Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]471549[/split]

2. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I know people get fed up of me saying this but I think women are really under represented in cinema, especially in the action/adventure/super hero genre. There has only been one female Marvel solo film and that was Elektra, which was quite frankly shocking.
    I think it would be amazing if we were to get a Captain Marvel film. I would love it to have no love story, just a good story with lots of action and adventure. It's really not asking for much! :oldrazz:
    Anyway, I know there is a casting thread but I think we should also discuss other things too, such as story line, other casting, direction (Joss Whedon...), ect.

3. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I hope so! i really want ms Marvel...but I also want to see Mar-Vell as well before hand I want them too keep that aspect.

4. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Hopefully Mar-Vell will show up in GOTG2. I don't want him introduced for the first time in Captain Marvel. He needs to be a hero in his own right and respected by the other heroes in order for his death to have the most impact. This is one death that Joss Whedon can run with unashamedly after having built up (or in this case, allowed other to build) his character into a fan favourite.

5. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

Or we can just have it be Carol. Why is it that the FEMALE hero needs to take on the "legacy" of a MALE one? None of the other MCU heroes have done that, they're their own heroes. There are many other ways that the "Captain Marvel" name can come about.

6. Dark Raven

Well there is Ant-Man. And it's an interesting story for Carol gaining her powers in this way and the way it happened in the comics. It's not making her some second class hero, because it's not far different from Green Lantern's premise.

And I want to see Mar-Vell on the big screen with Carol taking up the mantle in her own movie.

And you don't know that there wouldn't be other legacy heroes later on anyway. There's Bucky who could become Captain America, or even Falcon who could as well. And Rhodey is essentially a legacy hero in the comics when he first became Iron Man II before later becoming War Machine.

BTW I've made a thread dedicated to Mar-Vell for those interested:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=488453

7. MahvelBaby!

MahvelBaby! Registered

I'm not really looking at it that deeply I'm just a big Mar-Vell fan. And feel he should be in the movies as well. It wouldn't be a deal breaker if he isn't but I'd like him to be.

8. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Registered

Or it *could* feature Mar-Vell, because he has fans of his own who will likely only have this one chance to see him onscreen, and it's a bit selfish to want to deny them that for no better reason than "I don't like the character". Close your eyes while he's on screen and it should be fine. ;)

9. Wheels

Wheels Eat my shorts

subscribed

10. Suzanne78

Suzanne78 Abs Without Fear

Well, that's her origin. That's who she is, canonically. And now we have a Ms. Marvel who's a legacy character of her, so the circle is complete… or something.

I guess they could have her get her powers from the Terrigen Mists, but given that she's supposed to be a Kree-human hybrid in the comics, her power set may not make much sense if she were Inhuman-based.

ETA: Captain Marvel or "Marvel" could be her pilot nickname/call name/whatever that's called that she ends up adopting after she gets her powers.

11. ralphuniverse

ralphuniverse Registered

G'day,

She is not taking up his legacy, she's taking on Mar-vell's genetic imprint which gives her powers. This is going to be a Carol Danvers Captain Marvel movie not that Kree fellows movie. The purpose of having Mar-Vell will be to give her his powers. After that he can politely die. The audience are not going to know much about Mar-Vell's back story so there's no real legacy to give. However I expect she will inherit some of his accessories including a spaceship. remember the movie is between Pat One and Part two of Avengers 3. Her role will be to go after the GOTG and bring them to Earth to fight Thanos. Carol is the only one who can operate the spaceship as she has Mar-Vell's genetic imprint and the ship's AI recognizes her. The ship calls her Marvel. She is now Captain Marvel. Done.

ta

Ralph

12. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

Because that's what the character is. Just like Captain America's a weak, skinny kid who gains his powers in an experiment in World War II.

13. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

It would be cool if Mar-Vell showed up in GoTG2 and his daughter Phyla-Vell joins the movie line up

14. DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs Registered

Carol rocks. I'm very excited for this film. I'm sure Marvel will knock this out of the park like usual.

15. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

When did I ever say that I didn't like him. Oh that's right, NEVER. Pay attention next time. I just don't like the idea that the first female hero to get her own movie essentially takes the mantle of a MALE character. NONE of the other (male) heroes have had to do that. Oh and that was her origins DECADES ago, when gender attitudes were very different.

16. Loki882

Loki882 Registered

And notice how Steve didn't assume the mantle of the dead "Miss America." I don't care if that was her origins DECADES ago when gender attitudes were VERY different. Times have changed.

17. cph9fa

cph9fa Registered

Well, Rudd seems to be taking the mantle of Ant-Man from Pym (and there's a chance that Bucky ends up taking the mantle of Captain America eventually), but that's really besides the point...

Several of us have discussed before the likelihood that Mar-Vell (being an undercover spy, and all) wouldn't even have any kind of superhero "legacy" or "mantle" on Earth (or Hala for that matter). Therefore, Carol gaining her powers through generic Kree superscience/genetics, befriending a Kree spy, and then ending up wearing a standard Kree flightsuit, is not the same as saying that she takes up a specific character's mantle.

Granted, the naming issue might look a little bit like that, no matter what you do, but as others have said, that could easily be lampshaded as a little joke. (I personally wouldn't mind if she took the name Warbird instead, but I doubt that's the way they're planning to go).

#17 cph9fa, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  18. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

19. cph9fa

cph9fa Registered

20. Hidan

Hidan Registered

Seeing Britney as Carol would kill me inside.

21. Havok83

Havok83 Registered

She can star in AND sing the soundtrack. How many actresses you know can do that?

22. Dark Raven

She'd be rather toxic in the role. Marvel would have to be crazy to get her.

23. Hidan

Hidan Registered

I know this post is sarcastic, but Zooey Deschanel and Emily Kinney immediately come to mind.

24. MakeMinesMarvel

MakeMinesMarvel Registered

I'd be disappointed if they didn't include the original Captain Marvel in this film. Ms. Marvel will totally kick ass but I need atleast 20-30 mins of Captain Marvel in the beginning. I just like how Captain Marvel being a woman and still the title of the film is gonna flip gender stereotypes on its head completely

25. Mister J

Mister J Ya Get What Ya ****ing Deserve!

I'm a little upset that Britney manip was (apparently) made so quickly.

A lot upset actually. :cmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.