The Last Jedi Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (VIII)

Is it more respectful to just write the character out? if you had so much importance for her character and her legacy being the mother of kylo and brother of luke do you take it away because of her sad passing? would that be something she would have wanted?

its understandable out of respect for family that it could be uncomfortable and obviously whatever they do they will have to ask permission to do so but in terms of what the original plan was for leia do you hide from that now? or do you try and make a respectful touching tribute.

Last edited:
I have to agree with GuestStar on this. It's a tough situation but we have very talented people, that loved and respected Carrie. There are many things they can do. It does not have to be 100% CGI or 100% writing her out. It depends if they change anything in VIII if not you have stand-in's you can have deleted unused footage of Carrie from TFA and VIII used to fit the plot. It does not have to be one extreme or the other.

I would agree it would be disrespectful and I'm sure Billie, Mark and others would agree to just "write her out". Even Mark knows her and her character are one and if you just disrespect that it's a slap in a face to everyone.

We don't need anything like this:

[YT]4tvAjX5ACPo[/YT]

There are many ways they can creatively finish what story they need to with Carrie. There are too many unknowns on what would be best but Colin and Rian I'm sure will be talking about it in the upcoming weeks.

No I don't agree. Yes, I don't want to see "fake Leia" for an entire movie, it's awkward and uncomfortable and distracting. This whole well growing obsession with CGI-ing people to look like other people, or to get around DEATH, is just not something I'm in favor of.

Yes, it would be more respectful to write her out and have her death mean something story. And it's been done before.

No it would not necessarily be more respectful. You don't know what role she has to play in IX. She wanted to be in IX she was going to be in it so to just throw the character out is not going to necessarily happen Again it does not mean she will be prominent nor will it mean full CGI, again there are other tricks including tricky re-writes that fit with unused dialogue and footage. Unlike Tarkin, there is a lot of unused and alternate takes/deleted scenes for present day Carrie with TFA and VIII, you can use tricky editing for those things too.

Leia is a warrior, and just to say "She died" off screen could be really cheap and a slap in the face to everything Carrie built with that character. You need to have a proper send off. Now again we don't know what happens in VIII there may be an opportunity to change it where she goes out in glory there. It's too early to speculate the full ramifications. But to go to one extreme or the other, like 100% CGI use or write her out is something I won't agree with either side fully.

I trust Kathy will make sure this character is given the proper send off. Maybe if there is a slim chance they can write her death into the story yeah it could work, but it may not be that simple.

Last edited:
These things aren't ever easy to deal with, but the last thing I'd want would be for them to write her character out of it. I just hope whatever they figure out is amicable and they give her the best send-off imaginable. She deserves that.

tumblr_oiwvt7Ej2Y1qcpno5o1_1280.jpg

I don't want to see Leia die in the films. I just can't handle it at this point.

For IX, the way I'd write it as having her off screen sending commands. Maybe she's hidden away somewhere for her own safety. Could the manipulate audio in a way that we could hear her giving Poe or Rey orders to go do something? That way if they did need to use CGI Leia, it would only be for a small scene, and they could still have her presence.

I agree most of the crew would probably agree with the "write her out" way, but I really don't want to see Leia die.

Is it more respectful to just write the character out? if you had so much importance for her character and her legacy being the mother of kylo and brother of luke do you take it away because of her sad passing? would that be something she would have wanted?

its understandable out of respect for family that it could be uncomfortable and obviously whatever they do they will have to ask permission to do so but in terms of what the original plan was for leia do you hide from that now? or do you try and make a respectful touching tribute.

I don't think there are any easy answers to this. If they can piece together something with bits of disused footage that might be the way to go, I'm dead against a CGI Leia.

I think the thing Star Wars is going to have to start contending with is that the series cannot be beholden to the characters from the 70's for much longer. We can't keep CGing people into this series for the sake of continuity, and if we're honest even though Hamill seems in good shape at present he's not going to be around forever either. In all honesty, Carries passing might be the catalyst to move the franchise beyond the Skywalkers, the droids, and everyone else from the original series.

Unbelievable about Debbie Reynolds passing just a day later. Can't imagine what that family is going through right now. :csad:

As for how to handle Leia's character going forward, for now I am going to trust that Rian, Colin and Kathy will find a tasteful way to send her off. One thing that comes to mind would be some type of final message via hologram if they must do a big of CGI recreation. Could be a way to bring things full circle for that character, and after not being a huge fan of what they did with Tarkin- I really don't want to have a CGI Carrie Fisher shoved in my face for a whole movie. It just would draw more discomfort to the situation and is distracting IMO. I don't think they will do that.

If you think about it, the saga doesn't necessarily have to give every single major character a death to write them out of the saga. In fact that could start to get a bit repetitive. With the right amount of creativity and respect, there'll be a way forward.

I do kind of hope that she and Kylo share a scene in Episode VIII, just because it would be a shame if that's something they were building to for IX that can never be now. At least not with Adam Driver and Carrie Fisher acting together.

HBO is moving the Carrie/Debbie documentary, Bright Lights up to air on Jan 7.

I expect many tears.

I have always assumed kylos story was always going to be deeply tied to his percentage and without leia or even Han you don't really have that and the character may lose something because of that.

It's likely the original plan was for leia to be in episode 9 probably in a fairly big part in the conclusion of kylos story so if they do go the CGI route they probably wont do a lot with it but I don't know if they have any other choice that won't make her absence feel odd.

Last edited:
Still we have no idea to what extent she would be in IX. Nor do we really know what Kylo will do. I think Kylo regardless will be very much tied to family, and we still have Luke. Again I don't think they will use 100% CGI or much at all if they do use her. I think they will go for clever editing of all the unused footage of her from TFA and VIII and maybe attach her performance onto a body double.

HBO is moving the Carrie/Debbie documentary, Bright Lights up to air on Jan 7.

I expect many tears.

HBO is also showing Wishful Drinking on Sunday night (I think it’s on HBO Go no as well). If you haven’t seen it yet, definitely check it out. I saw it on Broadway and it was totally brilliant:

[YT]xcTvmIEG4Xw[/YT]

Fathom Events is also going to be showing Singin’ in the Rain in movie theaters on January 15th and 18th (this was already on the schedule before this week). Definitely check that out too, if you can...it’s one of my favorite movies.

Personally I wouldn't want to see CGI Leia if she was supposed to play a big role, because I found the CGI with Tarkin to be distracting in RO. It looked good when he didn't talk, but the second he started talking and interacting with human characters, it never looked right.

I really hope they don't go the CGI route. That would just seem wrong and I don't think anybody really wants to see that. The writers ought to be able to work out something else to avoid it.

I've played around in my mind the possible routes they could take her character.

Going the off-screen death route and have in Episode 9 someone announce that Leia was assassinated or her ship was ambushed out of hyperspace, I feel the audience would immediately react and feel this scene was wrote in because of Carrie Fisher passing. I feel her character is too big to have such a random moment like that. I also feel most would be annoyed by this.

Just writing her out route and have it made clear that Leia didn't want anything to do with the war anymore after the death of Han at the hands of their son. This might work or just simply point out she is working behind the scenes with no direct involvement kinda like in TFA might work too.

CGI might boil down to how much of a role it was planned for her in Episode 9 and how she was going to impact Kylo's character. I don't want the movie to come off as disrespectful but I don't like the thought of Kylo's character being less as a result if he was going to have a big scene with his mom. But just the thought of him hugging a cgi Leia would look and feel awkward unless done right.

On screen death could come off as disrespectful unless it was already filmed for Episode 8. Also I'm not on board with all of the old characters have to be killed or die to demonstrate the passing of the torch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"