Bought/Thought for 1/23/08

If it's all bull****, why did I shell out $39+ to read it? It might set things up well for future stories, but that doesn't change the fact that this story was lame attempt at aping the success of Disassembled. Hell, Marvel even released a teaser image for this story with the headline, "X-Men: Disassembled."

Yeah, which is why it didn't bother me. I knew what it was going in. Mediocre though the ending may have been, you have to admit, it at least told a far better story than Avengers: Disassembled. I think I mostly got my money's worth on it, except for the last couple of chapters. That's enough for me.

How was the story better, though? There was not a single answer given to the multitude of questions asked throughout the series. Also, how is using character assassination a better story? It's the same story.

Is it? I don't know, maybe I never read enough Bishop stories to get a real feel for the character, but I didn't find his portrayal horrible or anything. We get heretofore-unknown information about his future and how it came to be, but unlike the Scarlet Witch, it actually makes some sense. This isn't retconning the same story that was covered in the '80s but making Wanda suddenly go crazy in the present from it. This is something that Bishop could've just had in the back of his mind, knowing that the day would come when he'd have to choose a path--either stay "good" and remain an X-Man, or go "bad" and possibly spare the whole world the horrors of his native future. Those are far bigger stakes than a couple of imaginary kids Wanda came to terms with the loss of decades ago. The character change in Bishop seemed a lot more plausible to me.

I read the X-books all throughout the 90's and it did not seem plausible to me. Bishop's a tactical genius and a planner. He's not a reactionary murderer who'll kill or risk anyone in his path to accomplish his goal. It was horrible characterization.

The complete 180 with all his deception, yes. I could've lived without him suddenly going absolutely crazy and trying to kill everything that moved indiscriminately. But his obsession with the baby works for me. That looks like it's going to carry over into Cable's book, which also works for me. I would've preferred if Fitzroy or someone else from his future decided to hop back and kill the baby instead, but I guess it just doesn't bother me that much because I never took much of a liking to Bishop. The only time he interested me was when he got flung out to that alternate future where he was some kind of nomadic badass. He had a cool costume at that point, too. :up:

The complete 180 with all his deception, yes. I could've lived without him suddenly going absolutely crazy and trying to kill everything that moved indiscriminately.

But how could the character assassination in A: D bother you and this doesn't?

Even if you don't care about Bishop as a character, that level of hack storytelling in making a character just change to fill the needs of the plot is lazy. I can't support that.

Xavier isn't dead; Exodus and the Acolytes stole his body (hence, it vanishing in the last panel and no one noticing).

I liked MC; it was more of a springboard than a resolution, but I like the things its launching, and I get the sense the franchise has a strong direction now, which is A Good Thing.

But how could the character assassination in A: D bother you and this doesn't?

Even if you don't care about Bishop as a character, that level of hack storytelling in making a character just change to fill the needs of the plot is lazy. I can't support that.
So you're not buying Quantum Sliders featuring Lone Cable and Cub anymore?

So you're not buying Quantum Sliders featuring Lone Cable and Cub anymore?

No, I'm totally buying it. Like I said, MC might have set the stage for some cool stories, but the way it went about doing that was ultimately garbage.

No, I'm totally buying it. Like I said, MC might have set the stage for some cool stories, but the way it went about doing that was ultimately garbage.
On that, I'll agree. Everything concerning Bishop in MC was pretty lame in the end, but I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Sidebar: I really wish they could've named the series Quantum Sliders featuring Lone Cable and Cub now. :)

Jerry O'Connell is finding his way into my life again recently. Weird.

What, did the two of you go out for drinks last night? Were you his wingman?

Ultimates 3 #2 - Words cannot express just how terrible this issue was. Suffice to say, Jeph Loeb has proven that he has become a hack and can longer produce an even mediocre comic book. The fact that Loeb is trying to pass this **** off as the Ultimates just adds insult to injury.

What, did the two of you go out for drinks last night? Were you his wingman?

No, I had just managed to go years without having a single thought about him and now he's all over the internet with his Tom Cruise video and you've got my thinking about how much I miss Sliders.

I read the X-books all throughout the 90's and it did not seem plausible to me. Bishop's a tactical genius and a planner. He's not a reactionary murderer who'll kill or risk anyone in his path to accomplish his goal. It was horrible characterization.

I miss District X.:csad:

WWH Aftersmash: Damage Control #1
Damage Control is back! McDuffie proves that he can still write well, too. This is pretty much exactly what anyone who's read Damage Control should expect of it. It's got the old cast of characters coming back, Mrs. Hoag being as matriarchally awesome as ever, and new stuff like Tom Foster, whose journey up to this point has honestly kind of sucked. But who cares if he managed to knock the gigantic chip off his shoulder over the course of like 3 pages? He's now a perfect fit for Damage Control, which is all that matters to me. It's not like anyone else was gonna use him for anything good. This volume of Damage Control also sweeps that ******ed MGH nonsense away nicely with Mrs. Hoag telling Robin that she was wrong to replace her with Walter Declun. Oh, and Salvin Espa's art with modern coloring techniques makes this probably the best-looking Damage Control ever. I'd recommend this to pretty much anyone who liked the office stuff in She-Hulk or just solid comedy books that live and breathe really organically within the Marvel universe. :up: :up: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"