BTAS Batman or Nolanverse Batman?

I couldn´t care less. I don´t like the character. But he suffered a mutation, right? He is no longer a simple human that, all of the sudden, can´t die. Is Joker a super human too? If he isn´t..well...bad writing...

1) So the fact of his mutation into a shape-shifting monster is more plausible to you than a man riding a rocket?

2) You forgot to answer the question about the verisimilitude of Two Face surviving injuries that would seemingly have been fatal to others in that movie.

But "good" writing, surely, is writing that is efficiently employed to meet its purpose. If we are saying that the sequence is question was supposed to entertain, and that was entertaining, I don't understand why you consider it to be "bad writing".

I didn´t like the scene and it was entertaining for me.

Most movies are able to entertain it´s audience to a certain degree. That means they´re all well written? TO A CERTAIN DEGREE!!! Wich means: I can watch something with no problem in order to kill some time, but i´m not fascinated by what i´m watching. It´s not that difficult to entertain someone. You don´t need great writing to do that.

damn, BTAS is destroying the Nolan Batman

Perhaps, but "not great writing" isn't the same as "bad writing", is it?

1) So the fact of his mutation into a shape-shifting monster is more plausible to you than a man riding a rocket?

They´re both stupid, but at least you have an explanation for him to be able to do what he does. It´s a bad character in my opinion. But what explanation do you give for Joker being able to ride a rocket? Isn´t he simply human? Doesn´t that universe acknowledges human limitations? If so, isn´t that a big leap of logic?

You forgot to answer the question about the verisimilitude of Two Face surviving injuries that would seemingly have been fatal to others in that movie

How did you come to the conclusion that it would had been fatal to others? Did others suffered the same exact accident?

Perhaps, but "not great writing" isn't the same as "bad writing", is it?

The show dangles from great writing to awful writing. That´s why it´s watchable.

How did you come to the conclusion that it would had been fatal to others? Did others suffered the same exact accident?

Did anyone else in BTAS suffer burns while riding a rocket powered Christmas tree?

Did anyone else in BTAS suffer burns while riding a rocket powered Christmas tree?

But surviving an injury is plausible to a human. Strange things happen. There was a man who lived years with a nail inside his head. Now, a man riding a rocket, crashing through the roof and surviving like nothing happened is simply impossible.

They´re both stupid, but at least you have an explanation for him to be able to do what he does. It´s a bad character in my opinion. But what explanation do you give for Joker being able to ride a rocket? Isn´t he simply human? Doesn´t that universe acknowledges human limitations? If so, isn´t that a big leap of logic?

Wait I don't get it. Are we arguing about Batman and his "realism" again?? Weren't you and BatLobster the ones who told me the Nolanverse wasn't meant to be realistic? And it's the cartoons/comics, realism and logic don't belong in either. If Batman regularly shakes off beatings, dogdges bullets and lazer beams then why should a deranged clown can survive flying a rocket christmas tree bother you? lol

Last edited:
If Batman regularly takes beatings, dogdges bullets and lazer beams then why should a deranged clown can survive flying a rocket christmas tree bother you? l

Because one feels like a strech but the other feels completely impossible. Somehow, it´s easy for me to conceive the idea of someone having exceptional physical abilities, to the point of being able to beat up criminals, than the idea of a simple man riding a rocket and crashing through the roof without falling or dying right away.

So i guess after this discussion, Batman & Robin should be considered an amazing movie.

There are different levels of realism. One of the unfortunate side effect of the post Nolan era is people seem to look at things in black and white, either falling under "realism" or "fantasy", when in truth most versions of the Batman story, including Nolan's and BTAS blend both.

IMO, the level of realism applied to BTAS was as appropriate for an animated show aimed at kids as much as the level of realism applied to the Nolan films was appropriate for gritty live action films aimed largely at the 18-49 demographic.

Last edited:
So i guess after this discussion, Batman & Robin should be considered an amazing movie.

Yet again, you appear to be arguing from the standpoint that verisimilitude is the single indicator of quality or value.

The problem with B&R is not that it is unrealistic; it is that it is effectively an unfunny comedy. It fails at what it sets out to do.

A deeply surreal Grant Morrison-inspired Batman movie, while making little attempt at verisimilitude, could be the most interesting and entertaining comicbook movie we have yet seen, if it uses its flamboyance and surrealism to tell a compelling, character-driven story.

There's no accounting for taste in that though. For some people, a Grant Morrison inspired Batman film, no matter how well-executed, might just be too "out there" for their own Batman sensibilities though. Just like Nolan's favoring of verisimilitude left some cold and wanting more out of that universe.

So yeah, I completely agree that verisimilitude/realism isn't an indicator of quality of value at all (and that goes both ways), but there are certain tastes out there for Batman and some of them do clash with each other. They'll never be able to please the whole fanbase at once.

I'm pretty sure the Nolan trilogy was aimed at the 13-whoever else demographic.

In rating perhaps, but I know parents who wouldn't let their 13 year olds see TDK. So the point stands regardless, it was less kiddie oriented than the 90s animated series, despite the incredible maturity that show displayed.

The problem with B&R is not that it is unrealistic

The problem with B&R is that it´s a movie trying to do stuff that was considered normal in comics and cartoons. You turn BTAS into live action and you will no longer have "the greatest thing ever". There are plenty of scenes, characters and storylines in BTAS that are as absurd as anything that happens in B&R. The same can be said for comics and the 1966 show.

Man how many times are you gonna fall back on B&R to prove your statement?

Because one feels like a strech but the other feels completely impossible. Somehow, it´s easy for me to conceive the idea of someone having exceptional physical abilities, to the point of being able to beat up criminals, than the idea of a simple man riding a rocket and crashing through the roof without falling or dying right away.

It's about as unrealistic as when Batman survived that 20-something story fall back in The Dark Knight to save Rachel. Or his back healing superfast in TDKR or how the microwave transmitter back in Batman Begins not killing everyone around it because it evaporated water.

Man how many times are you gonna fall back on B&R to prove your statement?

Not as many times as you come to this forum to make low quality posts that contribute nothing to the discussions.

It's about as unrealistic as when Batman survived that 20-something story fall back in The Dark Knight to save Rachel

The cape?

Or his back healing superfast in TDKR

Yes. 5 months is superfast. Plus, how serious were the injuries? Are you a doctor? The information you have on what happened to his back is very limited.

microwave transmitter back in Batman Begins not killing everyone around it because it evaporated water

Focused microwaves?

I bet that if any of those 3 movies had anything similar to a guy riding a christmas tree you all would be *****ing 10x times harder.

Sure can but not in "teh realistic" world you think those movies are in.

Sure can but not in "teh realistic" world you think those movies are in.

I´ve never said the movies were realistic. I´ve said the contrary, actually.

And it´s called science fiction. A man riding a rocket christmas tree and not dying is called absurdity. There´s a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"