Cast the Marvel Universe - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want diverity then they should use an asian character not make one out of one that isn't. There is too much ultimates influence in marvels films already. They don't need an Ultimate Wasp.

Have to agree with that. If they want diversity put Panther, Falcon, Photon,War Machine, Mantis, Firebird etc on the team!

Also love your avy. give her the job!

If they want diverity then they should use an asian character not make one out of one that isn't. There is too much ultimates influence in marvels films already. They don't need an Ultimate Wasp.

Might as well have Ultimate Wasp....at this point, the only characters in the MCU that *aren't* heavily influenced by their Ultimate versions are Hulk and Iron Man.

Besides, Ult Wasp has a bit more of a defined personality than 616 Wasp....I've been an avid Avenger fan since 1974, but I've got to admit that Janet Van Dyne has always been portrayed as a one-dimensional stale whitebread character. AEMH has done little to change that image, although it tries to make her more cutesy.

I'd rather see Ultimate Wasp as an ass-kickin' Asian chick, like Maggie Q or Lucy Liu.

Might as well have Ultimate Wasp....at this point, the only characters in the MCU that *aren't* heavily influenced by their Ultimate versions are Hulk and Iron Man.

Besides, Ult Wasp has a bit more of a defined personality than 616 Wasp....I've been an avid Avenger fan since 1974, but I've got to admit that Janet Van Dyne has always been portrayed as a one-dimensional stale whitebread character. AEMH has done little to change that image, although it tries to make her more cutesy.

I'd rather see Ultimate Wasp as an ass-kickin' Asian chick, like Maggie Q or Lucy Liu.

Not really true. Thor is mostly cannon. Black Widow and Hawkeye are sort of ambiguous. There are hints of ultimates to all the characters but that's kind of the point. They want to atract both audiences. If they went with an asian wasp that would be 100% ultimates and would piss off a bunch of fans.

I don't really agree with what you said about wasps character either but if they want to infuse a little ultimates into her they should do it through her personality not her race.

Do you think maybe Common could pull off the role?
I'm not familiar with his acting. Seems to have a good look for the part, though.

Have to agree with that. If they want diversity put Panther, Falcon, Photon,War Machine, Mantis, Firebird etc on the team!
War Machine could obviously work, even if it might feel a bit redundant with Iron Man already on the team. The only really big name on that list seems to be Black Panther. These movies are likely to be too crowded to make room characters like Photon or Mantis.

All and all, I'd be fine with Asian Wasp if they found an otherwise suitable actress. It doesn't feel like a huge change. It's not like the character has a particularly original or iconic look.

War Machine could obviously work, even if it might feel a bit redundant with Iron Man already on the team. The only really big name on that list seems to be Black Panther. These movies are likely to be too crowded to make room characters like Photon or Mantis.

Yes but for the sake of diversity they could have used one of those characters instead of Black Widow rather than in addition to. They wouldn't have taken up any more screen time than she does. The majority of Avengers fans don't give a flying f**k about Black Widow. She's only in the current cartoon to make her seem more important to the team but even there Wasp and Ant Man were on the team first.

All and all, I'd be fine with Asian Wasp if they found an otherwise suitable actress. It doesn't feel like a huge change. It's not like the character has a particularly original or iconic look.

She's an original member of the Avengers, that's pretty Iconic! It's not like I'm against Asians. I'd rather an Asian Wasp than no Wasp but I think the character should please the larger audience. Fans of the cannon comics, the new cartoon, the 90's cartoon, and people who remeber reading the Avengers when they were younger will all want and expect a cannon Wasp and only the ultimate fans would want an asian Wasp.

I'd like Paula Patton for Wasp. Also, I agree that there are many more characters that could be used to give the team diversity. I don't think of Wasp as asian when I think of her.

To a certain point the character's race doesn't matter. I don't think the comics ever made Janet's race a major issue. They never explained her heritage, had her explain that he grandparents on her mother's side are from England and her grandparents on her father's side are from Russia, and she is white. She could be Asian without changing anything about her. Tony Stark could have been changed to a different race. Even though Daredevil is a red headed Irishman I would have been fine if Cuba Gooding Jr. played him liked he had wanted to. Kingpin was changed and it didn't matter. In many characters I don't see a problem with changing them. Ted Kord from DC comics could had been changed. So I don't see a major problem, as long as they don't change something major about their character.

What about Lauren Cohen as Wasp? Featured on Chuck, Walking Dead, Vampire Diaries. Variety of roles, seems versatile... and she is smokin hot.

Lauren%20Cohan%20The%20Walking%20Dead.jpg

Last edited:
I am sticking with my old casting choice of Amy Acker as Janet. Make it happen!

Christina Ricci or Amy Acker would be great for Wasp. :up:

I feel like Ricci is in the same boat as my Winona Ryder pick from a while back lol.. Maybe.. 4,5,6, even 7 years ago she would have been good, but now...not so sure.

Don't know anything about acker, but honestly, I don't like any of the pictures I've seen of her. To each his own though

The character is certainly iconic, but in terms of physical appearance she's just a generic beautiful brunette.

Hows that different from any other hero or heroine. Most heroes are a hunky guy with big muscles and what ever color hair and most heroines are hot babes with what ever color hair

To a certain point the character's race doesn't matter. I don't think the comics ever made Janet's race a major issue. They never explained her heritage, had her explain that he grandparents on her mother's side are from England and her grandparents on her father's side are from Russia, and she is white. She could be Asian without changing anything about her. Tony Stark could have been changed to a different race. Even though Daredevil is a red headed Irishman I would have been fine if Cuba Gooding Jr. played him liked he had wanted to. Kingpin was changed and it didn't matter. In many characters I don't see a problem with changing them. Ted Kord from DC comics could had been changed. So I don't see a major problem, as long as they don't change something major about their character.

A lot of that is arguable. They don't make a big deal out of any ones race very often but it's just apparent when some one is white or black or Asian. Lots of people didn't like Kingpin being black and had a lot to say about it but he wasn't the main character so ultimately it didn't effect the movies bottom line but if Cube had played daredevil it might have been different. Ask Halley Berry if it's easy to make a white character black when it's core audience has a preconceived notion of what a character is supposed to look like. Wasp is a minor character in the grand scheme of the avengers and it probably wouldn't make a huge difference but comic fans are notorious for their love of the source material so if you deviate from it so obviously they will be thinking you got it wrong before they even enter the theatre. The ones who don't like the movie will have a longer list to ***** about when they're spreading the word about the film. Why would any film maker or producer want that when it's so easy to avoid and there's no real reason not to?

A lot of that is arguable. They don't make a big deal out of any ones race very often but it's just apparent when some one is white or black or Asian. Lots of people didn't like Kingpin being black and had a lot to say about it but he wasn't the main character so ultimately it didn't effect the movies bottom line but if Cube had played daredevil it might have been different. Ask Halley Berry if it's easy to make a white character black when it's core audience has a preconceived notion of what a character is supposed to look like. Wasp is a minor character in the grand scheme of the avengers and it probably wouldn't make a huge difference but comic fans are notorious for their love of the source material so if you deviate from it so obviously they will be thinking you got it wrong before they even enter the theatre. The ones who don't like the movie will have a longer list to ***** about when they're spreading the word about the film. Why would any film maker or producer want that when it's so easy to avoid and there's no real reason not to?
Sometimes characters do have their heritage stated, like if they are Hispanic like the new Blue Beetle. You couldn't take him and make him suddenly asian because that heritage has been clearly stated.
I think Halley Berry had a hard time for more than just being African American playing a white character. I had no problem with that, it was the costume and the story, and everything else that was bad. It was like if they had gone through with the Green Lantern Jack Black film.
Cuba I think would have been great as Daredevil, it would have changed things true but he would have been good. But there would have still been all those other problems with the film. I had no problem with the Kingpin in the film, just that he wasn't as heavy as he is meant to look in the comics.
A characters race, when it isn't clearly stated could be altered and I wouldn't mind. But characters like Captain Britain or Banshee couldn't really because of who they are. Wolverine couldn't be changed from a Canadian to Australian.

I feel like Ricci is in the same boat as my Winona Ryder pick from a while back lol.. Maybe.. 4,5,6, even 7 years ago she would have been good, but now...not so sure.

Don't know anything about acker, but honestly, I don't like any of the pictures I've seen of her. To each his own though
Winona Ryder would be amazing if they can get her. Neither she nor Ricci are too old or don't have enough of a star power for the movie, nor would they be out of Marvel Studios' budget.

Also, you need to google Amy Acker in an image search. :o

Sometimes characters do have their heritage stated, like if they are Hispanic like the new Blue Beetle. You couldn't take him and make him suddenly asian because that heritage has been clearly stated.

True but in most cases you don't have to state their race to have it be known.

I think Halley Berry had a hard time for more than just being African American playing a white character. I had no problem with that, it was the costume and the story, and everything else that was bad.

True but they bombed on opening weekend before people knew if the story was bad or any other details. Granted the costume was in the ads but that is part of the look of the character along with being black.

A characters race, when it isn't clearly stated could be altered and I wouldn't mind. But characters like Captain Britain or Banshee couldn't really because of who they are. Wolverine couldn't be changed from a Canadian to Australian.

I think drawing a picture of a white girl for 40+ years pretty clearly staes her race and Van Dyne clearly isn't an asian name.

Oh and tell the producers of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends or that 80's X-men pilot that Wolverine can't be changed to Austrailian. They obviously didn't get the memo.

Seriously? How old is Ricci? 30 at the most? Someone better make sure she doesn't break a bone!

I think drawing a picture of a white girl for 40+ years pretty clearly staes her race and Van Dyne clearly isn't an asian name.

Oh and tell the producers of Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends or that 80's X-men pilot that Wolverine can't be changed to Austrailian. They obviously didn't get the memo.
Changing Janet's race might be a change, but not a big enough change that I feel it would really matter. I could even see Rosario Dawson as Wasp or something, at least I imagine her voice when I read Wasp. But Changing her race wouldn't change anything in the movie, its a role you could cast any actress in. Without considering her race.
As for Wolverine, that bugged me when they gave him an Australian accent. Sure there should be Australian characters, but he is Canadian. Its been clearly stated.
But Janet's race is sort of like Namor's. There is room for change. They could have Namor have a British accent, or be Asian. there is enough wiggle room for change without effecting the rest of the story, in my opinion.

I don't know who they should cast but I don't care about what her race is. I am hoping they cast her for the Ant Man movie soon. And then her and Ant Man are brought into the Avengers.
What I am more concerned about is how she will be portrayed in the movie. Will she be the rich socialite in the film like in the comics (who becomes a lab assistant and adventurer/superhero looking for fun) or should she be the spy like in the Ultimate?

I don't know who they should cast but I don't care about what her race is. I am hoping they cast her for the Ant Man movie soon. And then her and Ant Man are brought into the Avengers.
What I am more concerned about is how she will be portrayed in the movie. Will she be the rich socialite in the film like in the comics (who becomes a lab assistant and adventurer/superhero looking for fun) or should she be the spy like in the Ultimate?

I think the race thing is more of a distraction than a major problem and yet as a film maker myself I wouldn't wanna put something in a film if I new it was going to be a distraction. With that I've said all I care to say about the race thing and will just agree to disagree with anyone who doesn't see it the same way.

I definately prefer the cannon Wasp personality wise as well and it seems like they're using the cartoon to set up the movie in many ways so I think they would go that way if they use wasp in a sequel.

Hows that different from any other hero or heroine. Most heroes are a hunky guy with big muscles and what ever color hair and most heroines are hot babes with what ever color hair

Halle Berry wasn't the first black woman to play Catwoman. She took her cue from Eartha Kitt, who made the role famous in the 1960s. And the Catwoman movie failed epically not because of anything to do with race, but entirely to do with the complete abandonment of canon, in that Halle played Catwoman In Name Only, rather than as Selina Kyle. (That, and the script sucked.)

I don't recall one person ever beechin' about a gorgeous latina playing Sue Storm, who's arguably one of the most whitebread heroines in Marvel.

And I'm curious who the actress is in your avatar pick/pic for Janet....she looks like she's got a lot of latina or Filipino or something in her.

There were plenty complaints of a Latina Alba hired for Susan Storm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"