MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 5

I was thinking today how the Russo’s trajectory in the MCU is a parallel to Zach Snyder’s in the DCEU but with more favorable results.

Both were tasked with directing a character that had been labeled as a Boy Scout and not modern enough for our times.

Both were then tasked with directing a follow-up where heroes would fight one another while being manipulated by someone else.

Both were than tasked with directing a team-up movie that dealt with the fallout of their precious movie.

I’m not trying to be mean spirited toward Snyder but Marvel really was fortunate to have the Russo’s really stick the landing for their movies.

I was thinking today how the Russo’s trajectory in the MCU is a parallel to Zach Snyder’s in the DCEU but with more favorable results.

Both were tasked with directing a character that had been labeled as a Boy Scout and not modern enough for our times.

Both were then tasked with directing a follow-up where heroes would fight one another while being manipulated by someone else.

Both were than tasked with directing a team-up movie that dealt with the fallout of their precious movie.

I’m not trying to be mean spirited toward Snyder but Marvel really was fortunate to have the Russo’s really stick the landing for their movies.

I think the fundamental difference is pretty simple and stark: Snyder is, first and foremost, a cinematographer, a crafter of imagery. The Russos, by contrast? Are first and foremost storytellers, crafters of narrative. And when the rubber meets the road, narrative is more important than imagery.

The big difference here, which turned out to be vital, imo, is that the Russos were practically nobodies who won over Marvel because of their passion for the relevance of that "irrelevant" Boy Scout. Their understanding and love for the character got them the job. Snyder was the established director and go-to "comic book guy" of the WB stable who just couldn't say no to the "king daddy of superheroes," despite the fact that his self-professed favorite comic is one that eviscerated the relevance of said boy scout through satire.

2012: Russos chosen to direct TWS
2014: Russos to direct Cap 3 and TWS released
2015: Russos to direct Avengers 3 Part 1 & 2
2016: CW released

You know I was going to write this whole thing on about how the Russos were rewarded for their outputs but it seems that Feige/Marvel etc. were impressed enough prior to the releases of TWS, CW to give them the keys to IW & EG.

Whereas Snyder was given BvS, JL 1 & 2 after MOS and despite it's less than expected BO and mixed reviews.

More like their results were almost in polar reversal.

2012: Russos chosen to direct TWS
2014: Russos to direct Cap 3 and TWS released
2015: Russos to direct Avengers 3 Part 1 & 2
2016: CW released

You know I was going to write this whole thing on about how the Russos were rewarded for their outputs but it seems that Feige/Marvel etc. were impressed enough prior to the releases of TWS, CW to give them the keys to IW & EG.

Whereas Snyder was given BvS, JL 1 & 2 after MOS and despite it's less than expected BO and mixed reviews.

In a recent interview, Feige said they approached the Russos to direct IW and EG during the filming of CW. I wouldn't rule out that RDJ probably had some approval.

I think the fundamental difference is pretty simple and stark: Snyder is, first and foremost, a cinematographer, a crafter of imagery. The Russos, by contrast? Are first and foremost storytellers, crafters of narrative. And when the rubber meets the road, narrative is more important than imagery.
I think one other major difference is that the russos love superheroes and have professed many times their love for secret wars, wolverine, spider-man etc.

Snyder by his own admission couldn't get into mainstream comics because they didnt didn enough sex and violence. His favorite graphic novels were the Heavy Metal series which were adult oriented.

Snyder hates the idea of conventional heroism. His ideal version of a hero is a cynic, nihilistic murderer like Rorschach. Its not coincidence he tried to turn Batman into exactly that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"