Bought/Thought May 3rd

BrianWilly said:
Infinite Crisis #7
Civil War #1
Another nitpick, albeit a bit more significant: Someone brought up in the other Civil War thread that it's simply not realistic for Millar to say that there are no "right" sides in this war because just by having Captan America take sides you are inherently advocating that the side he is on is better than the other, and I think that sense is very prominent in this issue. Isn't he supposed to be "the" hero, after all? Isn't he supposed to be the flawless, shiny-toothed emblem of morality in this universe? Iron Man isn't as iconic, Spider-Man's the fallible everyman, and Wolverine is the anti-hero, but Cap is The Man. He's the symbol, the icon. When you have him say, "This is wrong," how exactly do you effectively argue the ambiguity of the issue...especially when you're proposing that the other side isn't completely right, either? And especially moreso when the most present voice arguing against him in this issue is Agent Hill, who's being written as a sneering, posturing, unlikeable bully...pretty much the way that most corrupt government officials get written.

On the whole though, this series is heading off in the right direction. Let's hope it sticks.

(9 out of 10)

i agree that when they say there is no right side, it's a little hard to take when you consider that cap is on one side. but i'm also willing to give millar the benefit of the doubt and let the rest of the series make up my mind on that.

Yeah but after seeing Cap, it's kinda hard NOT to side with him...

I know I'd be for it. His line about superheroes staying above the law makes sense, if not, they would be told who to fight.

PWN3R RANGER said:
I cry every time I think of Millar leaving the Ultimates...

*cries*

I don't like Ultimate Marvel, good stories but I hate the changes to the characters and how they are characterized. It makes me happy to see him leaving the Ultimates. Maybe he'll now write more 616 books and just maybe see how he what he can do with the Avengers with 616 characters. In my opinion, that would kick ass.

I'll grant ya th' smokin', Hippie (nasty habit, dunno why anyone does it), but th' eyepatch don't bug me none. All I know is a character named after stupid bird is one lucky bastard.

hippie_hunter said:
I don't like Ultimate Marvel, good stories but I hate the changes to the characters and how they are characterized. It makes me happy to see him leaving the Ultimates. Maybe he'll now write more 616 books and just maybe see how he what he can do with the Avengers with 616 characters. In my opinion, that would kick ass.

Yeah, that would be a nice switch. My opinion too, maybe take NA or something?

WOLVERINE25TH said:
I'll grant ya th' smokin', Hippie (nasty habit, dunno why anyone does it), but th' eyepatch don't bug me none. All I know is a character named after stupid bird is one lucky bastard.

Filthy habit and imagine all the kinky things she wants to do with that eye socket :(

I can see her bein' kinky, but I doubt it'd go THAT far.

Wouldn't his power protect him?

NinjinSteve said:
I am ASSUMING that Speedball is the member of New Warriors that survived BECAUSE if you go to marvel.com's Marvel Universe section, and look up the profile for Nitro....it lists the people he killed, and Speedball aint one of them.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Nitro_(Robert_Hunter)

Wow, I guess we now Know for a fact. Man, Marvel sucks. They need to freaking stop telling us the answer to everything before it happens. It takes away the enjoyment of their books.

JewishHobbit said:
Wow, I guess we now Know for a fact. Man, Marvel sucks. They need to freaking stop telling us the answer to everything before it happens. It takes away the enjoyment of their books.

It was revealed in the book, in the CNN or w/e news guy's report.

Speedball had no respect for those who were dead, translation=Speedball survived...

GNR4Life said:
Civil War #1

Phew!The tone has really been set.The sides are clearly defined,all that awaits is which sides the remaining heroes will fall on.Also surprised to see Spidey not siding with Tony.It was only natural to see Tony,Hank,and Reed side together after the rel'p they have with each other as inventors and brilliant minds (which we saw in Mark's EOTS).Agent Hill's views were very clear and agreeable.Lots gets accomplished here without dialogue.

All in all,one hell of a start. A

The Thing #6
Despite not being a fan of the new artist,this could possibly be my favorite issue yet.A+

Civil War 1 is simply amazing. If the story and artwork stay this good, this could be the best series produced this millennium to date. Marvel needs to make sure that artist, Steve McNiven is locked up with Marvel forever. He may be the best in the business right now. Great to see Yellowjacket back playing in the big leagues!

I've enjoyed The Thing so far but I just couldn't cope with this new artist. The art, up until now, reminded me of the George Perez Thing. If this artist stays, I just can't keep reading this book.

moffball said:
Somewhere in CW it mentions that Wolverine threatened to kill the President, where did that happen?

I loved the fact that Civil War stayed VERY true to Marvel continuity (Philly bomb from Cap, Hulk trashing Vegas, Wolvie mind controlled rampage) but it still seems like the perfect book for new readers and fans that haven't read Marvel in a while. That's a tough thing to pull off. This one exceeded all my expectations.

I've also REALLY enjoyed all the Annihilation Wave books. Silver Surfer and Nova have really shined.

I was planning on only getting the main Annihilation books, got the prologue, but I'm hearing such good things on Nova. I'm gonna check it out...

PWN3R RANGER said:
It was revealed in the book, in the CNN or w/e news guy's report.

Speedball had no respect for those who were dead, translation=Speedball survived...

You read that wrong. The CNN guy thinks Speedball is dead.

"...like Speedball for example. Nobody likes to speak ill of the dead, but here was a boy who, by all accounts, couldn't even name the President of the USA."

Speaking ill of Speedball = speaking ill of the dead

I refuse to accept my mistake....:(

We've secretly replaced Joe Quesada's brain with a gerbil on a wheel. Let's see if anyone notices!

Civil War = This was an awsome read, but there's still a continuity err that bugs me. In the end of the New Warriors Mini, their show was canceled, and in this suddenly they're on season 2? That bugs me. Otherwise, it was great. I loved the art, and I love Cap's stand. I'm glad that Speedball seems to live, but I'm sad to loose Night Thrasher. Oh well. And in looking at some of the covers for the tie-ins, wow they look amazing. I'm specifically looking forward to Wolverine's hunt for Nitro and in Quicksilver's being in X-Factor.

Exiles - Good issue. For the most part I've been kinda let down with this World Tour. It was a good idea, but not well done. They've gone to too many worlds and didn't spend enough time in them to make them feel special. I loved 2099, but none of my favorate characters showed up, and all they focused on were two of the characters I only averagely cared for. And there was little to no point in the Squadron Supreme world. Anyhow, I will say though that this Future Imperfect arc was pretty good. The ending was great, but I don't think that person will die in the end. I think his unique physiology will save him in the end. It better anyhow!!! I'm already mad about Mimic as it is.

Sentinel Squad O.N.E. - Overall I've found this mini to be pretty interesting. I've grown to actually care about the men and women in the Sentinels, and it's made me appreciate some of the previous appearances they've made more. Briggs really got under my skin, but I'm glad to know that he is now dead, since Deadly Genesis 5 (though I'd like to know why he was a scaredy cat and then suddenly brave). Overall, I'm glad I bought this mini.

Infinite Crisis - Haven't read any of them yet, but I have them all. I'll read them eventually.

X-Men The End - I don't care about these books anymore, they've gotten too far off the wall for me, but if I've bought the first 15 books, I can spend money on the last 3 issues to get the whole story. I specifically thought that the reveal about Dust was from left field, and I am so freaking sick of the Phoenix, enough is enough.

Hmm, oh, and I bought the new Fantastic Four, but then I realized it was only a reprint of a few issues back, which I already own. It made me mad, but I happened to have dripped some water on my bag of comics without realizing it, and it was the FF reprint that I didn't actually want that protected the important reads. For that, I shall always be greatful :)

JewishHobbit said:
Infinite Crisis - Haven't read any of them yet, but I have them all. I'll read them eventually.

Hmm, oh, and I bought the new Fantastic Four, but then I realized it was only a reprint of a few issues back, which I already own. It made me mad, but I happened to have dripped some water on my bag of comics without realizing it, and it was the FF reprint that I didn't actually want that protected the important reads. For that, I shall always be greatful :)

I did the exact same thing with Fantastic Four (Not the dripping water thing but the unintentional double dip). I wonder how many other people bought this thinking it was a new story? I read too many books to remember this generic looking cover from the FF. It does say "2nd printing" on the logo but it doesn't jump out at you.

Either I'm a bigger Marvel slappy then I thought or else Infinite Crisis really was bad. The artwork seemed rushed and the storyline was awful.

Ya know, those second prints these days usually end up worth more than th' originals. Just a mention.

About the IC 7 being picked up fast...

I got my stores LAST copy of IC7 two hours after they opened. I went back right before close, and they had sold out of the 75 copies of CW1 already. So I guess they are really blowing through those.

6 comics this week.... quite a busy time. Especially when ALL of them are worthy of a read.

Infinite Crisis - And so it ends. All of Johns' major foreshadowing pays off (so that's why we got a joker one pager in IC2, Wonder Woman's use of the sword against Mongul) and might I add that the real heart and soul of this story is the Supermen. Our Superman finally returns to his heroics after years of mismatched writers and intepretrations. Say what you will of Johns, but the man writes an iconic Superman. However... not all is well with this title. What the hell was up with Dick Grayson? So he gets seemingly killed or at the least critically wounded, with severals panels on subsequent pages showing his battered face. Yet at the end he's all well and good with Tim and Bruce? A single line of dialogue would've helped this out tremendously. This also hurt Batman's usage of the gun against Alex. What was his motivation? Sure, Alex killed off Connor. But considering the sheer amount of tragedy Bruce has dealt with (the crippling of Barbara and the death of Jason), it's ridiculous to see him nearly kill Alex. Was John's trying to set it up so that Dick's near-death gave Bruce enough reason to think about killing Alex? It makes sense given the characterizations of both heroes, but the inane way Dick Grayson's "moment" was handled really takes some of my love for the title and tarnishes it. Also, couldn't we have gotten one page showing Batman and company taking down Deathstroke, Talia, Dr Light etc? Sloppy.

Civil War - I'm hesitant to read this. I have an inherent dislike for the mainstream marvel universe. Then I started to read Brubaker's Daredevil run... I'm willing to give this a chance. We'll see.

Outsiders 36 - Wow. I've missed issues like this. I love it when one issue is just a massively detailed, brutal action scene. Plus, Dick Grayson is in character. Always a plus. And to top it off, a nice cliffhanger.

Teen Titans - Go screw yourself Cyborg. Johns' rarely missteps in terms of motivations, but for Vic the mentor to suddenly turn into Vic the overly selective makes little sense. His mistreatment of Kid Devil and Ravager is appalling. With that said, Ravager is finally given a personality. Plus, Wonder Girl has really turned into a great character as well.

Action Comics - Another example of the iconic superman I expect from Johns and Busiek. I'm seeing more of Busiek's influence as this series continiues, which makes me a very happy camper. My only real complaint is that the source of Superman's power loss is ripped rather directly from Spider-Man 2... but these things happen.

Detective Comics - I don't care for Robinson's Batman. There, I said it. The guy is an excellent writer; the "backup" story with Jason Bard is incredible and a testament to Robinson's writing ability. But the Batman A-plot is a pure waste of space. No plot advancement whatsoever that could'nt have been condensed into last issue. The Batman that I like, respect, and admire is not Robinson's intepretation of the character. While I'm glad that Batman's paranoid side is over, I really wished we would've gotten a return to the Loeb Hush-era Batman instead of this overly chummy and rather plain imitation.

I gotta agree about Nightwing. Wtf was up with that? Very, VERY sloppy. Goes back to my comments about Johns trying to fit in too much. Speaking of sloppy, the art... :down It looked so great in places, but the fact that DC was using fill-ins was incredibly obvious. There were some pictures that looked just plain awful.

Posted by JewishHobbit:
This was an awsome read, but there's still a continuity err that bugs me. In the end of the New Warriors Mini, their show was canceled, and in this suddenly they're on season 2?

Maybe there was a massive fan write-in campaign that, combined with high DVD sales, got the show a second chance? ;)

IC #7-WOW

Supergirl #6-getting better, my comic guy slipped me the varient, cool. 8/10

Teen Titans-hot damn! lol 9.5/10

thing #6- i loved the $20 scene lol whats with the DC symbol on the construction guy's chest? 8/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"