Civil War Winter is Coming - The Bucky Barnes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As sexy as that photoshopped Stan/Johansson cover is, I don't really see TWS and/or BW carrying their own movie.

Sebastian Stan signed on to marvel for 9 movies , he so far has only done 2 of them so i imagine they definitely have plans for him. Evans contract ends after Infinity war so it is possible that stan takes over as cap for any new cap movie after IW.

Sebastian Stan signed on to marvel for 9 movies , he so far has only done 2 of them so i imagine they definitely have plans for him. Evans contract ends after Infinity war so it is possible that stan takes over as cap for any new cap movie after IW.
3, not 2 ;)

Just because an actor is signed for x number of movies doesn't necessarily mean they're actually going to do that many. Kevin Bacon was signed on for X-Men sequels but only did First Class. They do that to make sure actors are locked down and available if/when they have use for them.

Pretty sure Bucky's gonna get an awesome vibranium arm now.

My only hope is that he cuts his damn hair.

tumblr_loamhnb9pV1qbxvpi.jpg

I hear you. All my friends have had to listen to me complain about Bucky's hair in Civil War at this point.

The two of them plus Hawkeye could maybe be interesting enough, but yeah the recently re-floated idea of a Black Widow film does nothing for me at all

thought this was interesting:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/1605...aptain-america-civil-war-ranked-by-importance

The one that caught my eye in the theater was "Daybreak"
And then I realized that's the name of the light Jazz song that Abed and several other characters hum in 'Community'

God I love the Russos

I had to actually laugh at loud at the activation words in theaters. Homecoming isn't a thing in Russian, and what they ended up with was closer to "return to your home country", so the fact that it just happened to translate as the Spider-man movie subtitled. :whatever:

I had to avoid these boards for like a week after I saw the movie. Actually more because of work, but at first just because I wanted to get all my thoughts together. I'm reading through all the threads now but the one big question on my mind is.. Wait, what's going to happen to Bucky then? Like everyone else I feel okay about (except Rhodes - Rhodey is going to be able to pilot the War Machine armour again, right guys?) but the ending with Bucky just left my little fangirl heart curious and worried. Mostly because it would be such an easy way to write Bucky out. And the ending "Spider-Man Will Return" wasn't helpful, either. I KNOW Spider-Man will return! What I want is reassurance about everyone else!

Why is TFA not being counted?

I think its because he did not actually sign his multiple part contract until after that movie was out. he originally just had the 1 contractual movie during the TFA but I could be wrong but thats the impression i got from an interview that he in reality has 7 more to go. And it is a fact that studios just have you locked in for movies but thats no guarantee that you are in fact going to be used. I am thinking the studio is thinking eventually Bucky would become Cap down the line. I thought the Russos or someone else within the studio stated after RDJ salary being so high that they would like to see the next generation of Avengers (after IWs) be more low key and not so salary heavy. They believe that story building and good studio production will bring in the crowds and they won't need big names for the draw. So MCU studios probably thought it was a good bet to lock in Stan now for a longer duration without having to pay an astronomical salary if he starts getting mainstreamed in Hollywood with more notoriety.

WS solo film? I think it could be done but again you are still going to have to make it a buddy film. Story would have to be really good and a one-shot. Comics always had one shot stories or issues that only featured 2 Avengers so it can be done but I see a much lower stakes villain. Not an end of the world scenario which is fine by me. BW, Falcon..lots of potential for cameos to join in. I think though Scarjo is such a hot commodity right now its hard to work her actual shooting schedule.

I'd love a Winter Soldier solo movie but it has to be with a good director that trusts the character. Too bad the Russo's are busy with Infinity War 1 and 2. Maybe after that theyd like to make a smaller stand alone movie.

I think theres so much they can do with the character. Delving into his past with flashbacks and going after the people who made him who he was...

And for the picture deal you have to assume he'll be in, Infinity Wars 1 and 2, and possibly Black Panther...maybe even the Black Widow Solo movie?

Thatll be 6 movies

I could see someone like David Ayer directing a Winter Soldier movie.

David fincher! .doing a psychological thriller winter soldier solo film!..fit the mood of the winter soldier dark past!

Pretty sure Bucky's gonna get an awesome vibranium arm now.

My only hope is that he cuts his damn hair.

tumblr_loamhnb9pV1qbxvpi.jpg

DON'T TOUCH HIS BEAUTIFUL HAIR. He looks soo much more badass with it. Giving him short hair would turn him into just another Marvel male...almost all of them have the same generic haircut. At this point it'd be like cutting Jon Snow's hair.

DON'T TOUCH HIS BEAUTIFUL HAIR. He looks soo much more badass with it. Giving him short hair would turn him into just another Marvel male...almost all of them have the same generic haircut. At this point it'd be like cutting Jon Snow's hair.

I agree. TWS he looked a little hobo-ish but CW it was reasonably kept. Like he might have washed his hair this year. Stan is too much a pretty boy with short hair. Longer hair makes him look more aggressive and more the part of the WS. Also I swear they must have put a lot of layering of clothes in CW on him to make him look fuller. He looks massive compared to real life photos.

I agree. TWS he looked a little hobo-ish but CW it was reasonably kept. Like he might have washed his hair this year. Stan is too much a pretty boy with short hair. Longer hair makes him look more aggressive and more the part of the WS. Also I swear they must have put a lot of layering of clothes in CW on him to make him look fuller. He looks massive compared to real life photos.
Probably lost weight after filming. It's clear he doesn't naturally walk around that big. He looks pretty big still in the mid-credits scene where he has a tank top on.

I agree he looks super young with a shorter haircut. We'll see where they'll go with it. I'm slightly miffed that this last Cap movie didn't really resolve anything with Steve or Bucky, but part of me also figures I can't complain because I'll see Sebastian and CEvans in more movies. :oldrazz:

With CW's central conflict revolving around Bucky, it's entirely clear that he should have had a MUCH bigger role in TFA than he did. We just didn't see how close Steve and Bucky were supposed to be, for Steve to be as devoted as he is.

I think Schlosser postulated that Bucky should have been in the running for the SS program, so we could see their interactions more, and Bucky's reaction to Steve being chosen over him (or his gentle artist BFF being chosen to be a fighter, etc). Or if not that, show them rooming together, or have Bucky actually verbalize what he feels about Steve being the army's sole super-soldier. Anything. :funny: Right now there's a lot of hand-waving headcanon that has to happen, to explain why they are the way they are together.

It's one big reason I still hold the Nolan Batfilms in higher esteem than the Cap films overall, even though CW's plot is tighter than TDKR (and it's more fun to watch). Say what you want about Bruce/Rachel, at least that relationship is given the proper importance throughout all 3 films, so you understand why she's so important to him. There's nothing in TFA that solidifies Bucky as Steve's strongest relationship, that warrants what he does for Bucky in TWS or CW.

Agreed. While TFA has a special place in my heart, it doesn't do nearly enough with the Cap/Bucky relationship, which is a fatal flaw considering how integral that relationship is in the Russo movies.

The one "I'm with you til the end of the line" flashback scene in TWS and the "Remember when we spent our train money...on hotdogs" dialogue in CW alone does more to sell their friendship than the entirety of TFA, when they were actually together.

The one "I'm with you til the end of the line" flashback scene in TWS and the "Remember when we spent our train money...on hotdogs" dialogue in CW alone does more to sell their friendship than the entirety of TFA, when they were actually together.
Right. I think they just chose the wrong moment in TFA to show them together - it came off as immature uber-competitive kid brothers than two super-close friends with affection. Steve is still miffed that he was rejected from the army again, and generally seems like the worst person to hang out with ever, when he was small. :funny:

I mean, I guess when someone is in their 20s and hasn't seen much of life yet (just you wait Bucky... :waa: ), you take your friendships for granted. What was shown on screen was the minimal they could show and advance the plot. (And I've seen TFA on TV and they cut short some Steve/Bucky scenes even then!)

But it would have added a lot to the trilogy to see more of Bucky before he falls off the train. For one, we never really get to know how Bucky feels about Steve becoming a super-soldier, beyond the initial "OMG you're big WTF happened to you?" moment when he's delirious from torture. And you know he would have had Opinions about it.

Something tells me the scene where Bucky hears the dummy grenade story would have been A RIOT. :hehe:

But yeah, it's sobering to think that Bucky is the only person in the world with whom Steve can joke freely like that. Without Bucky, Steve really would be "Captain America" and the Steve Roger side would disappear entirely. Natasha and Sam would see part of the real Steve, but even they don't get to see the side Bucky sees.

Last edited:
I love hte way he delivers this line : "it always ends in a fight"

When Bucky says the girl must be 100 years old and Steve replies, "So are we, pal", I felt both a little sad at the reminder of how these two belonged in a different era, and satisfaction at the same time at how they now have each other.

I really love that little moment between them when they land in Siberia...a lot of feels packed into a couple lines.

I think its because he did not actually sign his multiple part contract until after that movie was out. he originally just had the 1 contractual movie during the TFA but I could be wrong but thats the impression i got from an interview that he in reality has 7 more to go.

No, the 9 film contract is what he signed to at first. Unless you're on the level of Robert Redford or Michael Douglas you don't get to sign a one movie contract with Marvel. Marvel learned their lesson to sign anyone to as long a contract as possible after RDJ even if here are no immediate plans to use them after one.

I love hte way he delivers this line : "it always ends in a fight"
His response to finding out the authorities plan on killing him instead of bringing him in is heartbreaking too. "Smart, good strategy."

Like he'd do the same thing in their shoes, because he knows how dangerous he is. And he is just so resigned to it. :waa:

It's too bad they never explored Bucky's backpack since if they went with Stan's idea of Bucky keeping multiple notebooks of his memories in there, that could have been something Steve used to defend him and also get through to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"