Falcon and Winter Soldier BUCKY BARNES is the WINTER SOLDIER

So, in my silly weirdness, I'm trying to see if I can figure out what Bucky's new Smithsonian exhibit says back in episode 1 (Rhodey and Sam walk past it on their talk after Sam gives the Smithsonian the shield) since *some* of it's been changed from the information on the panel seen in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (though clearly not updated for events following Civil War), plus there's a new panel with Winter Soldier information. I've got the left panel down (and a chunk of that - the bits I've italicized - appears to be the same as the old exhibit), and (other than the title at the top of the right panel) the bottom half of the right panel down, is anyone able to make out more of the top half of the right panel?? Side note, I've always liked that they noted Bucky wasn't just a part of the Howling Commandos, but that he helped Steve in leading them.

Left Panel (as noted above, the bits I've italicized are merely the bits that are identical to his old Smithsonian panel seen in Captain America: The Winter Soldier - thankfully, they didn't keep the birth year goof (where it said one year (1916 in that case) at the beginning of the panel, and another/different birth year (1917) at the bottom):
Bucky Barnes
Friend & Brother
Killed in Action?

James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes was born in 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. Barnes and Steve Rogers were life-long friends from the playgrounds of Brooklyn to the battlefields of Europe and beyond. Barnes enlisted in the Army shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. After winter training at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, Barnes and the rest of the 107th shipped out to the Italian front. Captured by Hydra troops later that fall, Barnes endured long periods of isolation, depravation, and torture. But his will was strong. In an ironic twist of fate, his prison camp was liberated by none other than his childhood friend, Steve Rogers, now Captain America.

Reunited, Barnes and Rogers led Captain America's newly formed unit the Howling Commandos. Barnes' marksmanship was invaluable as Rogers and his team destroyed Hydra bases and disrupted Nazi troop movements throughout the European Theater.

In 1944, while on a mission to thwart a Hydra weapon transport in the Alps, Barnes was thrown from a train and believed to have been killed in action. It wasn't until 2014, over seventy years later, that it was revealed that Barnes was alive having been found by Hydra operatives

Right Panel (the one I'm having trouble with, ?'s are sections/sentences/words I can't make out - and it's possible that some of what I've got isn't quite right):
Winter Soldier
From Friend to Foe

????????????

???? during a ??? to discuss the Sokovia Accords, a world wide manhunt ??? track down the covert assassin. ??? identity was revealed as James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes: lifelong friend of Captain Steve Rogers, believed to have been killed in action in 1944.

Captain America himself joined the effort to bring Barnes in, only to later aid in his escape from custody having been convinced of his innocence. Steve's loyalty to his old friend, coupled with his refusal to sign the Sokovia Accords, led to the dissolution of the Avengers and drove the Captain into hiding with other like-minded Avengers including Natasha Romanoff, Wanda Maximoff, and Sam Wilson. The current whereabouts of Barnes remains unknown having been labeled a fugitive following his escape from custody

I have to say, I'm kinda missing the lethal killing machine Winter Soldier. He was an unstoppable assassin who fought with ferocious intent and was a walking armory with multiple knives and gun accessories.

a4cabb3d90a3f71a60a878b14af8f6b8.jpg

It would be funny if they do a flash forward episode where Bucky is an old man and he goes back to Shuri and asks her to make him a new, smaller arm so that he’s not walking around with one old, scrawny arm and one really jacked metal one.

In the concept art for the show shown at D23, Bucky's arm got a white Star added to his vibrainum arm. Do you think he'll get it added in the finale ?
0d3f0aadc368a53f3691aaa73048c1ad.jpg

Sebastian Stan has been posting hilarious TikToks about the show on his IG and while I laugh (because I don't have TikTok), I'm sure there is a mass delete of thirst accounts by teenage girls right now.

36e929f79e4867e28da18d2f71cefb39.gif

Last edited:
It was nice to see Bucky in the limelight even though he’s not fond of it. Looking forward to seeing where he goes from here, will he go by the white Wolf or will he return to the moniker as The Winter Solider with a new sense of purpose and dedication? If we go by the ending it seems he’ll be The Winter Solider. Hopefully he’ll have an edge to him in combat again.

I don’t get the White Wolf nickname. It seemed like they only called him that because he was the only white guy in Wakanda. They shouldn’t call him that for the same reason they didn’t call Sam “Black Falcon”.

I don’t get the White Wolf nickname. It seemed like they only called him that because he was the only white guy in Wakanda. They shouldn’t call him that for the same reason they didn’t call Sam “Black Falcon”.
Why is Black Panther called Black Panther and not just Panther? Are you saying they souldn't call him Black Panther for the same reason that Sam isn't Black Falcon? There are some characters whose code names are/contain a color as part of the name. Black Panther is one, White Wolf is another (who is a character from the comics). Now, why exactly the Wakandans started calling Bucky that on the whole, don't know for sure yet - there's still a lot of Bucky's recovery in Wakanda during the 2 years between Civil War and Infinity War that we haven't see.... it does seem like it was the children (in their innocence) were the ones to start using the moniker first (in the post credit scene from Black Panther) - and he may have been the first white man those kids had ever seen in person - there may be another reason for the name other than just him being a white man, we don't know (yet? - who knows maybe Sam will ask him about it one day). Either way, he's accepted it as their name for him and recognizes that them giving him a name is an honor.

It's a bit hard to see, but did that kid actually make contact? It almost looks like he decked Becky :funny:

I mean, you aren't entirely wrong, but I feel like its a forgivable name and situation. Not only is it made clear that the various relevant Wakandans do hold Bucky as a person of both sympathy and respect ( and so the naming lacks malice ), but it also reflects on that Wakanda is not some perfect utopia. The Wakandans can have their own implicit cultural and racial biases, and thus it works as a harmless "Huh, so that's how it feels" bit of role reversal.

Dude, I just googled "panther" and it literally comes up with "Black Panther". Guess that's just part of the animal's name.

As for white wolf....well, yeah probably because he happens to be a white guy and he used to be an assassin. Who knows what colour the wolves in Wakanda usually are ? At least they don't call him white colonizer ass hole.

I mean, you aren't entirely wrong, but I feel like its a forgivable name and situation. Not only is it made clear that the various relevant Wakandans do hold Bucky as a person of both sympathy and respect ( and so the naming lacks malice ), but it also reflects on that Wakanda is not some perfect utopia. The Wakandans can have their own implicit cultural and racial biases, and thus it works as a harmless "Huh, so that's how it feels" bit of role reversal.

I quite like that. It's nice to think of the Wakandans as not perfect. I mean the Dora Milaje may think they have jurisdiction everywhere, but I suspect local governments might beg to differ. That's an interesting reversal too - their superior tech, fighting skills and armament allowing them to go where they please and enforce their will where they like. What does that remind us of ?

White Wolf actually exists as in comics. And he actually got nickname like that because he was a foreigner and white and was part of Wakanda's history. Wouldnt be suprised if Bucky got nicknamed like that just as nod to that.

Unpopular opinion, I'm glad they kept the name winter solider in the end rather than White Wolf, WS sounds cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"