Capcom hitting the continue button on Street Fighter Flicks

I thought the Tatsumaki he pulled off in the fan Movie was fine. I wouldn't want him to fly around like a helicopter as he does in the game. Even the Move he does in the Tekken Movie as Jin would pass for the hurricane kick.

No, I would leave out the powers and all that stuff. Save that for the game. You don't need to put crazy lights and effects around a tornado kick, it would look silly to me. Why not just have an actor do a 360 kick which is what it's based on. Double palm heel strike to the chest or body instead of a bolt of energy flying across the room, I could go on, but the moves have a basis in real moves, so why not do those and save the crazy powers and lights for the game.

I kinda understand what your saying, I wouldn't want to see hit sparks from whenever contact is made with punches or kicks. Fireballs can be in the film, just not overused, it should be more of a desperation move. In the world of SF, fireballs are common just as they are in DBZ. DBZ uses them as a primary source, SF uses it when all else has failed. In the first SF animated film, Ryu only used the Hadoken twice, once on Sagat, and then he and Ken both used it against M Bison. It could work

Because then it's Tekken, and it loses the signature things of the series by trying to make it all 'realistic.' I mean, why would you remove the things that we identify with these characters? Why not take the characters and translate those superhuman moves into something we can appreciate?

Exactly. If anything I'd go the Speed Racer route where it's pretty much a fantasy world where ridiculous stuff is perfectly acceptable. And I don't want Ryu's Hadoken attack to be the only special move in the film (like they did in the "more realistic" Anime TV series), because that would be stupid and it gimps all of the other characters. Anyone who has played the games knows how integral the projectile and ki attacks are to Street Fighter's brand identity, which is why if you make an adaptation that doesn't have them the fans are going to be upset.

Like Alchemist said, Ryu only used it twice in the Animated Movie and that's how I think it should be in the live action Movie. I hate projectile spammers in games, I don't want to see them in Movies.

I have an idea on how to make a GOOD Street Fighter film. Don't Americanize it. Really dive head first into the mysticism that fills the lore and done in a serious manner. And forget Bison. Do an Akuma storyline with ken and Ryu and a few others.

Like Alchemist said, Ryu only used it twice in the Animated Movie and that's how I think it should be in the live action Movie. I hate projectile spammers in games, I don't want to see them in Movies.

The best thing for them to do is to focus on the Ryu and Ken, include Akuma and the Dark Hadou power. Yeah, we've all seen martial arts films that take the path to becoming the strongest warrior route, but if done correctly, it could really do the SF film franchise justice. I would like to see central characters get there own films and then they all tie in together for the actual SF Tournament film, similar to the more recent Marvel films.

Exactly. If anything I'd go the Speed Racer route where it's pretty much a fantasy world where ridiculous stuff is perfectly acceptable. And I don't want Ryu's Hadoken attack to be the only special move in the film (like they did in the "more realistic" Anime TV series), because that would be stupid and it gimps all of the other characters. Anyone who has played the games knows how integral the projectile and ki attacks are to Street Fighter's brand identity, which is why if you make an adaptation that doesn't have them the fans are going to be upset.

YES! And it doesn't have to be uber-cheesy or over the top. 1994's Street Fighter started to go in the right direction, with a simple blue flash during one of Ryu's gut-checks. Expand that idea, that these moves are extensions of known movies, and, ala the animated movie, let Ryu making a traveling fireball like Neo dodging/stopping bullets. Something really incredible.

YES! And it doesn't have to be uber-cheesy or over the top. 1994's Street Fighter started to go in the right direction, with a simple blue flash during one of Ryu's gut-checks. Expand that idea, that these moves are extensions of known movies, and, ala the animated movie, let Ryu making a traveling fireball like Neo dodging/stopping bullets. Something really incredible.

I remember Ken in the animated film getting ready to charge a hadoken towards T.Hawk and saying something along the lines of "you're not worth it." Thats the attitude that I want them to have in a film, where the use of a fireball means that its total extermination, it has to be a last line of defense.

just take the animated movie and use real actors, great movie and the truest to the source

just take the animated movie and use real actors, great movie and the truest to the source

That could definately worked, despite some characters getting very little screen time, I was completely satisfied with it.

I'm not a huge Street Fighter fan, so maybe I just don't get it, but it seems to me that if you take the flashy powers out of the movie, there's just no point in making it. Just make any other martial arts movie if you're going to do that, because it'll be looked at as such.

The only way to really justify the moves is that they've honed their bodies to actually perform superhuman feats by pure focus, spirituality, or what have you. You have to suspend a little disbelief. The only way it works is that only a select few people in the world can do it. The fireballs Ryu and Ken use are basically said to be chi manifested in physical form.

I agree with Terry, you wouldn't want everyone in the world to throw fireballs. Honestly, Ryu,Ken, and Akuma should have fireballs that are visible to a degree, if you pay close attention to their fireballs, its nothing more than a fireball with the image of their fist. Guile's sonic boom shouldn't be visible, it should just look like a distortion or possibly resemble what a sonic boom looks like from a jet flying at top speed. There is alot of creative ways to display their chi energy and not make it look cheezy

Remember Mortal Kombat? In the games, Liu, Cage and Sonya all had projectile attacks. Then came the movie, you didn't see either of them throw a single fireball. Wasn't a problem there.

Now for Street Fighter, I wouldn't want to get rid of them entirely, but just tone the use of them down. It shouldn't turn into a DBZ movie where everyone is casually throwing fireballs around. It really should be some sort of desparation moves. One last attempt, the ace in the hole.

Remember Mortal Kombat? In the games, Liu, Cage and Sonya all had projectile attacks. Then came the movie, you didn't see either of them throw a single fireball. Wasn't a problem there.

Now for Street Fighter, I wouldn't want to get rid of them entirely, but just tone the use of them down. It shouldn't turn into a DBZ movie where everyone is casually throwing fireballs around. It really should be some sort of desparation moves. One last attempt, the ace in the hole.

Liu Kang used a fireball to kill Shang Tsung, remember? No one wants it like DBZ which is why i stated the fireballs should be a last resort, fireball = serious injury or death

Wasn't much of a fireball. More like energy extending from the hands as he punched Tsung in the chest.

Wasn't much of a fireball. More like energy extending from the hands as he punched Tsung in the chest.

Either way it was energy emitted from his hands. And in the case with MK, they probably didnt give them projectiles just to make the villains seem more otherworldly since the film went from completely secluded island owned by a sorcerer to their homeworld of outworld.

And just like they took the projectiles away from the main 3, to make the villains more otherwordly, I'd take the projectile and other flashy moves away from most of the Street Fighter cast, to make Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Bison more special.

Really just the best martial artists in the world should be able to perform these amazing abilities. Which should exclude characters like Dee Jay and Sakura, even Guile IMO. If I were to make a Movie, I'd only have Hado and Psycho power in it.

They really, really need to make Ken & Ryu the main characters.

And just like they took the projectiles away from the main 3, to make the villains more otherwordly, I'd take the projectile and other flashy moves away from most of the Street Fighter cast, to make Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Bison more special.

Really just the best martial artists in the world should be able to perform these amazing abilities. Which should exclude characters like Dee Jay and Sakura, even Guile IMO. If I were to make a Movie, I'd only have Hado and Psycho power in it.

Well if you leave the center focus on Ryu, Ken, and Akuma, thats only 3 characters with the same capabilities. I the final battle is the battle where they could go all out. Ryu and Ken's style takes away the brutality which means they would only use hadou moves when it is utmost necessary. Akuma uses the dark hadou which is more brutal, which explains his ability to shift (teleport) and his willingness to kill. It could work if done correctly, the fireballs should be downplayed slightly.

Lol, nice title.

It doesnt seem to me to be THAT difficult to create a decent to very good SF movie.

SF:Legacy was a step in the right direction. Hopefully Capcom learns from that seeing as they gave their blessings for that short film to be made.

On a side note, if you look closely in the original SFII game, Guile seems to be chucking two flash grenades when he does the "sonic boom". I could be imagining that but it kinda makes sense. Maybe in a real-world setting, it's intended effect would be to disorient or stun an opponent momentarily before he moves in to execute his 360 kick. Would look fantastic in live action if done right IMO.

I'd kill for a good RE or SF movie...or a good video game movie period. :(

Ryu and Ken HAVE to be the main characters. That's the first thing. Next, it needs to be in it's own world with the understanding that superhuman martial arts exist. If you shy away from it, there is no reason to even DO a Street Fighter movie. Next it needs to be played completely straight, with humor but avoiding all signs of parody. SF: Legacy needs to be the template. You sell that this is a world where fireballs and such are real and expected from the greatest of martial artists, and people will buy it. If you try to make it realistic then throw in a half-assed chi attack, one half of the audience will be confused and the other half annoyed. Best to just go all out.

Ryu and Ken HAVE to be the main characters. That's the first thing. Next, it needs to be in it's own world with the understanding that superhuman martial arts exist. If you shy away from it, there is no reason to even DO a Street Fighter movie. Next it needs to be played completely straight, with humor but avoiding all signs of parody. SF: Legacy needs to be the template. You sell that this is a world where fireballs and such are real and expected from the greatest of martial artists, and people will buy it. If you try to make it realistic then throw in a half-assed chi attack, one half of the audience will be confused and the other half annoyed. Best to just go all out.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"