Bruce Lee's "Warrior" pitch being turned into a series by Justin Lin and Cinemax

I'm cool with it coming to HBO Max, even though I don't have that service yet.

The producer — daughter of the late Bruce Lee — tells us she hopes the addition to HBO Max will help give the show a breath of fresh life.

Agreed. I enjoy the show as is, but hope that this streaming service brings more attention to it if people missed out on the first- and upcoming second- season on Cinemax. Hopefully also, per the article, since the story doesn't end with Season Two, a third season could come down the line.

Warrior's Jonathan Tropper on Show's Massive Second Season, Potential for Season 3, and More

Ah Sahm & Season Two
ComicBook.com: We get to the end of season one, and Ah Sahm's not in the best shape. That last episode, he's beaten, broken, and battered. Where's he find himself at the beginning of season two?

Jonathan Tropper: Well, we hint at the end of season one...the very last thing you see in season one is that he's rejoining the Hop Wei. Season two finds him in the Hop Wei again, but in a much more aggressive and ambitious place than he was in season one. Season one, he was kind of like the new guy figuring everything out. Season two, he's not very driven to make the tong as powerful as possible, because he wants to avenge that beating he took in season one. He wants to take out his sister's tong. You find him much more aggressive and making moves to kind of bolster the power of the tong.

You say he's going to be much more aggressive. Before, obviously, he kicks plenty of ass — but also he's shown restraint at times when needed.

I would say season two is Ah Sahm unleashed, for sure. You'll see that from the first frame of the first episode for season two.

Epic Fight Scenes
That's the thing a lot of people talk about is that huge elaborate fight sequences. You're sitting down to develop and write season two...was there a sense of urgency in saying, "We have to go bigger. We have to do more elaborate fight pieces?"

Not necessarily more elaborate, but we just have to make sure that we continue to raise the bar of what we're asking of our fight coordinators. That's the case, I think, on any show. For us, our fights always have to tell a story. You never want to just have token fights. You never just want to say we're 15 minutes into the episode, it's time for a fight, and just have people do a bunch of martial arts and have a fight.

Every fight has to come out of a character need, and every fight has to actually tell a story. Once you sort of make that your mandate, it becomes less about how do we top last season, and it's more about who's fighting with whom and what's at stake. I think that's really what fuels the fights as opposed to we need more flying kicks.

That said, we did say a big part of this show has to do with the iconography of Bruce Lee. It was really important to me that we continue to celebrate the iconography of Bruce Lee, so I made sure that somewhere in season two, Ah Sahm gets his hands on a pair of nunchucks.

You mention Bruce. I know you are a kung fu fiend, but is this the type of situation you require the room to go back and watch his stuff for inspiration?

No. I don't think you need a room full of kung fu fiends, but I did have a room full of pop culture geeks and a room full of action movie geeks and people who really just appreciated some of the shoulders that the show was standing on. If I was ever talking about a particular moment that I wanted to use as an inspiration, right in the room, we would just find it on YouTube and project it onto the wall and discuss those things.

It wouldn't be good if we were all kung fu fiends in the room. You need different kind of writers in the room. We had playwrights, we had genre writers, we had more character writers. It was kind of a mix.

You mentioned earlier, fights have to tell a story. I'd like to know more kind of about your process on that front. How in-depth are you for writing these scripts? Obviously, there's a stunt coordinator, a fight coordinator, and all that. Do you script out every punch yourself, or do you leave it up in part to the coordinators?

I do script out every punch, but that doesn't mean that's what we shoot. I script out the entire fight so that my stunt coordinators get a very full understanding of what the story I want the fight to tell is. Brett Chan was our fight coordinator, and he's one of the best in the business. Brett, in addition to his very strong martial arts background, he's been doing this a long time, he has a really good understanding of the script.

What will happen is I will write out the whole fight, but those guys won't just shoot what I write, because they're much better at this than me, so they'll take the intention... but by writing the whole thing out, I give them my intention. They'll then take the intention and choreograph a much better fight.

It's a collaboration where I'll write it one way, Brett and Johnny will choreograph it a second way. I'll look at what they've choreographed, make a few comments based on where I think maybe it's moving away from something, and then we'll end up with the final fight. It was a very easy and fluid collaboration.

Have you ever run into a situation where you scripted something so over the top they're like, "No, we have to tone this down a bit?"

I've never heard any fight coordinator ever say to me, "We have to tone this down a bit." Once in awhile, they'll come to me and say, "The particular actor you're writing for won't be able to pull that off, and we want him to do this," or "That scene you're writing,"... I kind of had a rule, I didn't want any wire work on the show. I felt that our martial arts had to be very grounded, and I would occasionally write something, and Brett would say to me, "That's going to require a wire, but we can do this instead," and he would show me something much more grounded, brutal, and cool. It was that kind of collaboration.

Once you've done the first few episodes, you get a pretty good sense of what you can and can't write. My attitude was always to try to go for broke in the script and then let the reality come after that.

Future of Show
Before the second season officially started filming, Cinemax pulled the plugs on originals. Does that mean season two's the end for Warrior? Do you guys plan on shopping it around at all? Is there a season three planned?

Right now, unfortunately, there is no plan for season three. The configuration of the whole HBO/Cinemax organization became such that Cinemax is not budgeted to make new shows, and they're not budgeted to produce television anymore. We always have hope, but the way things are structured right now, we would have had to already have been shooting our third season, and we have not been. Currently, I don't see a lot of hope for a season three, but I never say never.

I have to remind myself that this show airs on Fridays. I don't have Cinemax for one, but also I just don't watch or know of that many shows that debut new episodes on Friday.

Man, Friday’s episode was seriously epic! :wow:

Next week’s the finale, which makes me bummed out as I really enjoy the show! All we can hope is that S3, even though it seems slim right now.

Well there is talks of taking the show over to HBO Max so season 3 may premiere there which could be a good thing. Anyways loved last weeks episode this show IMO is very underrated.

I honestly can't decide which episode is my favortie of this season between 8 and 9, because both were equally fantastic IMO, but damn that street brawl episode 9 was all kinds of EPIC, especially the bit with Ah Sahm using the Nunchuks among many of the badass moments spread throughout.

God do I love the fight choreography in this show and what makes even better is that they definitely don't shy away from the gore in this show. I also felt pretty bad for the demise of a certain character, but it was satisfying seeing that comeuppance even if the dude deserved to get it even worse.

I’m also very happy that Joe Taslim’s Li Yong got a lot more screen time and character depth this season!

Man, he and Andrew Koji are about to kick ass on the big screen as Sub Zero and Storm Shadow!

I shouted in joy when Ah Sahm used the Nunchucks!

That was one of those series-defining moments for me. But having just finished this episode...damn. Just damn. I mean, I knew the lynching of Jacob would just blow up the powder keg that's been building all season, but this whole Chinatown riot, on a staging perspective, was nothing short of spectacular. I'd really love to know how they staged this all out. If it had been nonstop fighting after Jacob's murder, it still would've been a great episode, but I liked the quieter moments as well.

This is, for me, comparable to the earlier seasons of Game of Thrones, where the second to last episode is huge and climactic, and I'm left wondering 'Well, what are they gonna do in the finale?' Now I'm really left wondering what's left, after all the destruction. Really hope this show gets to continue. I don't know the viewership numbers for Cinemax shows, and we know they're ending their original programming, but I'd love if Warrior could find new life on HBO Max.

Also, Andrew Koji is just a damn beast! Plus, great to see Father Jun back in the game.

That finale was pretty damn satisfying IMO, especially the extended brutal, brawl between Leary and Ah Sahm which is definitely something I'm sure most of us have been waiting for ever since we got that brief tease of a fight at the end of last season. I spent this whole season just waiting for it to go down and I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

They were pretty subtle about it, but I feel like there is definitely a little more mutual respect shared between those two by the end of this season even if they are far from being friends and I can't say I saw things going that way Penelope, but Buckley is ruthless and slimy like that.

I saw Lee hooking up with Abigail coming a mile away, but I did wonder why they took so long getting to it. Great season overall though and I really hope we get a Season 3.

That finale was pretty damn satisfying IMO, especially the extended brutal, brawl between Leary and Ah Sahm which is definitely something I'm sure most of us have been waiting for ever since we got that brief tease of a fight at the end of last season. I spent this whole season just waiting for it to go down and I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

They were pretty subtle about it, but I feel like there is definitely a little more mutual respect shared between those two by the end of this season even if they are far from being friends and I can't say I saw things going that way Penelope, but Buckley is ruthless and slimy like that.

I saw Lee hooking up with Abigail coming a mile away, but I did wonder why they took so long getting to it. Great season overall though and I really hope we get a Season 3.
Agreed I hope we get a season 3 as well but the way they were talking during the behind the scenes part made it seem like this was it.

The fight with Leary and Ah Sahm was just great. One thing I've liked about Leary is he's an antagonist who can actually back up his words with fists. He's no martial artist, but the man is built like a damn tank and can take a punch or two or 10 while still being able to hit hard on his own. Was waiting for that moment when he'd enter the political scene and I can't wait to see what influence he has.

Assuming we get more. With Cinemax ending original programming, and HBO Max no doubt wanting more content, the platform would make for a great future home for Warrior. Hoping the reveal of Ah Sahm and Xiaojing being related doesn't drive too big of a wedge between Ah Sahm and Young Jun. As was pointed out, Ah Sahm would've been dead had he revealed it earlier, but from how Young Jun spat after looking at that artwork, maybe he's still feeling burned by the reveal.

The fight with Leary and Ah Sahm was just great. One thing I've liked about Leary is he's an antagonist who can actually back up his words with fists. He's no martial artist, but the man is built like a damn tank and can take a punch or two or 10 while still being able to hit hard on his own. Was waiting for that moment when he'd enter the political scene and I can't wait to see what influence he has.

Assuming we get more. With Cinemax ending original programming, and HBO Max no doubt wanting more content, the platform would make for a great future home for Warrior. Hoping the reveal of Ah Sahm and Xiaojing being related doesn't drive too big of a wedge between Ah Sahm and Young Jun. As was pointed out, Ah Sahm would've been dead had he revealed it earlier, but from how Young Jun spat after looking at that artwork, maybe he's still feeling burned by the reveal.
I think Young Jun is jealous of Sahm more than anything and fears what he could become.

Last edited:
I think Young Jun is jealous of Sahm more than anything and fears what he could become.

Late reply.
I think it's more about the brotherly relationship and trust that Saham broke that bothers Young Jun, not jealousy. I also think that it doesn't fit Young Jun to be jealous of Saham because he could possibly upstage him, it's a low and Jun proved himself as a leader.

So I just spent the last week or so binging this show and telling practically everyone I know to do the same. It’s phenomenal. Everything from the story to the acting to the fighting to the set and costume design to the social commentary. It’s damn near perfect and there absolutely HAS to be a season 3. I hope the moving the show to MAX will get it the attention it deserves. If a martial arts show like Cobra Kai (which isn’t one-tenth as good) can get picked up for multiple seasons, this definitely can. There’s just so much more story to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"