Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 9

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by flickchick85, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

:funny: This dude.

Flint Marko and THORin like this.
  2. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

3. Hammer! Registered

My girlfriend finally decided to go to this one. She usually really digs the Marvel movies, but didn't really want to see this initially because it has a female lead of all reasons. She was bored and didn't care for Wonder Woman, which equals being skeptical of all female-led superhero films I guess.

4. Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Uh wtf? Lol

Shuri and THORin like this.
  5. Holy Slapper Registered

I think your girlfriend might have been a man previously....

Marvel united likes this.
  6. Marvolo Registered

Just watched Stuckman's review. He gave it a C. Said it was messy, bland, no individual style, forgettable fights and choreography, and Brie was wooden. Pretty much what I've been expecting since the teaser trailer. Wish I'd been wrong. I'm watching it Friday, but only because I have to to get the most out of Avengers Endgame. Otherwise this would be a rental.

Jh7058622 likes this.
  7. Hammer! Registered

She likes the main character to be a hot guy for eye candy, nothing wrong with that. Was surprised she thought WW was super boring though.

8. Hammer! Registered

I've seen enough people praise Brie that I'm not overly worried. A number have definetely said similar things as Stuckman, reactions are a little all over the place. A handful of critics also said Gal was wooden in WW, but still ended up liking the movie, as did I.

Iceman and THORin like this.
  9. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Good thing one reviewer can't declare a universal truth and there are plenty of other reviews stating the total opposite, so maybe, just maybe, you were. ;)

10. Holy Slapper Registered

Correction: I think your girlfriend was definitely a gay man before.

THORin likes this.
  11. Hammer! Registered

Not sure how you came to that conclusion but whatever.

12. abcfsk Registered

I'll repost what I said elsewhere:

For me it's one of the best MCU movie so far.

Brie portrayed Carol with a real delicate touch, I felt. The amnesia thing didn't take away from her performance, as some critics have claimed, instead there was a sort of fragile touch to the whole movie. It still had room for Carol to become the character she is at her best in the books (super-confident, gleeful in action). But when things could've become bombastic or by the numbers epic/melodramatic instead the movie opts for sweetness or simplicity. A climax that doesn't overstay its welcome is also.. welcome.

I still wanted to see more of her earth life from the comic books - the neighborhood Carol, daily struggles, addictions, and so on - but there's room for that later on. It's very much an origin story, with those prerequisite parts, but her relationship with Maria and Monica is still substantial and important. And while I don't think Ben Mendelsohn 'steals the show' (Brie does) he's one of several important pieces in bringing those gentle, sweet moments to the center of the film.

Bonus: Pretty great score (in addition to the 90s songs), felt like it moved through an unusual amount of varied textures and motifs, including some 90s cop movie touches.

SwiftFox, opert, Iceman and 4 others like this.
  13. Holy Slapper Registered

[​IMG]

14. Zyraquis Registered

Some reviewers are making her a Lilith Sternin reincarnate. Can’t wait to see! I miss Lilith

15. KBX Registered

I have a feeling Holland and Ruffalo are going to fake spoil something for Endgame

Iceman likes this.
  16. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yep, officially not believing a damn thing that "slips out" from either of those two on the press tour, lol.

Iceman likes this.
  17. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Likely because they were given fake scripts by the Russo Bros just so they couldn't spoil things.

Iceman likes this.
  18. Marvolo Registered

He and most critics tend to be more forgiving of Marvel than I am. So when I see an MCU film getting a C from Stuckman, and it hovering in the low 80s on RT... I dont expect much. I think Sam Jackson and Gregg might save it from being a Dark World or Ant Man for me tho. Plus I'll be watching it in a brand new Dolby Cinema so it has that going for it too.

19. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Well, low expectations never hurt. Could even surprise you, ya never know. At the very least, enjoy the Dolby! I find myself preferring that over IMAX these days, unless a film was shot in IMAX.

THORin likes this.
  20. flickchick85 Admin of Might

They could still spoil things from the scenes they were actually present for, lol. But like I said, I fully intend to disregard any "slips" from them this time. Especially after I witnessed the glee with which the Russo's admitted to putting those fake shots in the IW trailer and said we might expect the same for the next one at the Q&A with them I was at, I wouldn't have put it past Marvel at all to have told Sam Jackson to drop a time travel "slip up" in one of his interviews to throw people off, and I wouldn't put it past the Russo's to ask something similar of Mark and Tom for the Endgame press tour either. So to sum up: I TRUST NO ONE.

21. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Brie and Sam did an episode of Carpool Karaoke: The Series, which will drop on Apple TV this Friday:

Holy Slapper, opert and flickchick85 like this.
  22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I won’t be trusting anything that comes out of their mouth lol.

23. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Oh I forgot to mention but CM comes out here tomorrow and I have tickets booked for just after midday. :cool:

24. flickchick85 Admin of Might

[​IMG]

These ladies are on a team called the Western Bulldogs. I don't know the sport or what country they're in, lol.

(I'm guessing it's rugby since I don't recognize that ball at all?)

Tymminator likes this.
  25. samsnee Ok

@abcfsk
    Good to hear. How do you rank the other MCU movies and where does this one rank?