Capcom hitting the continue button on Street Fighter Flicks

I'd kill for a good RE or SF movie...or a good video game movie period. :(

Me too and I'd like to add Devil May Cry to that list!

I agree with some of the posters that the Fireballs are integral to the Street Fighter franchise, but they definitely should be toned down to just the core characters and only be used a handful of times. But on that note if Ken is one of the main characters I'm going to really want to see a Shoryuken ;)

You are all going to hate me for this, but I did like one aspect of Legend of Chun Li and that was the theme of Chun Li getting accustomed and empathetic to people living in slums. The entire backdrop of the movie mirrored her Street Fighter II Level in Hong Kong. All this could have been a great setup for her joining Interpol.

Yeah, LoCL had some potential going for it...the thing holding it back was the reality that it was nothing more than a cash grab commercial for the video game and they had no plans of really aspiring to do anything significant to it. I'm one of the few that found some value in the movie.

If Capcom wants the next Street Fighter movie to not suck, they need to sit their asses down and watch Scott Pilgrim vs. the World like, 50 times. THAT is how a Street Fighter movie's fights should be done. Scott Pilgrim's fight scenes were very heavy on post-production effects, but that it precisely what made them good. They were so ridiculous that they made one's jaw drop and merely stare in aw at the visual spectacle. If Scott Pilgrim can make fight scenes full of ridiculous physics bending and special moves look awesome, then there's no excuse for the next street fighter to have bland Hong Kong-wannabe fights. I say turn the knob up to 11 and let the fights be as crazy as they are in the games.

if capcom want to do a good movie street fighter movie they should take the first street fighter movie (where ken gets brainwashed to fight ryu) and put that on the big screen. so simple.

I hope there's not going to be a Scott Pilgrim post in every thread.

Just let the Street Fighter Legacy guys do there thing. Though, I really don't see a Street Fighter film ever making much money.

Everything looked good in Scott Pilgrim yah, but just remember . . . the movie bombed ;) .

Basically producers are afraid to go that way because they think audiences will find it stupid looking and ridiculous. On the other hand everything they've done in the opposite direction has failed as well, see both Street Fighter movies :) .

I think a TV series would make more sense. There's nothing going on that couldn't be achieved on a TV budget. More fights, more character development. Win-win all around.

I prefer this...

[YT]9IGBVXLfmm8[/YT]

over this.

[YT]bEh9X5xAy3E[/YT]

I agree. the orignal animated was better than alpha, although I like and have both movies on dvd

Everything looked good in Scott Pilgrim yah, but just remember . . . the movie bombed ;) .

Basically producers are afraid to go that way because they think audiences will find it stupid looking and ridiculous. On the other hand everything they've done in the opposite direction has failed as well, see both Street Fighter movies :) .

The problem with Scott Pilgrim is that no-one knew what it was. It was a niche movie for a niche audience. I have no idea if a Street Fighter movie could make money or not, but if Capcom wants any shot at doing this series right then their first concern should be making sure that the fanbase isn't going to disown it before it's even out like what happened with Legend of Chun Li. Having fights that actually resemble the hyperkinectic mayhem from the games would definitely be a good place to start, and allowing the fighters' colorful costumes to remain in tact is a necessity, too. They should establish that this is a world slightly removed from reality, where stuff like chucking fireballs isn't really all that rare (but still only common amongst the world's top fighters). Let it be a more crazy world like X-Men, where it's not unheard of for very skilled fighters to accomplish superhuman feats and use their own body energy as a weapon. I don't want that BS where the only projectile move is the Hadoken, and only Ryu and Ken are powerful enough to use it. SONIC BOOM!

Also, as I said with my Scott Pilgrim comparison, I'd love to see some artistic flourishes to make it look a bit more like a video game, like anime speed lines, colorful slow motion shots, etc.

I kind of agree with that. But I don't think we are ever going to see another live action movie for a long time. Especially with that idiot who was involved with Legend of Chun-li around.

do ryu and ken story that is all i want lol

and give it to zack snyder to direct

do ryu and ken story that is all i want lol

and give it to zack snyder to direct

I would let Joey Ansah direct it, he did good with Street Fighter: Legacy, so it's obvious that he understands the importance of the characters. Something that the other 2 SF films missed the mark on.

The problem with Scott Pilgrim is that no-one knew what it was. It was a niche movie for a niche audience. I have no idea if a Street Fighter movie could make money or not, but if Capcom wants any shot at doing this series right then their first concern should be making sure that the fanbase isn't going to disown it before it's even out like what happened with Legend of Chun Li. Having fights that actually resemble the hyperkinectic mayhem from the games would definitely be a good place to start, and allowing the fighters' colorful costumes to remain in tact is a necessity, too. They should establish that this is a world slightly removed from reality, where stuff like chucking fireballs isn't really all that rare (but still only common amongst the world's top fighters). Let it be a more crazy world like X-Men, where it's not unheard of for very skilled fighters to accomplish superhuman feats and use their own body energy as a weapon. I don't want that BS where the only projectile move is the Hadoken, and only Ryu and Ken are powerful enough to use it. SONIC BOOM!

Also, as I said with my Scott Pilgrim comparison, I'd love to see some artistic flourishes to make it look a bit more like a video game, like anime speed lines, colorful slow motion shots, etc.

I see where you are going with this. It could work in a very expressionist world in the vein of Casshern, Goemon, Sky Captain where the whole thing is done with the digital back-lot technique allowing the whole thing to look surreal but totally workable.

I would let Joey Ansah direct it, he did good with Street Fighter: Legacy, so it's obvious that he understands the importance of the characters. Something that the other 2 SF films missed the mark on.

true i want to see him work with bigger budget and better choreographers and see what he can do

I see where you are going with this. It could work in a very expressionist world in the vein of Casshern, Goemon, Sky Captain where the whole thing is done with the digital back-lot technique allowing the whole thing to look surreal but totally workable.

I could see that being done for fight scene between Ryu and Akuma taking place in that grass field. It would make the fight itself look alot more dramatic, they can also pay homage to the cinematics from SFIV and have the watercolor effect whenever they kick at high speed or use hadokens

that is why i brought up Snyder he specializes in those surreal back drops and hyper tensed action beats may it be sped up or slowed down action

but Ansah surely has a passion for it tho

Yeah, but I'm thinking doing the whole movie this way. The fighters travel a lot and go through a lot of environments, why not make them look f-ing epic and impressionistic? Remember the mountain base in Sky Captain? Or Shangri-la in the movie? Of in Casshern the climb up the mountain or the walk through the forest? I love digital back-lot movies because they can look really huge.

Goemon is a great example of one of those movies and it has a lot of cool fighting too.

I think both Snyder and Ansah could work together on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"