Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am somewhat skeptical of the Shazam movie. The concept can be endearing on the comic book page and in animation (I thought Shazam was one of the best things about Justice League: War), but live action is a different kettle of fish. Especially when they've taken the (huge) risk of casting The Rock not as Shazam but Black Adam. Will it be too jarring for audiences to see The Rock as an anti-hero or even slightly villainous?

And regarding Rousey's acting gigs, it's understandable she's trying to get her foot in (no pun intended). An athlete's career is short and could get cut permanently at any given time. But I don't want her as Carol. You can't give a premium female character - one could even say Marvel's own Wondy - to a neophyte actor.

And I also shudder at the thought of any "real" Captain Marvel debates. Hopefully everyone will relax and remember this:

4589565-5682181118-Marve.jpg

I do kind of admire/respect her enthusiasm/persistence though. Also Dave Bautista pleasantly surprised me when I saw GOTG as well, so I don't want to close that door completely 100% just yet. But, she most likely won't get it ultimately.

So, is Ronda Rousey the only celebrity/actress that want to play Captain Marvel? I think it would be pretty cool if Yvonne Strahovski was campaigning for the role. :sly:

Just a question, which do you guys prefer, with helmet or without?

I think I would be ok with anyone Marvel chooses to be CM.

Dave Bautista is not the lead of Guardians of the Galaxy though so the comparison isn't apt. Listen I'm not going to pretend to be a casting director. If she auditioned and Marvel gave her the gig then I would assume that she gave a good audition and they gave her the job for a reason. I would give her a chance when I walked into the theater. I don't see her scoring the Captain Marvel gig though, I just flat out do not. Personally I see Marvel going with a super safe choice for the role.

Dave Bautista is actually a pretty good actor who worked his ass off to improve his acting. Compare this with Ronda who can't act at all and acts like all she needs is to do two more movies and thinks that Marvel will just fall in love with her. She's so full of herself, it's not even funny. I guess that's what happens, though when you never lose a match.

Dave Bautista is not the lead of Guardians of the Galaxy though so the comparison isn't apt. Listen I'm not going to pretend to be a casting director. If she auditioned and Marvel gave her the gig then I would assume that she gave a good audition and they gave her the job for a reason. I would give her a chance when I walked into the theater. I don't see her scoring the Captain Marvel gig though, I just flat out do not. Personally I see Marvel going with a super safe choice for the role.

Audition? NONSENSE! If she wanted the role, she's gonna beat it out of Marvel.:o

I didn't say that I WANTED her to get the role.

Just a question, which do you guys prefer, with helmet or without?

My preference is without. That being said, I understand the point of the helmet and I'm OK when used under limited circumstances (specifically, when she is literally in space).

I don't mind the helmet but I like her without it. There's two schools of thought. One, Marvel heroes very rarely wear their masks and helmets in the movies for extended periods of time, but on the other hand, having a mask or helmet REALLY helps when they need to do all-CGI sequences (since you don't have to worry about properly rendering and animating a human face, thus avoiding the uncanny valley).

So it could go either way.

My preference is without. That being said, I understand the point of the helmet and I'm OK when used under limited circumstances (specifically, when she is literally in space).

Kind of like how Star Lord's mask is used in the film.

I would definitely prefer her to be without it most of the time.

Yeah, Star Lord's mask is the example I was thinking of. In fact, the biggest reason I wouldn't give her the helmet is it'll come off as very similar to Star Lord.

Marvel's gonna want someone with more acting experience to carry a franchise. This is going to be their first solo female superhero franchise and I highly doubt they'd trust an actress as inexperienced as Ronda with it.

Audition? NONSENSE! If she wanted the role, she's gonna beat it out of Marvel.:o

Nah, Marvel hired Cyborg Santos to as head security guard so Ronda will turn around and avoid her.

This discussion is basically Triple H for Thor all over again. I stand a better chance of being elected Pope than Rousey does landing Captain Marvel. They might throw her a bone and give her offer her some C or D list villain or other minor part (like Batroc in TWS) but headling Cap. Marvel? Not a chance.

This discussion is basically Triple H for Thor all over again. I stand a better chance of being elected Pope than Rousey does landing Captain Marvel. They might throw her a bone and give her offer her some C or D list villain or other minor part (like Batroc in TWS) but headling Cap. Marvel? Not a chance.

It'll be like Fox giving Gina Carano a co-villain role in Deadpool. She knows how to throw a punch but is not a good enough actress to carry a film.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't mind if she played some minor henchwoman or something but no way is she going to play Captain Marvel.

I can't wait until Captain Marvel's cast just so we don't have to hear news of Rousey being Captain Marvel anymore.

I can't wait until Captain Marvel's cast just so we don't have to hear news of Rousey being Captain Marvel anymore.

I can't wait until the internet's love affair with her ends so she can stop being all over news pages I look at every other day.

If they do use a helmet at all, they should rework it. At least get rid of the Mohawk, let her hair out the back.

I can't wait until the internet's love affair with her ends so she can stop being all over news pages I look at every other day.

I don't mind that she's so successful, because she's earned it to a degree (she's received flack for ducking certain fighters, though). I'm just more frustrated that the other, better women's division in the UFC (the smaller strawweights) doesn't receive even half as much attention.

I think it's fine that she gets a lot of attention for her sport but she isn't a real actress yet, so the amount of attention she gets for talking about which roles she wants is silly. Nobody should care much if she thinks she should be Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel. If she wants leading lady roles, fine but shut-up hone your craft and audition. I think the same thing about sports dudes and anyone who desperately campaigns for roles in the media. Most of the time it's super obnoxious to me.

I think it's fine that she gets a lot of attention for her sport but she isn't a real actress yet, so the amount of attention she gets for talking about which roles she wants is silly. Nobody should care much if she thinks she should be Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel. If she wants leading lady roles, fine but shut-up hone your craft and audition. I think the same thing about sports dudes and anyone who desperately campaigns for roles in the media. Most of the time it's super obnoxious to me.

I find it obnoxious enough when actual actors do it. Far more so when it is athletes, singers, etc. that don't have much, if any of an actual acting resume.

You mean you don't want that guy from Transformers to be Green Lantern? :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"