Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, just joking man. He really did feel "not right" to me though. I really really disliked his performance and the way he was written. It was unnecessary screen time wasted.

I already suggested something like that. But I do think that suddenly showing Anna Paquin's Rogue flying around punching through walls and buildings might be a huge leap.

Maybe it's better to see creative use of her power absorption abilities, which she has hopefully now mastered. If Storm was zapped from the skies and left injured, or if Colossus was felled, then maybe she could borrow strength and flight from them for an action scene? It somehow seems a more logical progression.

The way Rogue STOLE powers from random mutants (and especially her friends) in X-men Evolution always bugged me. You almost lose all sympathy towards her. I don't know if that'll work in the movieverse.

That's what bugs me the most honestly. There's really nothing 60's about him at all. And I HATE the scene at the CIA where we see his contemporary undergarments under his clothes. :doh:

I might've missed that. Were they Calvin Kleins?

The way Rogue STOLE powers from random mutants (and especially her friends) in X-men Evolution always bugged me. You almost lose all sympathy towards her. I don't know if that'll work in the movieverse.

Yeah especially considering it's completely out of character for her. She hates using het power and only uses it in exyreme situstions but we're supposed to believe she'llshe'll borrow yhem from other X-Men even though it could kill them.

If they ever decide to use Juggernaut again, (probably not in this movie) would people prefer an actor portray him, like in Last Stand, or do a CGI Juggernaut with a mo-cap suit? Just curious.
Vinnie Jones return please. I didn't mind the muscle suit, but it can't be flesh, it needs to be covered up.

Also, regarding Rogue with the numerous powers, in the DoFP future they can go the Legacy route where she absorbs mutants powers as a remembrance to falling/fallen mutants.

I also didn't mind the muscle suit. It was the helmet that was laughably bad. I'm usually not one to tout Ultimate X-men as a model for the movies but I really liked the direction they went with Ultimate Juggernaut's helmet (just not shirtless). I don't know his personality per se in that series, as he only showed up after I stopped reading the books, but I would imagine Ultimate Juggernaut to not have lines, which was what Vinnie (or any character that played Juggernaut in X3) should have been.

Also, regarding Rogue with the numerous powers, in the DoFP future they can go the Legacy route where she absorbs mutants powers as a remembrance to falling/fallen mutants.

Yes, exactly, she wouldn't be maliciously stealing powers. She would do so to honour the fallen, probably if a dying mutant asked her to take their powers in order to continue the battle against Sentinels.

yeah, Singer could gives her a emotional twist regarding the use of others power.

and if she 'steal' the power of another x-man/woman, Singer could easily show that both agree with that, and that its not the first time Rogue will use his/her power, specially if DOFP is set 5 or more years after X3.

all the x-men have trained all this time and have had some missions here and there, so we all can accept that Rogue has used the power of her mates more than once during these years.

That's something really issue to suggest on the sequel, and wouldnt need a whole minute to tell that

If they ever decide to use Juggernaut again, (probably not in this movie) would people prefer an actor portray him, like in Last Stand, or do a CGI Juggernaut with a mo-cap suit? Just curious.

If they are gonna bring back Juggernaut, they should use Vinnie Jones again. I don't want another Sabretooth scenario. And they could easily improve his costume, its not that hard to pull off his helmet in the comics.

Juggernaut's costume was the least of the problems with that movie.

and if she 'steal' the power of another x-man/woman, Singer could easily show that both agree with that, and that its not the first time Rogue will use his/her power, specially if DOFP is set 5 or more years after X3.

all the x-men have trained all this time and have had some missions here and there, so we all can accept that Rogue has used the power of her mates more than once during these years.

That's something really issue to suggest on the sequel, and wouldnt need a whole minute to tell that

They could definitely go with that approach, but the question is will Bryan Singer showcase the true potential of Rogue. I felt like he always held back when it comes to the powers of Rogue and Storm. So I wouldn't be surprised if things didn't change for those two.

I think Rogue with flight and super strength would be too powerful for this film series. All of the characters are more grounded than their comic counterparts. Having her gain 2 new powers would turn her into a super mutant. She would definitely overshadow the other x-men as she's flying around smashing bad guys.

I think Rogue with flight and super strength would be too powerful for this film series. All of the characters are more grounded than their comic counterparts. Having her gain 2 new powers would turn her into a super mutant. She would definitely overshadow the other x-men as she's flying around smashing bad guys.

Making Rogue look really powerful wouldn't overshadow the other X-Men as long as they make all of them bad-ash looking. They could do a lot with Iceman's power and they could make him do those "ice-slides". Storm could do those super electric attacks and big whirlwinds. With Colossus and Wolverine, they could give them those intense fight scenes.

Making Rogue look really powerful wouldn't overshadow the other X-Men as long as they make all of them bad-ash looking. They could do a lot with Iceman's power and they could make him do those "ice-slides". Storm could do those super electric attacks and big whirlwinds. With Colossus and Wolverine, they could give them those intense fight scenes.

exactly.

And at the end of the day, Rogue wont be superstrong during the whole movie, since her powers dont last too much, so she could shine during 30 seconds, and the the focus would move to next mutant, and all of us will end soo satisfied with Rogue flying and attacking a sentinel from the air.

just the thought of it gives me excitment.

That's what bugs me the most honestly. There's really nothing 60's about him at all. And I HATE the scene at the CIA where we see his contemporary undergarments under his clothes. :doh:

Nothing really 60s about any of the kids really. Was mostly disappointed in how they handled the 60s tech though, especially the X-Jet.

we should thank Matthew and the writer about this lack of 60's feel, for sure

thats the big problem of this franchise, the writers and director dont always give the actual x-men the best material.

And you know.... this movies are called.... well... X-Men.

so.... some things should change, in my modest opinion.

Charles was spot on I thought. Same with Shaw. Erik evoked Bond, so I give it to him as well. Everyone else... meh. They didn't play around with the 60s culture enough in my opinion. Oh well. Movie turned out fine.

I disagree, I think that all the past films had more "meh" characters. XMFC was the best in the series for me.

I liked the characters, I'm just talking about how 60s-ish they were. Which wasn't much.

Only three characters I liked from FC Xavier, Magneto and Moira, in that order. I was pleasantly surprised about Xavier, I knew Magneto was going to be featured prominently especially with his Bond-ish storyline.

But that's it, Shaw was too cheesy. Emma was dull. Angel, Darwin, Azazel, Riptide were uninspired. Banshee and Havok were only ok nothing too special. The less said about Beast and his make-up the better. Jennifer, when she's in scenes with Xavier I thought was good. But when she's with the rest of the kids, she acted like a kid too.

I liked Xavier, Magneto, Mystique and Shaw. I thought okay were Banshee, Beast and Emma. Angel Darwin, Havok, Riptide...all meh.

I disagree, I think that all the past films had more "meh" characters. XMFC was the best in the series for me.

IMO, FC definitely have more meh villains. The only villains that really stood out are Magneto and Sebastian Shaw. Mystique wasn't a villain yet.

With the past films, you have Magneto, Mystique, Stryker, Senator Kelly, Pyro and Lady Deathstrike (imo she was good even though she was UTR). Sabretooth of Origins wasn't so meh too especially if the film wasn't so cheesey and cliche.

It's kinda unfair to compare the villains of just one film to the combined villains of the rest of the series.

Personally, with the big exception of Ian Kellen's Magneto, I liked Shaw more than any other villain from the earlier films. I can see why some would find him a tad cheesy but I thought that he had a certain joie de vivre and style about him, kinda like an old-fashined James Bond villain (and that sense of style is actually something that he and old!Magneto have in common IMO). You can tell that Kevin Bacon had a ball playing the character. Villains like Stryker and Kelly work fine in their respective films but they are just so dour and humourless. Original!Mystique is heaps of fun to watch but she's too mute for my liking. I like my villains a bit more verbal :)

And while Erik and Charles are by far my favourite characters in FC, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the secondary characters the last time I rewatched the movie. Even when the characters aren't that interesting individually they still add something to the group dynamics. Which is true of the original trilogy as well.

Last edited:
I think Eric, Beast, Shaw, Banshee, Havock, Mystique and Charles were brilliant. I wanted more of Darwin. Emma should have been better written. Riptide, Azazel and Angel were too quiet and Moira was awful :(

I thought Mystique was represented the best in X2. She was all over that movie! I still snicker when she rolls her eyes at Storm in Stryker's base.

I really hated Kevin Bacon's Shaw. I guess he would've been ok as a Bond villain, but this isn't a Bond film. The SF/X of his powers was somewhat on the cheesy side too and they definitely looked unfinished CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"