The Rise of Skywalker Carrie Fisher as Leia Organa (IX)

Star Wars Leia Organa Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys

leia-organa_star-wars_feature.jpg

leia-organa_star-wars_gallery_5c4fb7fc5a910.jpg

Todd Fisher: “[Leia] was going to be the big payoff in this final [Skywalker Saga] film and that's what the intent was prior to [Carrie] exiting [after her death]. She was going to be the last Jedi, so to speak. And that’s cool right? People used to say to me, ‘Why is it that Carrie never gets a lightsaber and chops up some bad guys?' Even as a person of her age, Obi-Wan was in his prime was about Carrie’s age!” "I felt the stuff that Carrie did in The Last Jedi was her best work. She had really come to grips with who Princess Leia was and that she and her were one and the fact that they had all of this other footage - I didn't even know - they had eight minutes of [previous] footage. Yeah, it's a lot of footage. The truth is that J.J. Abrams was great friends with Carrie, loved Carrie, he had an extraordinary sense of love for her and so he took great care in moving this concept along. You know...grabbed every frame and analyzed it...thanks to J. J. conscientiously doing that and then reverse-engineering it and [got] it into the story the right way. It’s kind of magical.” “This is, in its own way, a payoff to all of that. It’s Carrie talking to us all from beyond. The beautiful thing about the concept of the Force is that there is no real death; you just exist in another dimension. So Carrie is looking down or sideways or wherever and so she is still part of us. To be able to see that — it’s magical stuff only in the movies.” (November 6, 2019)

Last edited:
Todd Fisher: “[Leia] was going to be the big payoff in this final [Skywalker Saga] film and that's what the intent was prior to [Carrie] exiting [after her death]. She was going to be the last Jedi, so to speak. And that’s cool right? People used to say to me, ‘Why is it that Carrie never gets a lightsaber and chops up some bad guys?' Even as a person of her age, Obi-Wan was in his prime was about Carrie’s age!” "I felt the stuff that Carrie did in The Last Jedi was her best work. She had really come to grips with who Princess Leia was and that she and her were one and the fact that they had all of this other footage - I didn't even know - they had eight minutes of [previous] footage. Yeah, it's a lot of footage. The truth is that J.J. Abrams was great friends with Carrie, loved Carrie, he had an extraordinary sense of love for her and so he took great care in moving this concept along. You know...grabbed every frame and analyzed it...thanks to J. J. conscientiously doing that and then reverse-engineering it and [got] it into the story the right way. It’s kind of magical.” “This is, in its own way, a payoff to all of that. It’s Carrie talking to us all from beyond. The beautiful thing about the concept of the Force is that there is no real death; you just exist in another dimension. So Carrie is looking down or sideways or wherever and so she is still part of us. To be able to see that — it’s magical stuff only in the movies.” (November 6, 2019)
:( Sure would like to have seen that.

Billie Lourd: "[My mother and I] wrapped The Last Jedi a little less than six months before she died. I went back to L.A. to film the show I was on, and she stayed in London to film the show she was on. One of the last times we spoke on the phone, she talked about how excited she was that the next movie in the trilogy was going to be Leia’s movie. Her movie." "About a year later [after my mother's death], J.J. [Abrams] called me into his office to talk about the plans for Leia. We both agreed she was too important to be written off in the classic Star Wars introductory scroll. This last movie was supposed to be Leia’s movie, and we wanted it to remain that, as much as possible. What I hadn’t known–and what J.J. told me that day –was that there was footage of my mom that they had collected over the years that hadn’t made it into the movies, footage that J.J. told me would be enough to write an entire movie around. It was like she had left us a gift that would allow Leia’s story to be completed. I was speechless. (Anyone who knows me knows that doesn’t happen very often.)" "J.J. asked me if I would want to come back as Lieutenant Connix. I knew it would be one of the most painful, difficult things I would ever do, but I said yes for her–for my mom. For Leia. For everyone Leia means so much to. For everyone Leia gives strength to. For my future kids, so someday they’ll have one more movie to watch that Mommy and Grandma were in together. So they can ask me about the lady–now ladies–in the TV and tell me to turn it down because it’s too loud." (November 7, 2019)

In both the SciFiNow and Total Film interviews it was said that Leia was considered or suggested to be recast.

J. J. Abrams: "[Recasting Leia after Carrie Fisher's death was suggested by someone 'high up' in the company.] There are scenes where's interacting with other characters in a way that is uncanny. Hopefully, if it works, it will be an invisible thing and if you didn't know, you would never know. But we got to tell the story with Leia that we would have told had Carrie lived. And that's kind of incredible." (Total Film December 2019)

So anyone seen The movie yet ? and van spoil some Leia stuff for me ? Does she only hold The lightsaber or does she ignite it ? How does she die. How many minutes is she in The movie ? Did they use all the footage they had from Carrie ?

I didn't care for the Leia scenes at all. They don't help the film, and they look and sound awkward. You can tell they are spliced together.

So I just saw the movie last night.
Leia was great. For me I felt her through the whole movie. And her screentime also felt like a lot more then in the previous two movies. It really is a nice way to end the whole skywalker saga.

I thought they did as good a job as possible with Leia, considering the very difficult circumstances.

I didn't mind her scenes and I'm sure they did the best with what they had, but her death could have been handled a lot better. I didn't feel any emotion from it at all.

I didn't mind her scenes and I'm sure they did the best with what they had, but her death could have been handled a lot better. I didn't feel any emotion from it at all.

you didn’t ?
I almost cried in the theaters. And I never cry for movies. Chewie reaction was tip of the iceberg what almost threw me over the edge

I thought her death, given the limitations, and not being able to see her face, or an emotional death sequence, worked pretty well, actually. The rest of her stuff...meh.

I can't believe they went back to Weird CGI Leia for that pointless flashback sequence.

I thought her death, given the limitations, and not being able to see her face, or an emotional death sequence, worked pretty well, actually. The rest of her stuff...meh.

I can't believe they went back to Weird CGI Leia for that pointless flashback sequence.

Rogue One Leia?

I think so. That or they had an actress playing Weird CGI Leia.

I have real mixed feelings about Leia in this. I thought it sounded great and still think it is, on paper. It was really obviously stitched together and I found it all a bit uncanny.

As said above, I could have done without the flashback too.

It sucks we lost Carrie and I appreciate what they were trying to do, but these scenes were awful. It was so unnatural.

It worked OK, they did the best they could. I would be curious to know how different the movie would have been if Carrie hadn't passed away and was able to do everything they wanted Leia to do.

Considering what limited stuff they had to work with, I thought it was probably the best they could have done. Still doesn't make up for how they used her in TLJ, especially the whole Leia Poppins junk.

Not sure how it sure seemed like CGI. Out side of that part though i thought it was great almost forgot she was even dead in real life when i was watching this at times has it didnt seem stiched together at all.

I don't really trust a word he says anymore. JJ Abrams isn't really trustworthy, and he always oversells things. Just like he oversold Leia in this movie.

You can see the footage and effects used on youtube. It's not a CG face, though it's really a technicality at this point. Like, does it really matter that there was no 100% digital Leia but a ton of 90% digital, spliced together from B-roll Leia? It was still jarring, uncanny and unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"