• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Captain Planet - An exericise in the falicy of Website Rules

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a second! The hype has a home page?

You can control content you already know, it's a lot harder to control content you don't. The front page knows what the video contains and knowing that, provided a disclaimer. There's no way the administration team on this site knows what 25,000+ people registered here are going to post, hence why they need to control/censor things here...Whether you think it's hypocritical or not is up to you but at the end of the day, there is a difference between the front page and the boards.

Darthphere said it best in my opinion. This is the same issue we have with comments on the main page. We just have no control over what goes up initially on the forums and in the comments. Sure, a moderator can jump in a few minutes later or maybe doesn't notice for 30 minutes... what if it was longer? We have complete control over what content is posted in news items but not over what is posted by thousands and thousands of people when they first do so. That's why we have to have rules in place. I'm sorry if you don't agree with that or think we're trying to take away your free speech, but just imagine if this board had no rules.

well you controlled the content of the video by putting up a warning saying there may be offensive language. you can put the same warning on the front page of the forums. and im not suggesting we go censor free. but some things have gotten out of hand. hell, one time i was infracted for making a joke that used the word "condom".

hell, one time i was infracted for making a joke that used the word "condom".

1249977126_dramatic_black_woman.gif

What?!?! Does the Catholic church run this place?

Yup....I once posted a vid with curse words and I got off with a light chiding......of course there were mitigating factors, but.....
I once helped out someone who didn't know how the

I've seen some abuse of power on the boards with other hypesters in the past. But I'm surprised this thread is still going on over such a minor occurrence.

well you controlled the content of the video by putting up a warning saying there may be offensive language. you can put the same warning on the front page of the forums. and im not suggesting we go censor free. but some things have gotten out of hand. hell, one time i was infracted for making a joke that used the word "condom".

Honestly, get over it. You can't use dem cuss words, big deal. There are bigger problems on this site IMHO other than "I feel censored because I can't say ****."

Everyone has an example of mod abuse that is usually exaggerated. I'm not saying mod abuse doesn't happen but most of the time it's a case of the poster catching feelings because they got in trouble.

Because you're nobody. You're poster #98765342 Kahoot. You have no power. If you put a disclaimer before posting a naughty video, you're still posting a naughty video that is against the rules. Even worse, you know it's against the rules because you posted a disclaimer.

Crap like this is why no real progress will ever be made to better the Hype because people are stuck on their feelings and the inability to say curse words.
I was pointing out that it was hypocritical. Iit doesn't matter if we think it is or not, it's a fact that they are being hypocritical.

I was pointing out that it was hypocritical. Iit doesn't matter if we think it is or not, it's a fact that they are being hypocritical.

They're really not. It's a control issue. How many threads, posts and forums are on this message board? You think they're following every single one of YOUR posts to make sure you're posting abides by the rules? It's different, you guys know it's different but you guys wants to keep going on with this attitude that the mods are out to get you. Been there, done that. Grow up and get over it.

Most posters don't understand that sometimes there are thousands of posts made per day...and they range from :woot: to 25 paragraphs of their college term paper on how the overthrow of the Romanov's led to grunge rock. Not everything can be read by the mods in a timely manner, and sometimes they are just missed.

Kahoot is mad because he got an infraction for just helping another poster. Well, he just helped another poster post a video with uncensored cursing in it (and quoted it as well). Thus breaking the rules.

We the mods were as surprised by the Captain Planet video on the front page as you guys were. We the mods have no control whatsoever over what is on the front page. So when everyone says that THE MODS are being hypocritcal or unfair...we can only face palm ourselves and say will these people ever understand the world we live in? We moderate the FORUMS here...not the front page and not other sites around the net.

Darthphere, Darthphere, Darthphere, Darthphere rockin' everywhere.

Most posters don't understand that sometimes there are thousands of posts made per day...and they range from :woot: to 25 paragraphs of their college term paper on how the overthrow of the Romanov's led to grunge rock. Not everything can be read by the mods in a timely manner, and sometimes they are just missed.

Kahoot is mad because he got an infraction for just helping another poster. Well, he just helped another poster post a video with uncensored cursing in it (and quoted it as well). Thus breaking the rules.

We the mods were as surprised by the Captain Planet video on the front page as you guys were. We the mods have no control whatsoever over what is on the front page. So when everyone says that THE MODS are being hypocritcal or unfair...we can only face palm ourselves and say will these people ever understand the world we live in? We moderate the FORUMS here...not the front page and not other sites around the net.

LINK. ME. NOW.

Darthphere, Darthphere, Darthphere, Darthphere rockin' everywhere.

It's what I do broseph.

Everyone has an example of mod abuse that is usually exaggerated. I'm not saying mod abuse doesn't happen but most of the time it's a case of the poster catching feelings because they got in trouble.

Right. Which is something you never complain about. Oh wait, you spent about 8 pages in the Hurricane Irene thread complaining about mod abuse. Your whining was so epic it even got the thread locked. Hypocrite. :whatever:

Honestly, get over it. You can't use dem cuss words, big deal. There are bigger problems on this site IMHO other than "I feel censored because I can't say ****."

Because you're nobody. You're poster #98765342 Kahoot. You have no power. If you put a disclaimer before posting a naughty video, you're still posting a naughty video that is against the rules. Even worse, you know it's against the rules because you posted a disclaimer.

Crap like this is why no real progress will ever be made to better the Hype because people are stuck on their feelings and the inability to say curse words.

:wow:

:up:

:up: I don't know why people assumed you guys had any say about the front page. Sounded a bit like a witch hunt to me.

Er, and the Romanov's overthrow totally did! :cmad:

Right. Which is something you never complain about. Oh wait, you spent about 8 pages in the Hurricane Irene thread complaining about mod abuse. Your whining was so epic it even got the thread locked. Hypocrite. :whatever:

I think he means on a 'I got banned/infracted/warned/smacked on the knuckles for this' level. The Hurricane thread is its own beast.

OOOOOOOH BURN!

The Hurricane Irene thread was ridiculous though and that was a different case altogether. Though I wasn't the reason that thread got locked so nice try there. I even said it in that post you quoted, mod abuse happens (like IMO the Hurricane Irene thread and the Jersey shore pic fiasco that caused it) but MOST of the time, it's exaggerated (like in the Hurricane Irene thread).

:huh:

I love how Darth never posts, but as soon as a heated argument anywhere on the Hype surfaces, he's on that thread, fast.

Light the Darth signal!

I love that curse words are censored. I like to play a little game of ''What does this censored word mean'', also, censored words are more badass.

Just invent your own curse words. Something completely nonsensical and yet seemingly offensive.

I love how Darth never posts, but as soon as a heated argument anywhere on the Hype surfaces, he's on that thread, fast.

Light the Darth signal!

:up:

"What's that? Users are fighting mods? To the Darthmobile!"

PWN3R, want to be my Robin?:hrt:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member