Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrano

Civilian
Reaction score

SimoneBianchi2.jpg

STORM:
The Official Character Discussion Thread

Welcome to the official thread dedicated solely to Ororo Munroe A.K.A. Storm--a prominent member of the X-Men. Having debuted at a time when memories of Star Trek's Lt. Uhura were still fresh, Ororo's status as a black female with a similar name and Kenyan origins may not be coincidental. In any case, she is the first black female superhero of any note and remains the most popular.

Biographical Data

Other aliases: (current) None, (former--in Kenya and Tanzania) "Beautiful Windrider"
Identity: Secret
Occupation: Adventurer, (former) "Goddess" to an African tribe, master thief
Legal status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record. (She probably has a record as a juvenile offender in Egypt, but not under her true name.)
Place of birth: New York City, New York
Marital status: Single
Known relatives: David Munroe (father, deceased), N'Dare Munroe (mother, deceased), Ashake (ancestor, deceased)
Base of operations: (current) Xavier Institute, Salem Center, Westchester County, New York State, (former) Cairo, Egypt; Kenya and Tanzania; X-Men headquarters, Australian outback
Group affiliation: (current) X-Men, (former) Leader of the Morlocks
First appearance: GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1

1035.jpg

History: Storm is the descendant of an ancient line of African priestesses, all of whom have white hair, blue eyes, and the potential to wield magic. Her mother, N'Dare, was the princess of a tribe in Kenya. She married the American photojournalist David Munroe and moved with him to Manhattan, where Ororo was born.

When Ororo was six months old, she and her parents moved to Cairo, Egypt. Five years later, a bomb destroyed their home. Ororo's parents were killed, but she survived, buried under rubble near her mother's body. This traumatizing effect left Ororo with the severe claustrophobia that still afflicts her today.

Homeless and orphaned, Ororo, came under the tutelage of master thief Achmed el-Gibar. She became his prize pupil in thievery and in picking locks.

Years later, feeling a strong urge to go south, Ororo journeyed alone across the Sahara Desert and finally reached her ancestors' homeland, the Serengeti Plain, which lies in the modern nations of Kenya and Tanzania. By this time her mutant power to control the weather had emerged, and she used them to help the local tribes, who worshipped her as a goddess.

Ororo remained with the tribes for years until Professor Charles Xavier recruited her into the new team of X-Men he was assembling. She was given the code name "Storm" after her power to affect the weather. Except for brief periods away from the team, Storm has remained in the X-Men ever since and shares leadership of the X-Men with Cyclops.

TornadeXtremeChxCourts.jpg

Height: 5 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 127 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Hair: White​

Flight speed: Subsonic (when propelled by winds)

Fighting skills: Excellent hand-to-hand combatant, trained by Wolverine

Special skills and abilities: Extraordinary ability at picking locks, excellent marksman with handguns

Known superhuman powers: Ororo is a mutant with the psionic ability to manipulate the weather over the entire planet and flight. When controlling weather elements, her eyes illuminate a white color and aura. She can manifest any degree of wind, temperature, lightning, storm, and all manner of precipitation, tornadoes and hurricanes. Storm actually has the ability to affect the weather on a cosmic scale, but does not because she is very environmentally conscious. She is arguably one of the most powerful mutants ever.

Storm is immune to all effects of weather: her body changes to compensate for the extremes she engineered; i.e. her body temperature would rise as she caused her surroundings to become cold. She has the ability to project, focus and aim force blasts of extreme electrical bolts from her hands or the sky using her elemental powers. At times, she has been able to use her ability to manipulate wind in a manner that resembles telekinesis, lifting massive objects and hurling them against opponents. She has even been known to stop projectiles such as bullets by using her ability to manipulate the wind.

98b8.jpg
Aside from the abilities granted by her mutation, Ororo is highly intelligent and an able strategist and field commander of the X-Men. She also has some minor telepathic defenses ( creating intense electrical currents and indestructable pressure domes that can withstand a plane and cut through a mountain. Although not a criminal, her days as a thief have given her mastery of skills normally used by professional thieves, such as stealth, breaking into heavilly fortified areas and picking locks. She is also an excellent combatant in both armed and unarmed combat, having been instructed by Wolverine. Storm is a loyal, compassionate and brave warrior, and the most sophisticated and demure member of the X-Men.

Special limitations: Storm's psionic powers over the weather are affected by her emotions; hence, if she does not maintain control of her emotions, a fit of rage might induce a destructive storm. Also, Storm suffers from severe claustrophobia.

NOTE: In the Hollywood treatment of X-Men, "Storm" was played by Academy Award-winning Actress Halle Berry.

halleversace4dj.jpg

75a2.jpg

storm20xm.jpg

Feel free to discuss anything related to Storm and/or Halle Berry. The poll attached will be changed periodically during debates when new photos or news is released.

Contributors: Tyrano, Electrix & Lightning Strikez

What I wish we could see is flying and air battles, but watching Spider-Man and the Matrix make me realize it would probably look very fake and very stupid.

I'll go with more lightning strikes, those are always neat.

Yes but if Bryan Singer does it right, they won't look fake and stupid. Maybe (in movieverse) Storm hasn't flown at all and doesn't kow that it's part of her powers. It could happen in X3 and amaze everyone.

In X1, it was lightning.

In X2, it was tornadoes.

In X3...gotta go bigger, so I say flying, or something really massive.

A whirling vortex of destruction full of ice shards and punctuated by flashes of lightning. Imagine a squad of sentinels getting peeled apart like tin cans, with electrical discharges and shorting exposed cicuitry throughout the image. :cool:

More lightning would be cool. Maybe this time around see her fire a lightning bolt/ static charge? from her hands, instead of summoning lightning from a cloud like we saw in X1.

In Neverwinter Nights a wizard's spell called "Ice Storm" causes a massive rain of icicles to pummel an area.

It might be itneresting to see Storm do something like that.

Originally posted by Endeavor
^Would hail suffice?

I don't know, what makes using the spell so cool is watching all the ice shatter around you in clouds of glowing, blue-white frost, it's definitely one of my favorite visual effects in the whole game.

I think hail might end up not looking to different from the snowy wind Storm throws at Sabretooth in X-Men or the "ice-clone" she makes to chill Jason and the Professor out of Cerebro mode in X2.

But it does seem like Storm summoning more real life weather effects than shooting ice or lightning from her hands like in the comics is a trend in the films, and I like that.

So I'm still sticking with idea of some more lightning-summoning and maybe (only if it could be made to look amazingly life-like) flying.

Come to think of it, though, for some reason simply hovering/levitating manages to look fairly good on film (while flying does not) perhaps a sequence where Storm creates an updraft and floats up on it to hover really high in the sky, then channels a massive lightning bolt through herself into something else?

Other manifestations of lightning, like ball lightning and chain lightning might also look good.

^ When I mentioned her discharging electricity or static through her arms I was thinking of a quick shot in X1 in which you see currents coursing through her body. In fact when she comes out of the elevator shaft you can see some sparks emanating from her, so it wouldn't be that much of a stretch from what has already been seen.

Originally posted by PhoenixFire
Come to think of it, though, for some reason simply hovering/levitating manages to look fairly good on film (while flying does not) perhaps a sequence where Storm creates an updraft and floats up on it to hover really high in the sky, then channels a massive lightning bolt through herself into something else?

I definitally agree with this. I know that a lot of people, including myself, would really love to see Storm go all out and fly in this movie.
The thing is.... Singer has already shown her character to have a lesser degree of control than is needed for the total "peter pan" type flight. The comic/cartoon fans know that Storm can fly because she is the all powerful master of weather and is able to use air currents to move herself through the air. Fans of the movie alone, however, don't know this. The character given to Storm in the movie is more toned down. She has control of wind currents and such; but only to the extent of flying up an elevator shaft.
If anything, I agree with Phoenix Fire in that they should just have her levitate herself up into the air and summon the weather. I think it would both look really cool and also be justifiable as far as the physics of it all go. I do think, though, that they will take advantage of her ability to hover short distances and show a lot more sequances of her doing so.

I think if they include Storm in X3 that they'll definitely have her doing something we've never seen before..

I think flying with lightning bolts may be a bit of a stretch, but with some imagination and the right effects, it could look dazzling,..

-TNC

If she does fly, it's have to be done very nicely done...

LIke, she can't just hover, or fly straight. People would critize it like made.

It'd be cool if she formed a twister around her, with lighting coming out of her eyes and crackling all over her body. She'd have to rise in a circular pattern, following the stream of the air, until she was in the center, still wavering and rising up and down. Then the twister moves, and Storm moves along with it...

I voted fly and air battle. I do also wanna see Storm throw lightning bolts out of her hands. She can create lightning in the comics. Flight and lightning are things she is well known for doing.

Originally posted by MidKnight
If she does fly, it's have to be done very nicely done...

LIke, she can't just hover, or fly straight. People would critize it like made.

It'd be cool if she formed a twister around her, with lighting coming out of her eyes and crackling all over her body. She'd have to rise in a circular pattern, following the stream of the air, until she was in the center, still wavering and rising up and down. Then the twister moves, and Storm moves along with it...

That would look really great. That's kind of like what i'm thinking will happen. As long as they don't just give her free reign of flight; ala phoenix style; it will look really great.

I jist want to see her create a malestrom- showing the true fury of the storm. Raun, wind and lightning- that would be a great scene to have her fly in too. She's be in complete control of the wind and lightning so she and the storm would be acting like they were one. it could be awesome.

I wanna see it like really overcast and rainy and then she makes it sunny out! I think it'd be really cool to show her make it sunny and then say "there, that's better", then she dies cause the villian kills her while she's looking at the sun.

Since every time she's used lightening its came from the sky..
(Sabertooth, Toad, Nightcrawler) i doubt its going to come out of her hands next. I think Singer is just having it more believable in that way. Her powers arent evolving like Jeans are.

I would like to see a hail storm or ice nails or something like that occur.
Also if they break into a high security building she could create fog to make alarm lasers visible (ie. 1st x-men cartoon episode).

But basically I dont think most character's powers, that we've seen, would get more powerful. Just my 2 cents
:rolleyes:

She did that in the first movie, as they are approaching the Statue of Liberty she creates a thick fog to conceal the plane.

Yeah, so here's a list of things Storm's already done, to make it easier for us to dream up new things:

* Wind gusts - on Sabretooth when he attacks Wolvie's truck in X1, Toad when she glides out of the elevator in X1, part of waking the Professor out of Cerebro in X2.

* Lightning strikes - one Sabretooth in the trainstation in X1, Toad in the Statue of Liberty in X1, Nightcrawler's perch in the church in X2.

* Mist - To cover the jet's approach on Liberty Island in X1.

* Tornadoes - To throw off pursuit in the X2 dog fight.

* Cold - she summons icy winds inside Dark Cerebro in X2.

* Flight - she glides up and out of the elevator shaft in X1, nothing big.

* Thunderstorm - she summons one of these at the end of X2 to help intimidate the President of the United States, though we don't see much.

Some new ideas:

* Rain - though originally intended to summon rain to put Pyro's burning police cars in X2, it was decided that Rogue would solve the problem instead. Ergo, Storm has yet to visibly use rain to any effect.

Perhaps she could use rain, then cold, then wind to trip people up like she did to Jean in the beginning of X-tinction Agenda?

Other uses I can think of are as a visibility reducer or for quenching fires.

* Flying/Air Battle - a more grand sequence in which Storm manages to somehow fly would probably be appreciated by many. I still say it would have to be doen very, very carefully, though.

So far we've discussed her floating skyward in an updraft or lifting herself up in a tornado.

* Hail/Ice Storm - kind of like her antics in Dark Cerebro in X2 but more focussed on pummeling something with chunks of ice.

Hail can be pretty darn big sometimes - like tennis balls and grapefruits. Maybe she can beat someone down with it.

* Chain Lightning - a rare occurence when a stroke of lightning seems to break up into separate beads of electricity which persist for a short period of time.

This might be a neat effect, but it could also just seem strange to those who haven't noticed real chain lightning before.

The more typical understanding of the term "chain lightning" - lightning which jumps from target to target might look better. Just seeing her channel one stroke of lightning through several targets would also be cool.

* Ball Lightning - the actual existence of Ball lightning is scientifically unrecorded, and its verity is debateable. "It is reported to occur with or right after a nearby lightning stroke and is described as a luminous ball of light that floats along fences, rooftops, or through the open air. The jury is still out on ball lightning."

It might be interesting to see this, but it sounds kind of like chain lightning to me, and as its is scientifically unverified, it might be best to leave alone.

I'm really warming up to the hail idea. :D

Originally posted by usagicassidy
I wanna see it like really overcast and rainy and then she makes it sunny out! I think it'd be really cool to show her make it sunny and then say "there, that's better", then she dies cause the villian kills her while she's looking at the sun.

OK minus the idea of her death; I think that would look really cool. I mean the character of Storm portrayed in the movie would do that kind of thing. Great idea!!!

Originally posted by PhoenixFire

* Hail/Ice Storm - kind of like her antics in Dark Cerebro in X2 but more focussed on pummeling something with chunks of ice.

Hail can be pretty darn big sometimes - like tennis balls and grapefruits. Maybe she can beat someone down with it.

LOl!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"