Breaking the realism?

I don't know if this is really on topic for this thread, but wasn't sure were else to post about it...

had this idea for like, I don't know, like after credit kinda scene, or something

ok, so, lets say if by the end of the movie Thor is sent down to earth as Donald Blake

I think it would be kinda neat to have, Ty Burrell, make a cameo scene as Dr. Samson, again
showing him in a therapy section with Blake, with him talking all about how he believe he's a God,....ect.

Samson could be a good way to tie him in with the other movies with out any big name cameos

though, acually this could also work for Fury's cameo tie-in
have them in section, talking, he's saying all this stuff about things to came that he's suppose to help stop
and you cut to Fury watching them on a screen (cause, Shield would probably have Samsons office bugged)

and maybe you see like it pan out to show a whole walls os screens with Fury looking up background on Blake, and stuff
it would be kinda cool if he had one screen that was like a graphical map, search for all recent impacts from meteor showers or what have you, to get a reading on Thors Hammer

I don't agree with this because it's too much like Ulty Thor, this isn't the Ulimates. There's no reason for Thor or Blake to be in Therapy.

I mentioned in another thread that Thor and Blake shouldn't be interchangeable, either. I know big brother is watching and all, but a god who's going out and making enemies every day ought to keep his human side a pretty closely guarded secret. I don't think SHIELD should know Thor and Blake are the same.

Thanks for clearing that up for me about the Ultimate Thor storyline, Vartha.
Personally, I like that angle for the movie but I have to admit that the "Ulty" costume is freakin' HORRIBLE!
But I'm confused about one thing you said though, my friend. How do we know that they are planning on following the "classic" story for the movie? I might have missed it, but as far as I have heard nothing has been officially said regarding this and the script hasn't leaked yet. I'm not against that version at all, I just wondered if you all know something that I don't yet.
BOTTOMLINE:
I'm so curious as to what Marvel, Branagh & co. are gonna do with the mighty Odinson! I'm sure that this flick is gonna ROCK!

(All I have to say is that Marvel had BETTER do the Cap. America movie RIGHT, though!!!!!)

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me about the Ultimate Thor storyline, Vartha.
Personally, I like that angle for the movie but I have to admit that the "Ulty" costume is freakin' HORRIBLE!
But I'm confused about one thing you said though, my friend. How do we know that they are planning on following the "classic" story for the movie? I might have missed it, but as far as I have heard nothing has been officially said regarding this and the script hasn't leaked yet. I'm not against that version at all, I just wondered if you all know something that I don't yet.
BOTTOMLINE:
I'm so curious as to what Marvel, Branagh & co. are gonna do with the mighty Odinson! I'm sure that this flick is gonna ROCK!

(All I have to say is that Marvel had BETTER do the Cap. America movie RIGHT, though!!!!!)

Well Triad I've read the first draft of the script AND the WRITER is a BIG fan of the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Tales of Asgard that were in the back of Thor comics about Thor's boyhood which is not in any Ultimates book yet.
The way the script reads is alot like those Tales of Asgard, not to mention many of the characters in the script are only in the "Classic" or 616 ONLY so far.
Mark Protosevich does borrow some idea from the Ulty Thor but it is more 616 Thor.

If ANYTHING buy the "Ages of Thunder" Trade paperback, in many ways it's like the movie script, it has the same feel. The writer of the Trade paperback, Matt Fraction, actually used REAL Norse myth and applied it to Marvel's Thor to tell the story of how Thor became banished to earth.

Awesome! I'll check out your suggestion, Vartha! Actually, I was considering on doing a little research on the character before the flick hit but didn't know where to start. Thanks!

By the way, I hope you didn't take my last comment as disrespectful. I was just curious because I haven't read (or heard anything about) the script and wasn't aware that you had already been privy to the 1st draft.

Last edited:
Well there are plenty of books.
At the moment there's a 6 issue mini series of Tales of Asgard out, it just started with the reprints of the orignal Lee stories with modern recolor of Kirby's art!
BUT like I said Ages of Thunder deals with Thor being banished to earth and until that book there's been nothing about it but hearsay in the comics, they only mention it. Ages of Asgard sold out the singular 3 issues too when it was out just to give you an idea of how much people liked it.

By the way, I hope you didn't take my last comment as disrespectful. I was just curious because I haven't read (or heard anything about) the script and wasn't aware that you had already been privy to the 1st draft.

No problem Triad. tho there HAVE been THREE more rewrites to the script, I hope for even more Epic of a script. Byt the way, I added a section in the Thor world thread title Must reads in case you forget the Trade name. I also added another Trade called Thor Blood Oath you may like too.

I don't agree with this because it's too much like Ulty Thor, this isn't the Ulimates. There's no reason for Thor or Blake to be in Therapy.
there wasn't really anything to agree or disagree with, it was just a random idea

I don't know much about Ulty Thor (I was not basing the idea on that version)
I was just thinking in terms of bringing in the realism, the guy thinks he's a god, people are going to think he's crazy...

but, I was also thinking that maybe he doesn't know that he really is Thor, yet, he has memories, dreams, about being Thor, but, just thinks he's going crazy (cause he also knows or thinks he's Blake, and has fake memories of his life as Blake)

as for the Fury part I was just making that up as I went along...
with the thought that Fury would be able to figure out that this Blake doesn't really exist, and start look into what he's been saying, and realizes that maybe it is true rather he knows it or not he is Thor
then find him, tell him he believes him, an helps him regain his powers

I don't really like the idea of Blake being a secret Identity, with him changing back and forth, I kinda prefer, he is sent to earth in a human form, but, once he finds his hammer he permanently turns back to Thor

or something like that

The secret identity's fine, I just want it to remain a secret. SHIELD should approach him as Thor, since it's Thor they'd want. This is a cool scenario for SHIELD approaching Thor that I posted in another thread:
I don't really like the idea of SHIELD approaching Blake as if he and Thor are interchangeable. I'd prefer to see them approach Thor himself. You know, like he saves a boat caught in a storm at sea and Cap drops out of a helicopter just after.

Cap: You're a hard man to find. We've had an entire unit tracking storms across the globe, looking to see if the sightings were true.
Thor: I am not a man and I do not appreciate being stalked.
Cap: Fair enough. But you've got the wrong idea. People are talking about your recent... activities. "Miracles," they're calling them. I can't comment on that; I'm just a simple soldier. But the people I work for seem to think, if the rumors are true, that you might be interested in what we have to offer.
Thor: And what could your "people" possibly offer me?
Cap: A chance to do some good. To help people on a scale not even you can imagine.
Thor: ... I am listening.

there wasn't really anything to agree or disagree with, it was just a random idea

I don't know much about Ulty Thor (I was not basing the idea on that version)
I was just thinking in terms of bringing in the realism, the guy thinks he's a god, people are going to think he's crazy...

but, I was also thinking that maybe he doesn't know that he really is Thor, yet, he has memories, dreams, about being Thor, but, just thinks he's going crazy (cause he also knows or thinks he's Blake, and has fake memories of his life as Blake)

as for the Fury part I was just making that up as I went along...
with the thought that Fury would be able to figure out that this Blake doesn't really exist, and start look into what he's been saying, and realizes that maybe it is true rather he knows it or not he is Thor
then find him, tell him he believes him, an helps him regain his powers

I don't really like the idea of Blake being a secret Identity, with him changing back and forth, I kinda prefer, he is sent to earth in a human form, but, once he finds his hammer he permanently turns back to Thor

or something like that
That's why I said it's too much like Ulty Thor Spider. They the Ulimates originally treated Thor like he was a loon because he claimed to be a god.
Having Blake getting therapy from Samson is barely any different.
I understand what you're saying I just didn't like how Millar did the same idea with Ulty Thor.

I don't mind other people within the movie thinking he's crazy. Claiming to be the Norse god of thunder is a pretty crazy claim (until he starts proving it with his powers, anyway). As long as it's kept explicitly clear to the audience that Thor is indeed the Thor--which should be simple given that we're getting a whole movie on his past in Asgard before Avengers comes out--the perceptions of the other Avengers are fair game. Read the early Avengers comics and you'll find that even in the "main" (non-Ultimate) Marvel universe, some of the other Avengers didn't quite know what to make of Thor. The scientists were skeptical about him, Cap respected him pretty quickly, the Wasp didn't care because he was so hot, etc.

The back story is what MAKES Thor. The average person doesn't KNOW Thor's story.
This isn't sci-fi it's Fantasy no wormholes etc. Thor is a different kind of superhero, one that SCIENCE can't explain, so why bother trying to make it more difficult than it is?

Thor's a being that lives for thousands of years with powers. nothing to explain except for getting banned from Asgard and why.

I am not looking for sciency explanations, I just don't want the questions of "who", "how" and "where" to go completely untouched. Some kind of explicit discussion saying that this is beyond our current understanding would be fine, but I would like to see the subject of these mysteries be approached in the film.

Stark asks, "Is he 'the' Thor"

Fury - "He seems to think so"

"Where is he from"

"We don't know. He is definitely other worldly, but we don't know where he is from. Another planet, another dimension, another time... All of the above."

"Another dimension??!?!? The guy probably drank some toxic sewage and got struck by lightning... Now he is thinks he is the Thunder god"

"That very well could be... bottom line, there are lots of phenomenon in the universe that we don't undertand... lots that we don't know anything about at all... He fits in that last category."

"OK... then what is he doing here???"

"That is what I mean to find out."

Sounds good, but I'd have someone other than Fury give the explanation. Fury seems more like the type to take a "who gives a f*** whether he's really Thor, as long as he's working for us" ideology--especially his Ultimate incarnation, which is obviously the version they're using for the films. Maybe if Hank Pym makes it into the Avengers movie, he could explain it. He's more the type to be fascinated by Thor and question his nature.

I am not looking for sciency explanations, I just don't want the questions of "who", "how" and "where" to go completely untouched. Some kind of explicit discussion saying that this is beyond our current understanding would be fine, but I would like to see the subject of these mysteries be approached in the film.

Stark asks, "Is he 'the' Thor"

Fury - "He seems to think so"

"Where is he from"

"We don't know. He is definitely other worldly, but we don't know where he is from. Another planet, another dimension, another time... All of the above."

"Another dimension??!?!? The guy probably drank some toxic sewage and got struck by lightning... Now he is thinks he is the Thunder god"

"That very well could be... bottom line, there are lots of phenomenon in the universe that we don't undertand... lots that we don't know anything about at all... He fits in that last category."

"OK... then what is he doing here???"

"That is what I mean to find out."
I can see this, until they're taken TO Asgard and then they believe.
I'm wanting to know what the writers have ADDED since the first Draft of the Script. I know there HAS to be something like THIS now at the end because there wasn't before and when they announced the Avengers was going to be made after Iron-Man's first weekend there was announced that the Thor script was being worked on again.

Sounds good, but I'd have someone other than Fury give the explanation. Fury seems more like the type to take a "who gives a f*** whether he's really Thor, as long as he's working for us" ideology--especially his Ultimate incarnation, which is obviously the version they're using for the films. Maybe if Hank Pym makes it into the Avengers movie, he could explain it. He's more the type to be fascinated by Thor and question his nature.

That's a good idea... the dialogue could be Stark / Pym, with Fury sitting nearby, giving the last line. "That is what I mean to find out."

In regards to the mention 616 Thor or 616 marvel universe, What, when and how did the 616 come about or even mean?

616 is the Omniversal designation for the main Marvel universe (the one all the mainstream comics take place in) in Alan Moore and Alan Davis' Captain Britain run.

OK, but what are they sigificance of the numbers 616?

There are different stories. The one I've heard most often is that Alan Moore was unhappy with Marvel, so he gave their main universe the "number of the Beast" (i.e. Satan), which can be 666 or 616, depending on which translation of Revelations you're going by.

OK, but what are they sigificance of the numbers 616?
One of the Editors came up with it a few years ago.
Marvel has different "universes" and to keep the confusion down he gave the ORIGINAL line of Marvel comics the designation of 616.

One of the Editors came up with it a few years ago.
Marvel has different "universes" and to keep the confusion down he gave the ORIGINAL line of Marvel comics the designation of 616.

FYI Joe Q and the others HATE the term "616". They prefer to call it "Marvel Proper". I like it better too, it sounds much less "fanboy-esque" than the extreme inside reference of 616.

To add to what was said, in the ultimate universe (as opposed to 616) people think Thor is a nutcase, instead of seeing him as a true God. So when people refer to ultimate vs 616 on the Thor boards, usually that's what they're alluding to.

FYI Joe Q and the others HATE the term "616". They prefer to call it "Marvel Proper". I like it better too, it sounds much less "fanboy-esque" than the extreme inside reference of 616.
Yeah I prefer that too Aztec, (not to confuse anyone anymore) when you have some thing like the Lord Thor arcs going into the future they designated THAT Thor 3515 because of the whole MU2 universe.
I can see "mu proper 616" to refer to THIS time, but all alternate time lines should be something else like the MU2.

I just call it the "main Marvel universe" to people who aren't into comics. But on these boards, I use "616." Most people who are into comics enough to post on a message board seem to know what it means, and if they don't, it's not that hard to explain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"