Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now that the movie dates have shifted, it looks like Carol will be going up against Shazam. Any thoughts on how this might be played out? All I know is that The Rock is playing Black Adam and Shazam is a knockoff version of Superman that turns into a boy when he says his name. Will DC fans get confused and go watch the Captain Marvel movie instead? I'm not too familiar with DC. Is Shazam even popular like he was back in the day?

Captain Marvel- March 8, 2019
Shazam- April 5, 2019

:funny: I hadn't noticed that, that's a bit funny.

I'm honestly not sure Shazam will take off on film, personally, but who knows.

I don't think popularity is going to matter much wrt to Shazam vs. Captain Marvel. Most superheroes these days aren't very well known to most of the public before their movies so all that matters is that Marvel and DC make sure their marketing is enough to hook people in.

Marvel at least has proven in the past they're more than able to sell the public on characters they hadn't known or cared that much about previously.

Oy vey. I hadn't noticed that, either. That just means we'll have to put up with more fanboy talk of "The REAL Captain Marvel" than usual leading up to the release. Not looking forward to that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the GA had no clue who Ant-Man was.

I can't wait until 2019. The fanboy/girl wars on the internet will be insane. It's way too early to tell, but I think Carol can take him. I think the concept of a little boy who turns into a musclebound superhero is a bit much. Besides, even after Wonder Woman, people will still be thirsty for another powerful superheroine.

AeIG82E.jpg

t33cTji.jpg

0oNhFUP.png

SHAZAM's selling point is the Rock, not the character, fwiw.

god, who besides Ronda Rousey actually wants to see her as Captain Marvel??

it's like we're back in the "Triple H for Thor!" days

She thinks if she says it enough people in charge will listen.

god, who besides Ronda Rousey actually wants to see her as Captain Marvel??

it's like we're back in the "Triple H for Thor!" days

I'm waiting for her to quietly fade into irrelevance again.

Ronda has no shot at getting Captain Marvel. She can campaign as much as she wants but I'm 99.9% sure Marvel wants a more legitimate actresses carrying a franchise.

I'm not bothered by Ronda's campaign. I respect that she's going for it and acknowledges she has a ways to go before even being considered.
I'm sure she's looking at folks like The Rock and Bautista and hoping she can have the same success. Can't blame the woman for wanting it.
Do I think she'll get it? Nah.
But I'd like for someone to throw her a bone. Maybe make her a henchwoman.
Titania? Thundra?

I just don't get why everybody thinks they can be an actor, when they have no innate ability to pull it off
rappers, athletes, models they all think they can do the job and 99.9% fail
Acting requires a very different type of intelligence from athletics or rapping

and my thought is "Ronda, you pretty much ARE Captain Marvel, or at least the real world version of her, so why do you need to play pretend?"

tl;dr- stay in your lane, non-actors

I'm waiting for her to quietly fade into irrelevance again.
It sounds mean but I am as well.

Some entertainers from other fields can transition into being actors but I don't see it happening for her. Somebody like The Rock is a rarity. Personally I think Gina Carano had more to offer as an actress and screen presence than Rousey and Carano had nothing to offer. :funny:

Guys, I think you're being overly critical.
If you look at Bautista and only focus on his wrestling persona and his work on Riddick, you would never have wanted him as Drax. Especially if you were a fan of the character.
Now I'm by no means campaigning for Rousey to be Carol. I don't want her in that role... But that doesn't mean the woman can't polish herself and be a better entertainer.

Rhonda Rousey is everywhere. Websites just won't shut up about Rhonda Rowsey as Captain Marvel. It's as if they think everyone wants her to be Captain Marvel. It's annoying but at the same time, it's good publicity for Carol and her movie. Anyways will be nice when Carol was finally cast next year and we can in the fancasting once and for all.

If you look at Bautista and only focus on his wrestling persona and his work on Riddick, you would never have wanted him as Drax. Especially if you were a fan of the character.
Now I'm by no means campaigning for Rousey to be Carol. I don't want her in that role... But that doesn't mean the woman can't polish herself and be a better entertainer.

She couldn't even deliver one line well in Furious 7. And Bautista did a good job but, let's be honest, he didn't have to portray much emotional range. Which works for that character but not here. Carol would have to have more than one setting like Drax had in that movie.

Some entertainers from other fields can transition into being actors but I don't see it happening for her. Somebody like The Rock is a rarity. Personally I think Gina Carano had more to offer as an actress and screen presence than Rousey and Carano had nothing to offer. :funny:

Yeah, Carano's a better actress than her, and Carano isn't a good actress herself.

I heavily doubt she is though, especially considering that she is an active fighter. Batista had the benefit of not being a a part of WWE anymore and (outside of a 5 month run in 2014) hasn't been a full time wrestler since 2010, which enabled him to get into acting and improve at it. Also, Batista isn't use for anything more than a blunt instrument outside of the Guardians movies, and he's still that to extent in Guardians of the Galaxy.

This isn't a side role. Carol is a full franchise commitment for both Captain Marvel and Avenger movies. Though she can train to be a better actress in the future, I don't see her turning around to be a capable enough actress to handle a franchise by 2017/2018 when she still has a multi-fight UFC career on her contract and is currently the biggest draw for UFC right now.

She couldn't even deliver one line well in Furious 7. And Bautista did a good job but, let's be honest, he didn't have to portray much emotional range. Which works for that character but not here. Carol would have to have more than one setting like Drax had in that movie.
Yes, her not being able to decently deliver one line in Furious 7 bothered the hell out of me. I'm like man are you awful, not mediocre but awful. And the Fast and Furious films aren't even about acting but only Rousey and Carano's performances have bothered me.

Yes, her not being able to decently deliver one line in Furious 7 bothered the hell out of me. I'm like man are you awful, not mediocre but awful. And the Fast and Furious films aren't even about acting but only Rousey and Carano's performances have bothered me.

I agree but would toss in Rodriguez too. Can't stand her in anything. :funny:

I agree but would toss in Rodriguez too. Can't stand her in anything. :funny:
I think Rodriguez is fine and perfect for the Fast series. I mean I'm not checking on her movies but as long as she stays in her area I am cool with her.

Last edited:

The Rock also came from an industry that requires a certain amount of acting and he was widely regarded as being one of the most charismatic wrestlers in history.

The Rock also came from an industry that requires a certain amount of acting and he was widely regarded as being one of the most charismatic wrestlers in history.
Yep that is the big difference. You could always see the Rock's movie star charisma and to his credit he learned to be a better actor over the years. I don't even like wrestling and I saw that Dwayne Johnson was something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"