Captain America Trilogy vs. the Avengers Quadrilogy

Erzengel

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
Reaction score
il_570xN.1952357491_13fr.jpg

vs.

e19bed284662d13c9d25621a32216824.jpg

Infinity War and the first Avengers movie are better than any Captain America film for me. But Ultron and Endgame are probably even worse than The First Avenger and Captain overall has a better ratio of good vs mediocre movies so I'd probably go for him.

Age of Ultron is one of the worst movies of the MCU for me, but Civil War is one of the most overrated movies in the MCU as well

also OP I don't know if you're aware of this but the link in your signature is broken.

Cap TFA - 8
Winter Soldier - 10
Civil War - 6.5

Average - 8.2

Avengers - 9
AOU - 6.5
Infinity War - 10
Endgame - 9

Average - 8.6

Cap only has one grandslam and no home runs.

Avengers has two home runs and a grand slam.

Avengers takes this.

Civil War is a grand slam for me. I would go Avengers, though. Just on strength of Endgame and Avengers alone.

Avengers for me.

Avengers 8.5
AoU 7
IW 9
EG 9

TFA 7
TWS 8
CW 8.5

Cap TFA - 8
Winter Soldier - 10
Civil War - 6.5

Average - 8.2

Avengers - 9
AOU - 6.5
Infinity War - 10
Endgame - 9

Average - 8.6

Cap only has one grandslam and no home runs.

Avengers has two home runs and a grand slam.

Avengers takes this.
Civil War is a grand slam for me. I would go Avengers, though. Just on strength of Endgame and Avengers alone.
For me Avengers, CW, IW and EG would all be home runs on their own but IW and EG combined as one epic would be a grand slam. The only other comparable grand slams in film for me would be the Star Wars OT and the LotR trilogy.

Honestly in terms of filmmaking I find LotR trilogy a thousand times better than either Star Wars and Avengers, and it’s not even close. It’s like the peak of cinema for me.

Although I would say that Endgame is the best cinematic experience I have ever had, maybe due to the first and only IMAX screening that I have attended.

Honestly in terms of filmmaking I find LotR trilogy a thousand times better than either Star Wars and Avengers, and it’s not even close. It’s like the peak of cinema for me.

Although I would say that Endgame is the best cinematic experience I have ever had, maybe due to the first and only IMAX screening that I have attended.
maxresdefault.jpg

Avengers 9
AoU 7
IW 10
EG 9

TFA 7
TWS 8
CW 8.5

.................but going Avengers. The original Avengers was almost historic the way they built it up and I love how they ended things in EG and IW.

It’s nothing new. I think Pulp Fiction is a better film then Forrest Gump but I enjoy the latter more.

It’s nothing new. I think Pulp Fiction is a better film then Forrest Gump but I enjoy the latter more.
I don't knock your taste, just that I don't know what it had to do with Avengers vs Cap..............but to each their own. :o

Eh for me:
Cap1: 8.5
Cap2: 8.5
Cap3: 7.5

The Avengers: 8.5
AoU: 6
IW: 8
Endgame: 10

Even though the Cap trilogy is more consistent, I still think Avengers hit higher note. So Avengers

I was replying the preceding comment.

I was replying the preceding comment.
Oh ok. What did you think of Avatar? You think it was grander than any of them visually? I know the story sucked but visually it was a beast.

I mean Avatar is widely bashed today, almost everyone bashing it for being the biggest movie of all time without cultural impact blah blah. For me it’s a technical máterpiece that I really like. I never had any problem with the story.

But let’s keep track to our topic here :D

I mean Avatar is widely bashed today, almost everyone bashing it for being the biggest movie of all time without cultural impact blah blah. For me it’s a technical máterpiece that I really like. I never had any problem with the story.

But let’s keep track to our topic here :D
What?! That story sucked! Visually it is amazing, not going to lie but to rewatch it is painful! I've tried! But you are right.......let's stay on topic........................but last question: you plan to watch the Avatar sequels? I think they are 10 years to late honestly. No way will they make as much as the original.

The Cap trilogy for me.

The Avengers is a wider story and has some spectacular stuff in it, but I prefer the Cap films - they're a little more grounded and personal.

While the fight vs Thanos on Titan is about as good as cgi comic book fights get, there's something about the practical ( as in real people hitting each other) fights in Winter Soldier that make it resonate more with me.

Civil War is one of my favorite MCU films for many reasons - while Endgame not so much, dont get me wrong it's a good movie and it has some great moments ( Worthy Cap possibly being the greatest moment in cbm history since Superman saved Lois from the falling helicopter in 1978) but it meanders a bit and I'm not a fan of "5 years later" as a storytelling point.
Also, IMHO RDJ 's performance in Civil War is superior to his performances in Avengers, Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2 and 3, which elevates the film. He has a gravity in that film that he doesn't fully regain until Endgame.

Civil War also introduced Spider Man and Black Panther in a way that felt natural - rather than shoehorning them in.

I went with Cap. I enjoyed all three Cap movies and find them rewatchable. I also like how each of the Cap films felt different but were a logical expansion from the previous installment. They can be watched individually or together.

For me, the first Avengers movie is one of those movies that loses a lot after the first viewing. I enjoyed it in the theater and yet I found myself bored when watching again on television. AOU doesn't have the novelty factor of the first. The last two Avenger films are huge spectacles that I watched as events but never felt the desire to see repeated viewings.

TBH this is such a hard question because they are obviously so intertwined that to separate them to judge is almost impossible.

I really like First Avenger for the simple story of a boy off to war for love and becomes a hero instead, and the first Avengers for its team building and an actual compelling villain, (who as it turns out, is just working for Thanos.)

And while I absolutely love Winter Soldier (and in fact might watch it again later today), the second Avengers movie is so much like the first it doesn't stand out at all, except for the very welcome addition of Wanda. However, I don't have the same problems with it some people do. I mean, I personally do not think that Black Widow believes she's "a monster" because she can't have kids. They already went over her guilt at her past in the first movie, She even said at least three times that she had "red in her ledger" that she needed to wipe out. That's because of what the Red Room made her, including the fact they took away her choice to have kids. Scarlet Witch just knocked her on her ass and Nat was reminded of who she was and where she came from. And what she did with those skills ever after she got out of the Red Room. Remember the list of horrors Loki recited to her? Why Hawkeye was sent after her in the first place? She says to Bruce that she felt like she just woke up from a dream and he asks her what that was and she says, "That I was an Avenger" meaning at that moment, Nat doesn't feel worthy of being one because of what she's done, not what she can't do. It's Bruce that brings up lack of kids and she just tells him they are the same in that way and if he really thinks that's all it takes to be a monster then he must think she is one too. Which we know he doesn't. Ugh, whatever. I could go on, but I won't. Anyhow, Ultron scores lower.

But I absolutely loathe Civil War (because it makes NO SENSE) so it really hurts my vote for the Captain America movies...

It seems to me that all the Avengers movies, I think, are about Thanos. (Even indirectly Ultron) but all the Cap movies are about Steve trying to find his place in the world, whether it's as the skinny kid from Brooklyn trying to fit in a world at war, to him trying to find where he belongs in the present thinking it's with SHIELD, and then how the world should instead fit with him in Civil War. He has never been on the side of preemptive strikes. He made that clear in Winter Soldier, and then again in Ultron when he is upset with Tony for the program he was developing. Not really because Tony created murder bots (I'm not sure Steve believes Tony is solely at fault for that) but Steve just had to take down SHIELD because Hydra managed to convince them that floating murder machines were a good idea and here Tony is basically doing the same thing even if Tony wouldn't use it the same way, or even thought to use it the same way. So Steve's position in Civil War is a natural progression. Tony, on the other hand, spent several movies making up for the fact he let others take his inventions (his weapons) and he didn't care or pay attention to how they were being used and the damage they did. That was why he became Iron Man, to stop that and to keep control of his creations. But he also knows something else is coming, which fuels his drive to protect the Earth. Yet in Civil War he's all about handing over control of not only himself but all the Avengers to a committee so they can wield them how they see fit? Because, yeah, that worked out so well before. And siding with Ross?? Whose argument is, "while stopping millions of people from dying multiple times, you broke some stuff so we're gonna tell you what to do from now on" is so weak it's insulting. Add to that how ridiculous Zemo's plan is and I just can't stand that movie, nope, sorry.

They should have made another Captain America movie and then used Civil War for an Avengers movie before Infinity War and Endgame because trying to shoehorn an Avengers movie into a Captain America movie didn't do anyone any favors.

Infinity War and Endgame I adore for the unparalleled movie-going experience that they were, despite a few issues here and there, so reluctantly I'm gonna have to go with Avengers.

However, that trio of Cap posters are really cool.

I voted Avengers Quadrilogy.

Captain America: TFA - I didn't care much for it. (6.5 out of 10)
Captain America: TWS - Among the MCU very best. (8.5 out of 10)
Captain America: CW - Big team up movie. (7.5 out of 10)

Avengers - Great stuff. (8.5 out of 10)
Avengers: AOU - I enjoyed it. (8 out of 10)
Avengers: IW - Top notch. (9.5 out of 10)
Avengers: EG - Not as good as i hoped for. (8 out of 10)

It is hard to choose since this is the most solid and best Marvel Studios's franchise that they ever made.

And interesting enough, they interconnected with each other more directly than any other MCU franchise...
Cap 1 leading to Avengers 1, Avengers 1 continuing Cap's story into Winter Soldier, Winter Soldier leads to Age of Ultron, shortly Age of Ultron leads to Civil War, and Civil War with the break up of The Avengers leads to Infinity War and Endgame.

I will go with the obvious, though.
Avengers!

But I absolutely loathe Civil War (because it makes NO SENSE) so it really hurts my vote for the Captain America movies...

It seems to me that all the Avengers movies, I think, are about Thanos. (Even indirectly Ultron) but all the Cap movies are about Steve trying to find his place in the world, whether it's as the skinny kid from Brooklyn trying to fit in a world at war, to him trying to find where he belongs in the present thinking it's with SHIELD, and then how the world should instead fit with him in Civil War. He has never been on the side of preemptive strikes. He made that clear in Winter Soldier, and then again in Ultron when he is upset with Tony for the program he was developing. Not really because Tony created murder bots (I'm not sure Steve believes Tony is solely at fault for that) but Steve just had to take down SHIELD because Hydra managed to convince them that floating murder machines were a good idea and here Tony is basically doing the same thing even if Tony wouldn't use it the same way, or even thought to use it the same way. So Steve's position in Civil War is a natural progression. Tony, on the other hand, spent several movies making up for the fact he let others take his inventions (his weapons) and he didn't care or pay attention to how they were being used and the damage they did. That was why he became Iron Man, to stop that and to keep control of his creations. But he also knows something else is coming, which fuels his drive to protect the Earth. Yet in Civil War he's all about handing over control of not only himself but all the Avengers to a committee so they can wield them how they see fit? Because, yeah, that worked out so well before. And siding with Ross?? Whose argument is, "while stopping millions of people from dying multiple times, you broke some stuff so we're gonna tell you what to do from now on" is so weak it's insulting. Add to that how ridiculous Zemo's plan is and I just can't stand that movie, nope, sorry.
You say that like Tony having control didn't bring about Ultron and cause the Sokovia situation, which led to deaths. Tony, driven by guilt, giving control of himself over to the government, to try to atone for his actions by over-correcting makes sense to me. Who says he, specifically, sides with Ross? At the end of the movie, he dismisses him.

They didn't just break stuff. People died. But, why is it a surprise that Ross would use that reasoning?

What's ridiculous about Zemo's plan? Frame Bucky for explosion, so he can get to him and discover evidence of a secret, so he can break up the avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"