Bought/Thought for 1/23/08

The only problem is that if Jean ever comes back and Scott is allowed to be with Emma, she will be hitched up to Logan within 14 pages.

If they wanted to be original, she could look at Angel another way, as he used to pine for her in the 60's (Iceman too, technically). But that'd never happen. Too original. It has no chance.

Didnt Professor X also love her?

That's be a kick in the ass if she hooked up with HIM. :yay:

I always post these in the order I decide to read them. I don't know if everybody does that, but I think it's interesting to know what the books are about, as well as knowing what comic inspired somebody the most to open it and start reading.

She-Hulk #25 - Yes, She-Hulk was my #1 first choice to read of the week, and if you look at what I got this week, that tells you how excited I am for what PAD and Shawn Moll have been doing with the series. The first thing I'd like to comment on is the cover. It's about time Moll did a cover of his own, and I feel he should always do them. I love Deodato (better than Moll), but this is Shawn's series, and he's more than capable. Issue 25 was the best issue yet!

Peter David has added suspense, intrigue, depth, and drama, while continuing the action and humor, although it's more subtle. The cliffhanger was great. Jazinda is one of the most interesting new characters in YEARS. I hope she's okay (and I'm sure she is), and I like the wicked alien mass murderer escape plot. Great set up to what looks to be an interesting story.

There were also 2 interesting backup stories. A curious new villian appears in the first one, seeking revenge on She-Hulk and (who else?) Tony Stark. The art by Adriana Melo and Mariah Benes was the best comic art I've ever seen by a female or female teaming. Can't wait to hear more about their new ongoing series. My guess is Black Widow or some other female lead series. The second was a great parody story about She-Hulk visiting the Marvel offices in a pissed off mood about her character's portrayal since she's been in her own series. Great Val Semieks art! I've liked him ever since his Conan days, and if Moll ever leaves (hopefully not for years!), Val would be a great choice. My one problem with the story was a major pet peeve of mine, when the word "than" was used instead of the proper "then".

I also found it a bit funny how Tom Brennan was being coy and hinting in the letters page about the mysterious identity of Jazinda's dad, telling us how the results will be "Super". PAD already spilled it about her dad being the Super Skrull weeks ago...:woot:

9.1/10

Iron-Man #25 - As coincidence would have it, I read my two anniversary issues first, as She-Hulk and Iron-Man (the very heroes that that Elephant villian guy in She-Hulk's latest issue seeks revenge on) are pretty strong right now.

This was another strong issue, as the series keeps getting better and better. I think potraying the Mandarin as a mad savior of mankind works well. This story has been very satisfying as it rockets toward, what looks to be, an action packed climax. I LOVE that version of the armor. It's just about a billion times better than the modern armor, which is much too busy of a design.

Dumping supporting characters like Rhodey and Pepper into various spinoff books continues to leave an empty spot, but the Knauffs are doing strong work here now.

The art goes from incredible (Jackson Guice) to very good (De La Torre, but the lack of stability isn't a plus. I also think that De La Torre looked better in earlier issues when he had somebody inking his stuff besides himself. (He made deadlines that way, too...) He's still really good, though.

The extras are nice, but I just paid an extra buck for stuff I've already seen online or read, for the most part. I was excited to see Layton get some attention, though, along with David Michelinie, who is one of the greatest comic book writers of all time! (He needs more work, Marvel!!!)

Likewise, it was cool to get a preview of Jon Favrea and Adi Granov's upcoming mini series, but it was terribly written, and honestly, who wouldn't have preferred the upcoming Michelinie/Lim/Layton mini series instead?

With the quality being strong, it is a shame that the orders keep falling. It's already down to 38,000, not far from where it was when Marvel deemed that it needed rebooted.

9/10

Spider-Man #548 - My third choice was to read the latest Spider-Man, and it definitely wasn't because I cared for the first two. Well, the stink of OMD/BND is never going to go away, but this was a very readable Spidey comic, for the most part. It was definitely an upgrade from the first two. Still, it's not a story that couldn't have been told with a married Pete and MJ. All Marvel HAD to do was bring back the supporting cast.

Dan Slott writes an entertaining Spidey, and I can't express how much I love the return of the thought bubbles that comic creators had tried to convince us that they were too kewl to use. They are a great tool. Again, if anybody is listening, THESE ARE COMICS, NOT MOVIES! The Daily Bugle stuff was interesting.

I'm guessing that I'll pick up the next arc and give it a try for Larroca, but I doubt I'll waste money on anything drawn by Bachalo, just for completist's sake.

The new status quo just smothers this series.

7/10

Ultimates 3 #2- The first issue reads more like an Onslaught Universe tale to me, and the coloring was a bit murky (okay, a lot!), but Loeb is solid, and Joe Mad rocks, so Ultimates 3 gets the treatment next! This is a solid comic, too. Not great or groundbreaking, but the bipolar melodrama on the internet... If you really think this is the worst comic of all time and you want to quit reading comics because of it, please quit. Comics obviously aren't for you.

After the week ending of Ultimates 2, a problem that plagued Millar's work on the series, this totally new approach is probably the best thing for the title, but it really does feel more like Onslaught stuff than Ultimate stuff. The action is definitely at the forefront now, and that wasn't the case with the Millar/Hitch stuff.

Joe Mad does more good work here, and it's great to have him back drawing comics. The colors weren't quite as murky this time, but still a little bit. The art gives the series a bouncy and energetic tone, as opposed to the realistic tone set by Bryan Hitch. I like realistic better, but I'm capable of liking more than one thing. (unlike many of my fellow readers...)

It's solid good old fashion superhero stuff with great art. The use of Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men was a smart idea, as the Ultimates, the world's top super group, would surely run into these characters often. As long as it's guest appearances and not crossovers, I like when characters meet up with eachother.

8.2/10

Astonishing X-Men #24 - It's really hard to get up for this series because of the shipping schedule. It's well written and well drawn, obviously, but the series has absolutely no momentum anymore.

The story is solid enough, although WAY too fast of a read, and the art is as strong as any of Cassaday's work on the series, but the lack of momentum hurts it some. I'm sure it'll read better in one sitting, and I have, in fact, read the previous issues ( 19-23) all at once, but it's not achieving greatness as a monthly comic anymore. It's merely "good".

I like the feel of the story, and am enjoying the alien world stuff. It's given time for some great action, as well as some great character moments. There must be something in the water at Marvel, though, as this issue features another typo. Late in the issue, Kitty says "I've gone more...than an mile." Editors, get it together, because this kind of thing makes it look like you're to busy screwing off to actually do your jobs.

7.3/10

X-Men #207 - The final chapter of the Messiah Complex. I really enjoyed the story, but I felt it was hurt everytime Cruz or Bachalo drew an issue. Moreso when Cruz did.

I thought the issue was a good finale, though it did disappoint me that the predator mutant eater thing was wrapped up in such a boring way. I also wanted more than I got from the Rogue and Gambit reunion. Ah well...maybe there's more to come.

Scott's decision to let Cable take the baby and be it's guardian was well played, and does set up a Cable series that I'd be intrigued enough to give a try to, with papa Cable almost in a similar role to that of the aging Bruce Wayne in the Dark Knight Returns. I can't say that I was impressed with yet another "Professor X is dead" scenerio, and where the hell did he disappear to in that last panel? Was this YET ANOTHER thing missed by a Marvel editor this week? *sigh*

7.5/10

The Order #7 - This is consistantly solid every month, but also consistantly has a C-list feel to it, like it's not important. That's probably being reflected in the very disappointing order figures.

Well, I still wouldn't rate it better than a solid story with strong art by Barry Kitson, but at least some importance was given to the team via Namor, and having the Fantastic Four cameo linked the series to the Marvel Universe in a way that Tony Stark, who's in EVERY book these days, it seems, doesn't have the same effect for me.

There is still much room for improvement, though, as C-list comics have never had much shelf life. The whole "The Order saved California" thing felt forced, but the issue went a long way in building the character of Anthem. (Henry)

As I said, the artwork by Barry Kitson is top notch, and gives the series a strong and consistant tone. I have long maintained that he would do a great Fantastic Four, capturing the Kirby energy better than anybody not named John Romita Jr., so I was especially thrilled to see his FF appear in the issue.

7.4/10

Ultimate X-Men #89 - I decided to check this out because of the Larroca debut, even though Kirkman is leaving soon, and it's been shedding readers at a fast rate. Well, I found out why nobody really cares for the series under Kirkman's guide, as it wasn't very interesting or particularly well written. The art was pretty strong, but it didn't make the story interesting. I really don't have anything to add, other than I won't be back for more.

4/10

Young Avengers Presents: Patriot - I decided to give this a whirl based on it being Ed Brubaker who wrote it, and it starred Patriot, the most Captain America themed character of the group. While flipping through it, I groaned as I saw Bucky the badass... Ed has really written him in a way that has made me loathe the character since he became...perfect.

True to form, Bru displayed his affection (some might call it a man crush) for Bucky, showing him as a "kewl rider" (how cliche and overplayed is a "badass" on a motorcylce?) and showing yet another female making goo goo eyes at him. How many is that, THREE already? I'm just waiting for him to dump the Bucky, and start introducing himself as Barnes...James Barnes. The part at the end with Eli and Bucky was actually a much better read, because it wasn't Bucky badass getting forced down our throats, it was an actual real character, something I find much more interesting than the version he's always showing of the character. I mean, I'm not 10 years old anymore, so the cliched badass schtik doesn't impress me anymore. I wish he'd just make him a real character, and leave the cliches alone. Real characters can be troubled, too.

The rest of the story with Eli, and his enormous chip on his shoulder, was interesting. I do wish that a better artist drew the issue. Paco Medina is decent, but his anatomy needs work, and he's not an incredibly dynamic artist.

6.6/10

Well, that's it, kiddies. See ya next week! :cwink:

Wow, Dusty, you're going to give me a run for my money in the "long review" dept. Keep up the good work! :up:

I'm not being sarcastic. Nice to get new blood to add to the mix of the B/T opinions.

The art by Adriana Melo and Mariah Benes was the best comic art I've ever seen by a female or female teaming. Can't wait to hear more about their new ongoing series. My guess is Black Widow or some other female lead series.

It's Ms. Marvel.

Wow, Dusty, you're going to give me a run for my money in the "long review" dept. Keep up the good work! :up:

I'm not being sarcastic. Nice to get new blood to add to the mix of the B/T opinions.

Thanks, Dread, it was because of these forums having a bought/thought thread that I decided to join after lurking for years. True story. I just reviewed them as I read them. It's not so tough to do a bunch of mini reviews when you do it like that. :yay:

First order of business: Eliminate Bought/Thought threads, thus eliminating Dusty.

Darth I like, Not Love, your Avvy.

I know that was slightly confusing but i thought if i said LOVE that i would get the obligatory GAY comments and im tired.

Long reviews? Pfah, I say!

That's like the perfect weapon, so long as it doesn't accidentally run into any passing asteroids, large spacecraft, or any one of countless planets and stars that likely lie between Earth and some planet on the opposite side of the galaxy.
Muh? It's space. Space is empty. Y'know that we're not set up like dominoes, right? Seriously, you can throw a star-sized object in any one direction in the universe and 99.99999% of the time you're not gonna hit anything but the black. Planets and systems float millions of light-years apart from one another, much less tiny debris that'd get torn right apart by a bullet the size of Nevada anyway. Heck, even with the course intricately plotted with superscience, there's a darn good chance that the bullet'll miss Earth entirely.

...Hey, that's probably what's gonna happen. Kitty's going to do something to tilt the trajectory a bit and the bullet (with her on it) is just gonna keep on sailing.

Anypoo,

Astonishing X-Men #24
"There is a bullet pointed at this planet's head."

Fun with foreshadowing!

What to say? Big action, pretty people, and what remains some of the very best dialogue and plotting that the medium has ever seen. What I like so much about these kinds of stories is the chessboard-like feel to the story. Some pieces here, other pieces there, some set up a long time ago, some set up very quickly, all moving and converging on a very specific end. It's the same feel I got from something like Infinite Crisis, another of my favorites.

I find that a lot of stories tend to fall into one of two groupings, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. In one type of story, you get fewer characters and fewer plot points and the Reader Camera is zoomed in superclose into the details and the focus and the intricacies. The plot is tight and defined and it's easy to get personal and follow along in this microcosm, but you sacrifice epicness and high fantasy for it and, well, you have to work really hard to make it at all interesting. A lot of times, it simply isn't. See below re: Crime Bible for a story of this sort.

On the other hand, the alternative is to throw in a huge variety of characters and plotpieces and bright, macrocosmic storytelling with a dozen things going on at once and warring against one another for The Battle to End All Battles, which is classic superhero storytelling and the kind that ends up being the most fun...but of course, the more you have to juggle, the more incoherent and unstable your plot feels. Sometimes things feel outright wrong and with glaring mistakes and stuff. See below re: Messiah Complex for a story of this sort.

My point? It's very rare for any one series to be able to balance the two extremes, much less a series without 9999 tie-ins. This one does it and does it well.

It's a little annoying that Scott -- who just, like, blew up reality five minutes ago with his eyes -- can't do anything but fire little pyew-pyew beams at Ord and Kruun. But it's not like he actually lost to them so I guess it's okay. Plus, he probably needs to fill up his power meter after that hyper combo finish.

(9.2 out of 10)

X-Men #402: Messah Complex Final Chapter
Hey, wait, doesn't Archangel have healing blood? Why didn't he just bleed on Xavier? Meh.

Hmm. I actually don't...dislike it, per se. I do, but I don't. It all ended up being exactly what I expected, which may be why the numbness to it all now.

But then, I couldn't help but utterly joygasm when the identity of the baby was...maybesortakinda...revealed. I started to guess immediately last week that Jean was going to be the baby when Ramos put visibly red hair/green eyes on the kid. I really hope that she is. She is their redeemer, the Phoenix from the ashes, the pinnacle and representative of ultimate mutation. I would have been ticked if they had just forgotten about her in the midst of all this.

Which of course doesn't save the event itself. Everyone has pretty much covered the weaknesses and outright faults of this series by now, myself included; it was a complete recycling of the 90s. The plot is choppy and utterly without depth for such a large event. Most scenes seem to begin and end with the notion of throwing as many characters onto the page as possible and seeing what happens. I've read through every word of this entire event and I still couldn't tell you what the hell some of these characters were doing or what their motivation was. An entire half of the story was devoted to revealing the SHOCKING and EXTREME and ASTONISHING and and UNCANNY and SHOCKING secret that...mutants in the future are persecuted. Like they have been in every single possible future we've ever seen. Wow guys, wow.

Which leads up to the thing that's been said before and needs to be said again: WTF, Bishop? Serially; we're talking ZOMGWTFROTFLMAO on an astonomical scale here. I don't even understand if his motivation to kill the baby even makes sense. He has no idea what the baby does, he has no idea when or when or how it even leads to "his" future (which has already been retconned so many times by this point, who even knows the specifics of "his" future anymore?), he doesn't even know if killing it will hurt the timeline even worse...and yet, with no visible changes in his demeanor, he simply has no choice but to go Liefieldian CRAZY and start shooting people.

And the worst part of it all is that, by the end, absolutely nothing has been resolved. We don't know what the hell has happened, Bishop's bigass betrayal is just completely unresolved, Cable just went...somewhere, sometime, Layla is still stuck...whenever. Mutants are still doomed and, oh yeah, Xavier is dead or whatever, again. Dozens of plot points have just been granted "to be continued" status. What the heck was the point of all this, then? Just advertisement for future books? Yeah, welcome to the 90s indeed. X-Men go through hard times and end up not really winning for no purpose whatsoever.

In spite of all that, in spite of all that incompetence and questionable storytelling...this series does deserve a fair bit of credit for being one of the most coherent and well-planned crossovers from either company in years. The story may not have been coherent, but the structure definitely was. I can definitely see how this would reinvigorate interest in the flaccid X-titles; it really was the most tolerable and most well-thought-out "event" that the X-books have had from Marvel for years. And that's worth a lot.

(5.9 out of 10)
(7.5 out of 10 for the entire event)

Wonder Woman #16
It gets better and better, and so much is being done right here. There's not a single panel in this issue that made me go, hmm, nah, that shouldn't have happened...and many that made me go, oh yes, that was totally awesome. And this is only Simone's third issue? There's an entire run of this left to go? Awesome.

I think the first six pages is my favorite, honestly. And considering the remaining twenty-two contains gorilla soldiers versus Nazi army, that's a tall claim to make. But two things about that intro really pleased me
1) It may very well be the first time since freaking Perez that Wonder Woman's origin story has been directly explored...and explored well. Of any mainstream superhero, much less one of the Big Three, Diana really does have one of the least iconic beginnings, but it's really cool to see Simone doing so much with it. She's not just a golem. She's not just crafted from clay. She's a daughter and a symbol and salvation.
2) Alkyone has truly become one of the most sympathetic and understandable villains ever. She's, like, a complete antithesis to the dozens upon hundreds of cliche villains out there that do nothing but waste our time with their completely lack of anything remotely resembling interest (coughcoughSABINAcoughwheeze Winickcough).

Other things that I liked? Well, the use of the golden lasso remains possibly the best use of the golden lasso that anyone has ever used. Also, I really like that Simone had her recite poetry. One of the things I've always ferociously detested about Wonder Woman in the nineties is that so many writers -- mostly writers on other books, but some of her own writers as well -- found absolutely nothing for her to than to fight all the time and that she had no interests than to fight all the time and spar and fight and spar with other heroes and be fighting. When Superman wasn't fighting, he was a reporter; he had other interests. When Batman wasn't fighting, he was being a detective. Good writers like Rucka, of course, gave her interests and a career and things that she was other than just a fighter...and with the return of the Diana Prince identity, one of the things I really worried about was that, once again, she'd just be fighting when she wasn't fighting. But here, Simone showed that she could fight and have other interests as well; it's just poetry, sure, but a little goes a long way.

(9.6 out of 10)

Young Avengers Presents: Patriot
Pretty good overall. It's not quite at the level of Heinberg -- sigh -- or Wells, but it gets the job done quite well and the characters are all pretty in-character. The sign on Billy's door is still the very best thing ever.

There's a bit of an after school special tone to the book, and some of it really straddled the line of heavy-handedness. But when you think about it, there's really no other way to tackle the kind of issues that...they're tackling here...and have it not feel at least a bit heavy-handed. Because it's heavy topic.

Now, Bucky giving an inspirational speech about the American ideal? That was kinda weird. I'm not the foremost expert on Buckyology, but he always seemed to be less of an inspirational speech kind of guy and more of a kick you in the face kind of guy. He himself references this repeatedly in the issue, being all "Meeeh Steve was so much better at this," and then proceeds to give flawlessly inspirational speeches anyway. Maybe he's just training himself for the real deal.

(7.6 out of 10)

Blue Beetle #23
Hey...since when did the Scarab start talking in English? Did I totally miss the part where it went from an alien alphabet to stylized English?

Anywho...GAHHH, this is so good. Y'know how I said it's rare to have a series that balances an assload of longterm surplus with intimacy and small-scale characterizing? This would be another one of those rare series. There's weird stuff with plot elements that are completely out there, and yet it's never so out there that you wouldn't be able to follow. And then there's just the right amount of smaller moments and dramatic storytelling without taking you out of the larger scale story. It's flawless. There's nothing to complain about here.

And also? "This is about the point when Ravager tries to stab somebody and Robin starts that grind-y thing with his teeth. You're way cooler." Complete motto and quoted for fiery, brilliant truth.

(9.7 out of 10)

Speaking of which,
Teen Titans #55
Mm. I'm gonna start to trade-wait this, if I even buy it at all.

When did everyone become such gigantic asshoel *****ebags? Rose was always a *****ebag, but everyone else? First of all, "Not entirely convinced he's Titans material?" There's a Titans material now? Isn't the whole point of the Titans supposed to be to help train younger heroes who aren't...material...yet? I love how Tim makes a big deal about how bloody freaking Supergirl of all people is so right and ready for the Titans...but Jaime isn't. Man, Jaime has been more adult and responsible and "ready" for this thing than the rest of the current Titans combined.

Cassie and Tim have more issues and act like *****ebags to each other. Yay? Of all the forced and unorganic couples there are out there, these two take the top spots. Hell, they fill up the top ten with how forced and unorganic their "relationship" is. I'm sort of glad that it's..."over," now, but I'm sort of not glad that it had to be over in such a *****ebaggy way.

Someone else mentioned on another board that Miss Martian is basically just Raven 2.0 at this point, and I gotta agree. This whole "Titan goes eeeeeeeevil" story has been outplayed to the point of insanity.

And meanwhile, the art? Man. I don't think I've ever hated good art so much. It's good art because it's...well, technically good, but everyone looks so old and ugly here. They're teens! Teen Titans! They shouldn't be old and only very occasionally ugly.

I still hold out hope that McKeever will somehow drag this series out of the ass imprint that Beechen left it in, but that hope is dwindling fast. I mean, up next is..."Terror Titans?" Seriously? When we just now got finished with a horrible storyline about horrible "evil Titans" that no one in their right mind gave a sht about? Maybe McKeever is just prolonging the slow and painful death of this franchise.

(3.1 out of 10)

52 Aftermath: Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood #4: Murder: The Reckoning: Electric Bugaloo: The Director's Cut: Blu-Ray Widescreen Edition
There's a very Silence of the Lambs tone to this issue, in a good way. There's a psychopath on the loose, and like all good literary psychopaths, his psychopathy ties into the theme of the story in a profound manner. Well, maybe not that profound; whereas the prior "lessons" of this series sort of made you have to think to solve the mystery and delve a bit into the subtleties of the story, this one is a bit more in-your-face and pretty much spells out the "lesson" for you in clear concise letters. You'd understand when you read it. It's not a bad thing, though, and it's still as much of a twist as the prior issues.

A lot of what I can only assume are Vic Sage's prior supporting cast shows up in this issue, and I'm glad Rucka is utilizing them in such an organic manner. Renee herself doesn't have a supporting cast as of yet, so here's hoping some of them at least sticks around.

(8.7 out of 10)

Countdown to Mystery #5
Whoa there, lots and lots of text.

A bit of an odd turn for both the stories in this series. Eclipso story delves into Bruce Gordon's increasingly complicated life and mindset and the Fate story explores psychology via comic book writing. They're both interesting concepts, but it feels a bit slow especially compared to earlier chapters. And did I mention the lots and lots of text? Again, it's interesting text -- the comic book within a comic book was definitely a cool idea -- but I kinda just wanted to get back to the plot already.

(3 out of 10 for the Eclipso story)
(3.5 out of 10 for the Dr. Fate story)
(6.5 out of 10 overall)

Superman/Batman #45
Man, I'm sad that there's not quite as much zany lines and in-jokes here as there was in the last issue, but this issue does pretty well anyway. A lot of great interactions, and Hiro is still packed to the brim with awesome. All in all, it was doing quite well...until "Aquaman" showed up.

Man, it must have been something in the water (L. O. L. ), 'cause he was like the biggest whiney *****e ever here. And I don't understand the argument he made. I really don't. I read it over and over and it still doesn't seem to make sense. It never once occurred to Superman that the world wouldn't be grateful for a savior? It never once occurred to him that people wouldn't want it to be save for him to do his job? And that's why he shouldn't collect the Kryptonite? Because people don't want it to be easy for him to save them?

That's ******ed. That's epic ******ed. Just because people might feel that way doesn't mean they're right. Just because people might want Superman to be challenged -- and I'm not saying that they don't -- doesn't mean it's the correct attitude. Yet Aquanewb just throws that out there like it's the most profound wisdom ever, and then Clark and Bruce just make emo faces and think emo thoughts about it like it's the most profound wisdom ever. It's a harmful and paranoid attitude borne out of the imperfections of the world, for them to constantly look over their shoulders at him. It's practically Marvel.

Yes, I understand that people might need to have a way to take him down, just in case he...I dunno, goes crazy or whatever...but I don't see what that has to do with a chunk of Kryptonite lying on the bottom of the sea. I further don't see what that has to do with Aquanewb's original objections about them...harming the dead city it fused to or whatever. And the way that A-newb put it was just really weird, like "How DARE YOU want us to want you to help us easier!!? The auDAcity!! You inhuman *****ebag!!!!!111"

Well at least Hiro's still awesome.

(6.7 out of 10)

BW I didnt know you read Superman/Batman I love this book but I posted ina B and T a while ago and no one responded about the bok so i thought I was the only one who read it. lol

I just started picking it up it again with the last issue and new writer, 'cause it was just too filled with in-jokes and funny one-liners to pass up. Pretty good writing, too, all things considered.

BrianWilly, i just wanted to say that i completely agree with you in your review of Messiah Complex. I feel like you and me are the only ones who felt disappointed by this event. It was fun dont get me wrong, but this whole event was advertised as something monumental that was FOREVER gonna alter the status quo of the x-men....yet all the event did was raise a million questions. The ending was very unsatisfying and anticlimactic. I dont see how this event differed from any of the other 90's X-Men events.

I really think that the only reason people are at all pleased with it is because the X-franchise had been handled so clumsily lately that by comparison, anything's gonna smell good. It has several really strong scenes, but they're all tied together by some ridiculous plotting.

I mean, the giant Big Shock Secret of Bishop going psycho was one of the weirdest OOC character assassinations ever. And then Xavier dying, which was almost a comical moment, what with everyone just standing around whining and then "Meh, let's move on."

You two aren't the only ones aho felt that way. Like I mentioned in the B/T thread, it just reaked of Avengers: Disassembled to me. Bishop goes nuts and kills someone, and that's the story. Yawn. It's a real shame because leading up to it, it was a pretty solid story.

BrianWilly, i just wanted to say that i completely agree with you in your review of Messiah Complex. I feel like you and me are the only ones who felt disappointed by this event. It was fun dont get me wrong, but this whole event was advertised as something monumental that was FOREVER gonna alter the status quo of the x-men....yet all the event did was raise a million questions. The ending was very unsatisfying and anticlimactic. I dont see how this event differed from any of the other 90's X-Men events.

I wasn't disappointed with the entire event. I felt the ending was schlocky and heavy handed, and it really detracted from the whole thing, but overall I didn't hate it.

Different ending and I would have been pleased. I'd just like to see the heroes WIN for once in the MU these days.

You two aren't the only ones aho felt that way. Like I mentioned in the B/T thread, it just reaked of Avengers: Disassembled to me. Bishop goes nuts and kills someone, and that's the story. Yawn. It's a real shame because leading up to it, it was a pretty solid story.

Yeah, what he said.

Yeah, and when you factor in things like the X-Men disbanding FOREVER and the mansion being left in ruins and everyone being scattered to the four corners, it's almost EXACTLY like Disassembled. :down

Yeah, but I think the X-Men writers are well aware of the fact that this is all bull**** and everything'll be set right again soon. Professor X isn't really dead, as we know from Legacy. Bishop's useless as an X-Man, so I don't have a problem with his turn as a villain playing some crazy Quantum Leap/Sliders game with Cable. I think the event itself fell way off in its last couple of chapters as a story, but I think it did a decent job of setting things up for the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"