'Brilliant' Bond seduces critics - bbc.co.uk

ultimatefan said:
I´ll tell you, this is the most excited I been about a Bond movie in years. I been feeling for a long time the franchise had become a prisoner of its formula and needed a serious reinvention.

Agreed. I had no anticipation before Die Another Day was released. And then when I saw it, it was a disappointment IMO.

Totally opposite with this. Bond is back.:cmad:

To be fair, the first time the teaser trailer for DAD was shown, most people thought it would be the best Brosnan film to date. That whole opening sequence with the "When danger becomes a temptation" catchphrase and the gun exploding and the bullet turning into the Vanquish sliding across the ice sent the crowd into a frenzy when they found out it was a Bond movie.

True, but DIE ANOTHER DAY didn't have such blatantly positive critical reaction, either.

That's a fair assessment. I think many "Bond fans" have been critical of Brosnan's tenure as James Bond and whether this criticism is a microcosm or truthfully depicts a broader sens or feeling amongst movie audiences, who can truthfully say.

Craig looks like he will continue the legacy of great performances and his films will be a great addition to the Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and Brosnan entries. As a Bond fan, that's all you can ask for.

Well DAD had a great marketing campaign. I was psyched. And regretably many critics liked it. I remember it opening to over 75% good reviews saying "it was throwback to what Bond needs to be" and I entered the theater and for the first 30 minutes or so I believed it....then we came back to London and by the time we reached Iceland the whole thing fell apart then.

I hope US audiences don't misinterpret Craig's performance as an anti-hero....and then turn their backs on him saying he was the "evil' Bond. Sorta like we misinterpreted Connery's "menace" and toughness with charm and playfulness. C'mon...do we want Bond the bully...or Bond the super sauve spy? I guess we'll see.

DACrowe said:
I'd agree. Lazenby was a poor man's attempt at being Connery. Dalton tried to be Connery but serious and Brosnan infused all 3 previous Bonds into his performance with a little of his own charm and interrpretation of the character (he is fractured but he hides it and drowns it in sex and liquor as opposed to Dalton who wore it on his shoulder ready to pop every scene).

Craig looks like he'll give a great performance but I'll need a little more convincing this is the same screen Bond in the sequel I think.

Dalton was more like Fleming's Bond than Connery's Bond

this close to the release and only this many people have come to join the Bond discussions...yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"