isn’t coming out until the spring/summer.

The Core of their Library is still there. Keeping my subscription, For Now.

Streaming platforms: Let's keep raising the prices so that we can cover the damage of overly expensive content and not giving actors and writers a fair deal sooner.
Also streaming platforms when they start losing subscribers because of that:

surprised-icegif-2.gif

It is going to be fascinating to see what happens when Crunchyroll doubles their price.

Last edited:
Telegraph - Billionaire Disney activist hits out at all-black and all-female casts
Nelson Peltz, who owns a stake in Disney worth roughly $3.5bn (£2.8bn), sided with accusations that the Hollywood behemoth has become too woke.

He said: “People go to watch a movie or a show to be entertained. They don’t go to get a message.”

Mr Peltz, whose daughter Nicola is married to Brooklyn Beckham, took issue with recent blockbusters The Marvels and Black Panther, which portray female and black superheroes respectively.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the tycoon said: “Why do I have to have a Marvel that’s all women? Not that I have anything against women, but why do I have to do that?

“Why can’t I have Marvels that are both? Why do I need an all-black cast?”

If you’re wondering, yes he’s endorsed Trump for 2024.

Last edited:
Asked about Peltz's remarks, a Disney spokesperson responded: "This is exactly why Nelson Peltz shouldn't be anywhere near a creatively driven company." The fight by Peltz and his Trian Fund is pitting a prominent activist investor, who says he works well with target companies, against Disney's Bob Iger, a talented media industry CEO who returned to the company's top job in November 2022 with a mission to reinvigorate Disney.

Iger in his autobiography, The Ride of a Lifetime, said he had pushed to diversify the Marvel films, which initially had been built around white male characters. Black Panther is the sixth highest-grossing domestic release of all time, according to the site Box Office Mojo, and was the first Marvel film to be nominated for Best Picture. The Marvels, released last year, brought in a modest $206 million, worldwide.

Peltz in the Financial Times interview also said he questioned the record of Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige.

Of course he conveniently ignores the two MCU films that came out between the black and female led movies.

Hopefully they can keep racist sexist (more than likely homophobic, etc.) Ike far away from Disney.

Other recent films Ike doesn’t acknowledge:
- Barbie
- Spiderverse

Since when did Black Panther have an all black cast to begin with. Did I imagine Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis having significant roles in that movie? It also grossed $1.3 billion. Shouldn't Disney want more movies like that that make truckloads of money?

I probably agree with him even though he's somehow saying this as a good thing. :shrug:

White men were the leads of Antman and Indiana Jones that didn’t exactly help their box office…Peltz is trash, this reminded me I need to get my vote in.

As well as - Mission Impossible and Flash.

This is one thing that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up more.

Among the top financially failing films of the year - Ant Man, Indiana Jones, Mission Impossible, Flash.

On the other hand, the eight top earning films of last year at the worldwide box office - two featured a female in the lead (Barbie and Little Mermaid), two featured Black leads (Spiderverse and Little Mermaid), one is one of the most diverse franchises out there (Fast and the Furious), and another the anti-woke mob initially complained about Peach being a "girl boss" before the box office receipts came in. That's to say if there is one trait that most movies in the top eight shared in 2023, with Barbie being on top, it is these films are the ones that prominently featured diversity.

(Top 8: Barbie, Mario, Oppenheimer, Guardians, Fast X, Spiderverse, Little Mermaid)

The anti-woke mention Little Mermaid like it was the most unsuccessful film of 2023 when in reality - it broke even and is the eighth highest earning film of the year worldwide. That's something Mission Impossible couldn't even state (9th place). And it would have made more if (like many films in 2023) it had a more realistic than inflated budget.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"