Bought/Thought May 3rd

Weeks like this are the reason I love comics.

Ultimate Spider-man #94 - If they could kick the Reavers asses like this why didn't they do it in one of the other issues?

Marvel Team Up #20 - I'm sorry.....I thought I bought another great issue of MTU......but instead I apear to have been readin Rent 2. What's up with that?

Underworld #4 - Nice, finally a good book in the midst of all this aparent Dribble. Though it's all going by a little quick. It was great. Bless you Tieri, Salude.

Apocalypse vs Dracula #4 - Oh Tieri how you let me down. Actually this was an adequate finish to an Adequete mini. It wasn't horrible but far from wonderful.

Infinity Crisis #7 - I actually feel that I missed out on a lot by not reading other tie ins and ****. Bad DC, Bad. They shouldn't do this to me. If I am reading 7 issues I should not be missing things. Sure throw Bonuses in to the tie ins and allude to them in the core Mini....But don't leave **** out for me.

Exiles #80 - NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Proteus got Morph
Great issue though. I loved it. Back to what Exiles should be...But...then again. Damn you Beddard. You are leaving the book and wiping the team clean. **** you sir.

Civil War #1 - Nice good start.

Sentinel Squad ONE #5 - I can't seem to actually want to read this book. Wish I coulf have don that for the first ones.

Memo to Marvel Comics:

You really should have let Mark Millar write House of M. Cause Civil War is how you do a kickass Marvel Event comic.

10/10

Am I the only one who had a problem with the way the New Warriors were played? I mean, meek, submissive Microbe making a gay joke at Night Thrasher, whom he near reveres. Or the fact that Night Thrasher went ahead when he had to know how powerful Nitro was.

also, why is it this is the big deal; the super-villain blew the area up, and destroyed so-many lives, including the heroes. this has happened hundreds of times before. and why is everyone blaming Speedball?

Zoken said:
Am I the only one who had a problem with the way the New Warriors were played? I mean, meek, submissive Microbe making a gay joke at Night Thrasher, whom he near reveres. Or the fact that Night Thrasher went ahead when he had to know how powerful Nitro was.

also, why is it this is the big deal; the super-villain blew the area up, and destroyed so-many lives, including the heroes. this has happened hundreds of times before. and why is everyone blaming Speedball?

600 plus lives isnt something you just ignore. Also add the fact it was all caught on video and Speedball was talking about ratings instead of safety and securing the bad guys, theres no way to spin it. They messed up, and big time.

Picked Up CW#1, loved it, nothing wrong with the 616 as I see it.

Ultimate Spidey #94, I liked the action, don't like the Ultimate DP though.

WTF! the network is to blame at best for pusing the NW so hard and so fast.

I still don't see this being legitimate in the Marvel universe. I mean howmany lives were lost on M-Day? How many lives were lost in all the super-hero battles over the years, and just now they decide "Oh hey, its the HERO's fault, not the villains the ones who won't turn themselves in anyway."

M-Day wasn't so much a tragedy. Remember; people don't like mutants.

Zoken said:
WTF! the network is to blame at best for pusing the NW so hard and so fast.

I still don't see this being legitimate in the Marvel universe. I mean howmany lives were lost on M-Day? How many lives were lost in all the super-hero battles over the years, and just now they decide "Oh hey, its the HERO's fault, not the villains the ones who won't turn themselves in anyway."

Not many lives were lost on M-Day that wasnt self inflicted. Losing your powers doesnt equal hundreds of children dying at all. The point is before when these events happened they were almost never caught on tape, most of it was speculation. Its Nitro's fault for blowing up yes, but also Speedball acted recklessly and was even told by his teammates that they were out of their league and should get help. He said it didnt matter, ratings did, all this was caught on tape. They were reckless and self centered. And now the blood of 600 people is on their hands, or at least to the new Warrior who survived.

EDIT: Also, other instances were mentioned where civilians were put in danger. The bombing of Philadelphia in Captain America and Hulks rampage in Vegas.

Infinite Crisis #7
An excellent end to an excellent series.

I have some complaints...the art was sketchy in some places -- you can really tell which were the pages that were added last-minute -- and the subplot with the Spectre pretty much ended up going nowhere at all and it was really unclear just how the heck the fight against the villains finally got resolved, though I imagine that the tide was turned when the big guns showed up.

The rest of it was just flat-out awesome. Loved Wonder Woman's scene with Batman and Alex. And Superboy against the Green Lanterns. Taking Superboy into f'ing red sun Rao itself. Superman-2's death scene was great, since what he said was really cool: even if he dies or is changed or whatever, the idea of "Superman" will always be around.

Superboy's carved "S" at the end reminded me of the S that Tom Welling sometimes has on his chest in Smallville. It's fitting, since they're both just about as whiny:D.

Pretty much the most epic story I've ever read in a comic book comes to an end. The bar has been set pretty f'ing high here, people.

(9 out of 10)

Civil War #1
Let's be straightforward: this was a pretty great start. A very well-written issue with decent enough dialogue -- thankfully the Millarisms that irritated me so much in Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates aren't quite as noticeable here -- and seriously awesome action. There was only one real glaring instance of mischaracterization, but the rest of it was just fine.

The single largest problem I could identify is that, frankly, nothing happened here that I didn't expect to happen. Disasters happened exactly the way we were told they would happen. Schisms formed exactly the way we were told they would form. I had long since suspected that Captain America would be written here as a political polar opposite of how Millar writes his Ultimate counterpart, and it's playing out pretty much the way we'd imagined it would. I know that if I didn't want to be spoiled I could just quarantine myself from the internet for a few months, but honestly, I shouldn't know this much about an issue just by looking at the solicits and reading the interviews.

Susan Storm making light of Spider-Man's concerns over revealing his identity is completely out-of-character. In her own book less than a year ago she's had some humongous concerns herself over her public identity and how it has affected her children and family. I mean, her children were abducted and one of them was sent to hell. I can understand her not being against the idea of having a public identity, but for her to say "It's not a big deal" to someone about it is just flat-out wrong.

This is a nitpick, but I just can't help thinking that Speedball is only becoming the Jar Jar of the Marvel universe because Quesada has some mad-on against him. It's a ridiculous thing to think, but just last year Quesada was making cracks about killing him off and how everyone would love to see him dead and how he's a lame, unusable character...and here we are today and we see him sparking national warfare. That's just tacky, I mean come on.

Another nitpick, albeit a bit more significant: Someone brought up in the other Civil War thread that it's simply not realistic for Millar to say that there are no "right" sides in this war because just by having Captan America take sides you are inherently advocating that the side he is on is better than the other, and I think that sense is very prominent in this issue. Isn't he supposed to be "the" hero, after all? Isn't he supposed to be the flawless, shiny-toothed emblem of morality in this universe? Iron Man isn't as iconic, Spider-Man's the fallible everyman, and Wolverine is the anti-hero, but Cap is The Man. He's the symbol, the icon. When you have him say, "This is wrong," how exactly do you effectively argue the ambiguity of the issue...especially when you're proposing that the other side isn't completely right, either? And especially moreso when the most present voice arguing against him in this issue is Agent Hill, who's being written as a sneering, posturing, unlikeable bully...pretty much the way that most corrupt government officials get written.

On the whole though, this series is heading off in the right direction. Let's hope it sticks.

(9 out of 10)

Teen Titans #35
Okay, wow...didn't see that intro coming:eek:. I mean, geez, I'm a product of 90s media and all but naked girls handcuffed on a bed did not seem like regularly scheduled programing the last time I was aware:o.

Pretty decent issue. Everyone's personalities are really shining through despite this being only the second issue and most of the characters are either new or OYLed.

Cyborg keeps saying that they're getting the "real" Titans back together, almost acting as a voice for those fans who don't like this lineup change ("Where's Bart?? Where's Conner??")...but I highly doubt that Johns is going to ditch Ravager and Kid Devil anytime soon. He seems to be having a ball writing them.

It's interesting to see how Cassie is going to interact with Wonder Woman when she comes back, considering that Cassie has now gone completely towards that ethical extreme which Diana herself had very, very clearly forsaken at the end of IC.

(8.9 out of 10)

I agree Brian Willy, I just dont see how anyone would not side with Cap after this issue.

After Millar's crappy Spider-Man run I was hoping he'd never touch the character again but here he is at it again.

The dialogue he gives Peter is so out of character. "until the day I come home and find my wife impaled on an octopus arm and the woman who raised me begging for her life". Please, Spider-Man doesn't talk anything like that. Even the worst hacks like Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanaugh got Spidey's dialogue ok when they were writing the character.

Pathetic, Millar. :down

Not such a big thing but there are still several issues left. I dread what he has Spidey say next. :rolleyes:

tt said:
After Millar's crappy Spider-Man run I was hoping he'd never touch the character again but here he is at it again.

The dialogue he gives Peter is so out of character. "until the day I come home and find my wife impaled on an octopus arm and the woman who raised me begging for her life". Please, Spider-Man doesn't talk anything like that. Even the worst hacks like Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanaugh got Spidey's dialogue ok when they were writing the character.

Not such a big thing but there are still several issues left. I dread what he has Spidey say next. :rolleyes:

I really don't see anything out of character about that dialogue.The whole argument of what characters should sound like is ever raging and inconclusive.

tt said:

Heh, that sucks. :o

At least this week's FNSM was pretty good. :)

tt said:

HOLY GOD - that was VERY in character for Spider-Man unless you wanna hear him say "Oy" and "Booties" some more. :down

No, Spider-Man doesn't talk like that.

I haven't read the issue and I'm not planning to but that's just bad dialogue coming out of Spidey's mouth. The message itself isn't that bad but how Millar had him say it is un-Spidey like.

Was it just me, or did anyone else wish they were Robin in Titans this month?

Somewhere in CW it mentions that Wolverine threatened to kill the President, where did that happen?

And this is kind of weird, I hear Marvel is marketing CW in the south as "The War of Marvel Agression."

It was in his own solo title, an arc entitled "Enemy of the State," which Millar himself wrote.

BrianWilly said:
It was in his own solo title, an arc entitled "Enemy of the State," which Millar himself wrote.

Ah, taking after the Punisher I see. I wonder if Frank will show up in CW?

The Batman said:
Memo to Marvel Comics:

You really should have let Mark Millar write House of M. Cause Civil War is how you do a kickass Marvel Event comic.

10/10

Damn right, makes me wonder how he would have done the Avengers book instead of the Ultimates.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Was it just me, or did anyone else wish they were Robin in Titans this month?

If it weren't for Rose's eyepatch or her smoking habit, then hell yes.

I cry every time I think of Millar leaving the Ultimates...

*cries*

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"