Capcom hitting the continue button on Street Fighter Flicks

VenomVsSpidey

Superhero
Reaction score
You would think they learned their lesson after LOCL....although I love the 94' version.:o

Here's what Christian Svensson who is Capcom's VP of strategic planning had to say why Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li was such a total failure :

There’s a book to be written there. This is where I have to be careful. Let’s just say there were a lot of people with different ideas as to what was the best route to take with that movie. A path was chosen, a result was had. I think there are some learnings internally that we’ve taken away from that experience.

On the potential of crappy Street Fighter diluting the brand:

As long as the games are strong, the fans will be there. Certainly, the other part of this is we do have actually very successful uses of Street Fighter IP in comics and merchandise like Snuggies and action figures. I’d look at the movies as an opportunity missed, rather than anything that’s damaged us.

On how movies integrate into Capcom’s larger business plan:

I think if you ask Haruhiro Tsujimoto, who’s our COO and President in Japan, the model he’s always put forward to us is the Marvel model. That is, Marvel’s business was comic books, but they have branched out and become a pop culture media company. I think that’s really the ultimate goal for Capcom in the long term. I don’t think it’s an easy path. It’s not an immediate path where this is going to happen, but we already do content expansion through a variety of media — novels, comics, and soundtracks.

I'll give Capcom and A for ambition, that's for sure! They aren't giving up and like he said if the games stay strong and the fans stay loyal that means they have money to burn so maybe they'll get it right down the road.

http://geektyrant.com/news/2010/7/19/capcom-is-planning-more-street-fighter-movies-but-why.html

If they want to really branch out they should try doing it with some of their properties that actually have stories. Try making some proper Resident Evil movies or Devil May Cry or even animated Mega Man and Breath of Fire movies. Not Street Fighter which really doesn't lend itself to this.

There are tons of martial arts Movies. How difficult is it to make a decent one that features more colorful characters? I can't even believe Legend of Chun-Li has been such a mess. That should have been something like one of Jackie Chan's Police Story movies. Just, you know, featuring Chun-Li.

Can't be any worse than LOCL... man was that horrible

Its not even that hard to make a GOOD street fighter movie, the story is there already. They just decided to ignore the good stuff and go in another direction. I'm not crazy about the character Chun Li but potentially her story could be very good, I never did see the movie though!

You should watch it. One should never miss out on such cinematic failures. It's not even Street Fighter 94, so cheesy bad it becomes good bad, Legend of Chun-Li is just bad bad. Though Chris Klein tries to bring the 94 cheese back with his role.

I fail to see what peoples problems are with the 94 version. Every character looked almost 100% like their game counterparts. Raul Julia ******* owned as Bison & visually it was like watching the game. It was what a movie like that should be, fun, not serious, not realistic but plain fun & that's what it was. I love it & can rarley fault it outside of the casting of Kylie Minogue & JCVD.

Steve

Have you seen the animated Movie? Then you know what most people's problems are with the 94 Movie.

Basically adapt one of the anime movies into live action. That's all you need to do.

I fail to see what peoples problems are with the 94 version. Every character looked almost 100% like their game counterparts. Raul Julia ******* owned as Bison & visually it was like watching the game. It was what a movie like that should be, fun, not serious, not realistic but plain fun & that's what it was. I love it & can rarley fault it outside of the casting of Kylie Minogue & JCVD.

Steve

that is how I feel....

Street fighter Alpha movie was so awesome. I so wish they would make a movie like that but with live action people.

Wait... did that article mention that they have Street Fighter Snuggies?

Alright, I just had to look it up. This is what I found.

I swear, I immediately went to Ebay and looked for a snuggie. I never owned one, I don't know if I would even wear it, I just wanted to have one for the heck of it.

It would be cool if they did a Ken and Ryu movie. It would be quite easy to tell the story of two guys from different worlds who de4velop a brother-like bond training with the same Sensei then going their separate ways. Then coming back together after the death of said Sensei. You don't even have to get crazy outlandish with the sfx of crazy looks and you can throw in a couple of the other SF guys as opponents along the way.

Think Isaac Florentine, he's been doing some amazing work as of late.

If Capcom wants to be Marvel, first they must pay more respect to the source material, and not dilute them with filmsy adaptations like the Resident Evil series or both Street Fighter movies. Capcom is so scared that moviegoers won't take the movies based on games seriously, yet they went ahead to make even sillier movies out of their properties. Capcom needs to be like what WB is doing, and have the people who design their games oversee the movie projects. It's the only way to make sure they are more faithful to the games that they are trying to adapt.

They should just let the guys who did Street Fighter: Legacy do a feature film

They should just let the guys who did Street Fighter: Legacy do a feature film

With some better special effects though, I should hope. As cool as that was, people are still having trouble making Hadokens not look stupid. They should get ILM to do the effects using the particle engine they made for The Last Airbender. That movie may have been disappointing but at least they were able to show people chucking fireballs without it looking fake.

I definitely give the thumbs up on John Foo returning as Ryu. He was awesome in SFL. :up:

No, I would leave out the powers and all that stuff. Save that for the game. You don't need to put crazy lights and effects around a tornado kick, it would look silly to me. Why not just have an actor do a 360 kick which is what it's based on. Double palm heel strike to the chest or body instead of a bolt of energy flying across the room, I could go on, but the moves have a basis in real moves, so why not do those and save the crazy powers and lights for the game.

Steve

I can. I mean, I don't go to movies to feel like I'm looking at the game. I go to movies to see stories and action and characters, and Street Fighter was light on all three counts. Raul Julia, and Zangeif's lines, were like rare sparkling jewels in a bowl full of mediocrity. Great as a fanfilm ("Ooooh, so that's where Chun Li gets her outfit") but as a piece of entertainment it was just lacking. Honestly, if you can look at Dee Jay, his performance and appearance, and not find fault with this film, then you're not going to the film to see a quality film, you're going to see a video game, in which case, as you've said, you will rarely find any fault with 1994's Street Fighter.

No, I would leave out the powers and all that stuff. Save that for the game. You don't need to put crazy lights and effects around a tornado kick, it would look silly to me. Why not just have an actor do a 360 kick which is what it's based on. Double palm heel strike to the chest or body instead of a bolt of energy flying across the room, I could go on, but the moves have a basis in real moves, so why not do those and save the crazy powers and lights for the game.

What's the point then? It would just be another martial arts movie, and Hollywood would likely be much better off with an original one than one based off of a video game. In many way, it'd become like the Punisher movies.

Because then it's Tekken, and it loses the signature things of the series by trying to make it all 'realistic.' I mean, why would you remove the things that we identify with these characters? Why not take the characters and translate those superhuman moves into something we can appreciate?

I agree, the powers are not really needed, unless they tone them down and make it something really special. I don't want them chucking several fireballs during a fight. I already thought that 2nd Hadoken Ryu threw in the Legacy fan movie was too much.

The only ones that should have any special powers are the Shotokas like Ryu, Ken and Akuma and then Bison. Being able to do a Hadoken should be really special, something that's really taxing on the body and you only perfom once, twice a day at most. All these Hadokens and other energy moves should be a lost art. I don't want to see a military guy like Guile perform his Sonic Boom in the Movie. You'd think they'd train whole armies to be able to do that ****, if everyone could pull it off.

I guess I see these things differently, my doing a 360 kick is cool to me, it's something that I spent years working on. I just never saw the need for adornment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"