Captain America

They kind of are pointing more at Hawkeye for that now. I don't think Pete would want the mantle of Captain America, given that he probably would have self doubts.
Really? I know Clint is cocky, but I would have assumed that he would not consider himself worthy of donning the winged cowel. What book is this in?

It's most hinted at in New Avengers, where his inner self is basically Captain America.

But they've always kind of had him as this sort of guy who can be selfless, moral, lead teams, be looked up to, inspiring, that sort of junk Captain America is known for.

It's most hinted at in New Avengers, where his inner self is basically Captain America.

But they've always kind of had him as this sort of guy who can be selfless, moral, lead teams, be looked up to, inspiring, that sort of junk Captain America is known for.
Damn. I got a stack of New Avengers I still need to read.

Yeah I agree, Hawkeye has the chops to pull off Cap, but I always got the impression that, like Wolverine, he always thought he wasn't good enough.

He doesn't actually think himself good enough, but he doesn't self doubt he could be that voice and icon. That humble attitude would be a big part of being Cap. Even Cap didn't really think he was always good enough to be Cap.

Clint would make for the better Cap, compared to Bucky, as far as I'm concerned. Bucky is just filled with too much self loathing, that it could actually be a weakness if someone were to exploit it in battle.

Would be interesting to see him in the role for a while before Steve comes back.

Clint did consider himself unworthy to be Captain America back in Fallen Son. Everyone whom fans have named to replace Cap consider themselves unworthy to be Captain America, in fact. I'm still pretty sure Bucky's gonna swallow his pride and take up the mantle, though, if only to prevent some other a**hole from doing it in his stead.

Cap was more all about control, where Bucky seems to be more all about violence and revenge or whatever it is this week.

I think having Bucky as Cap would create a lot of great drama and tension because he is so wrong for it. It might generate some really good story arcs.

I see both Clint and Bucky as viewing themselves not being worthy enough. The difference is that Bucky literally hates himself. Clint just feel inadequate. Both could probably rise to the challange, but I think Clint would do it better.

I actually get the feeling BuckCap would be a lot like FrankCap.

Cap was more all about control, where Bucky seems to be more all about violence and revenge or whatever it is this week.
Personally, sure. But professionally? When he's out there on the job, fighting terrorists? He's all about control in the field, even if he's a bit reckless in the planning stage. I think that'd be interesting to see: a Cap who's as effective as Steve, but a bit more brutal and a lot more personally uncouth. He puts in his time as Cap and goes home to get wasted on whiskey 'til 3 in the morning, then he's back in perfect form the next day. That would be an interesting new dimension to Captain America the symbol.

Yeah, but Bucky's real messed up right now. He's not the old Bucky anymore.

He wasn't the old Bucky when he confronted Frank either.
I was actually replying to Corp's post, but came in between us. I should have quoted it.

But still, I know he wasn't the old Bucky when he confronted Frank, and while he won't be like a Punisher Cap, he won't be like classic Cap either. At least not a first. It might end up being a kind of therapy for him in the long run though. Who knows?

If nothing else, the very fact that he's wearing the Captain America uniform will force him to straighten up. As Jack pointed out, he was ready to kill Frank for bringing his sociopathic methods to Captain America's name. No way he'd just turn around and bring his own dirty, black ops methods to the Cap name. He'd change his whole style around and strive to be as much like Steve as he's capable of being, and he'd probably come out closer to the old Bucky in the end as a result.

But like I said, once the uniform comes off and he's just James Barnes again, I see him being as reckless and impetuous and out-of-control as he is now, at least at first.

If nothing else, the very fact that he's wearing the Captain America uniform will force him to straighten up. As Jack pointed out, he was ready to kill Frank for bringing his sociopathic methods to Captain America's name. No way he'd just turn around and bring his own dirty, black ops methods to the Cap name. He'd change his whole style around and strive to be as much like Steve as he's capable of being, and he'd probably come out closer to the old Bucky in the end as a result.

But like I said, once the uniform comes off and he's just James Barnes again, I see him being as reckless and impetuous and out-of-control as he is now, at least at first.
I agree with you partly. I agree that he would change his style while filling Cap's red boots. Like I said, it might be like a kind of therapy.

But I don't see him changing back once the uniform comes off. Now, that would be a good story arc. The redemption of Bucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"