MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 5

If Tom Hardy walks out on stage during Hall H at comic con in character and says "we are venom" and they announce hes joining the MCU I would geek out a little bit.

Interesting. I haven't liked the idea of the Sony Venom from the start, and I thought the movie was pretty bad.

With that said, I think I would be interested in seeing Tom Holland's Spidey go up against him.

... and with that said, I think it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening. :funny:

Interesting. I haven't liked the idea of the Sony Venom from the start, and I thought the movie was pretty bad.

With that said, I think I would be interested in seeing Tom Holland's Spidey go up against him.

... and with that said, I think it has a snowball's chance in hell of happening. :funny:

Even in the highly unlikely event of Sony's Venom crossing over to the MCU, If it did happen I'd rather see Mac Gargan as the Dark Avengers Venom first and THEN have Eddie Brock come back and take on the Agent Venom role that Sony's Flash Thompson is completely unsuited to.

If there’s a crossover, I’d hope it sticks to the comics so a kid like Holland can be the bane (heh) of Hardy’s Eddie Brock’s existence.

That is information we already knew.

least we have a precedent now for actors coming back as the same character they've played before in an unconnected movie (JK Simmons playing JJ Jameson in Far From Home as he did in Raimi's trilogy).

No reason they couldn't bring back popular actors from the Netflix series in future even if the series are eventually disregarded as part of the overall MCU.

If they only keep one actor from the Netflix shows let it be Jon Bernthal's Punisher,
If they only change one let it be Elodie Yung's Elektra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise that wasn't common knowledge. Wasn't a plot detail and I've not seen it treated as a spoiler anywhere else on the internet I've seen it discussed.
I didn't think it was considered a spoiler or I'd have tagged it. Sorry.

Only takes one person to tell me though ;)

Sony would be stupid to not renew their contract with Marvel and keep Spider-man in the MCU. But I’m sure they want to bring Holland into their Venom-verse which Feige can’t be happy about. It’s like he did all this work to get the character top tier again and now it could all go to crap if Sony isn’t careful.

Could they bring Holland, specifically, into a Sony Spidey based universe? Is that in his contract in some way?

We don't know is the honest answer.

Correct, but Feige did say in an interview recently that the Spider-man/Venom crossover is in the hands of Sony, which implies they in theory could.

But like Ian says, just because you could, doesn't mean you should.

Has Marvel Studios Hall H presentation at SDCC been scheduled yet? I heard it'll be Saturday night, but can't find a confirmation on that.

Sony would be stupid to not renew their contract with Marvel and keep Spider-man in the MCU. But I’m sure they want to bring Holland into their Venom-verse which Feige can’t be happy about. It’s like he did all this work to get the character top tier again and now it could all go to crap if Sony isn’t careful.

It's not just up to Sony though. Let's say FFH does 1.2B and Sony runs to Disney to renew the deal. I think Disney would - at the very least - want to remove the fee they have to pay Sony for every movie. That got changed in 2015 (and they pay less of a fee when the movie grosses over 750MM worldwide). I would think they would want to remove that altogether and go back to Sony paying them a licensing fee for every movie. Another thing they would definitely want to change, if they didn't in 2015, is the rights to transfer. That would mean the rights would not be transferable. They could also ask for other things such as rights to certain characters, rights to live action TV, contract is null and void if SPE gets owned by anyone but Sony Corporation, etc

A renewal is possible, but it's not as simple as Sony execs saying, "hey we want it! Let's do it". Let us not forget Marvel just got the rights to the FF and X-Men back. X-Men were more popular than Spider-man in the 90s and FF was the most popular one in the 70s. Their sandbox doubled overnight. If the MCU can get Spider-man to their first billion I can only hope they can get X-Men to their first one. And FF too.

We don't know is the honest answer.

Correct. The contract is not publicly available. We can all make guesses, but that's just what they are, guesses.

Is there any clarity to how Disney’s buyout of FOX affects the X-Men and F4 reboots? Obviously they will be released through Disney, but will they be contractually obligated to release it through the Fox label, since the rights didn’t expire prior to that?

I’m curious how that will work. I don’t think it will affect box office earnings as long as the Marvel Studios logo is above the films’ titles.

Is there any clarity to how Disney’s buyout of FOX affects the X-Men and F4 reboots? Obviously they will be released through Disney, but will they be contractually obligated to release it through the Fox label, since the rights didn’t expire prior to that?.
No. They aren’t contractually obligated to release the MCU FF and Mutant films through the Fox label at all since the contractual agreements that had Fox have ownership over the film rights were effectively nullified as soon as the deal closed. The reason they released Dark Phoenix under the Fox banner is simply due to the fact that it was a movie that was made by Fox prior to the merger being closed, and it was one of the movies that Disney inherited from Fox that they were willing to release from Fox. If New Mutants ever gets a theatrical release, and keeps its April 2020 release date(which I find to be highly unlikely) then it will also be released under the Fox banner, and that will be the last X-Men related film(barring DP of course) that will be released under that banner.

Disney/Marvel now has full ownership of those properties. Now Deadpool may be a different story since even though Marvel does have the rights the DP will likely remain R even under the Disney era, and I would imagine Deadpool being released under the Fox banner based on whats been said before.

Here’s what Iger said in a investors call about Deadpool’s future with Disney being a R-rated property. in 2017 shortly after the deal was officially announced.
"As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine,"

Because of this quote, along with the fact that at Cinema Con Alan Horn basically announced DP as part of Fox’s future slate of films to released then I suspect Deadpool will be released under the Fox banner as a means of differentiation from the PG-13 Marvel Studios films. Now Marvel definitely has the DP rights now and it seems Feige is more than okay leaving Wade Wilson the raunchy, foul-mouthed, way he is now.

But any future Marvel Studios FF and X-Men productions will be solely released under the traditional Marvel/Disney banner. Now if Fox was never bought and managed to strike a Sony type deal to collaborate with Marvel Studios to reboot the FF and X-Men into the MCU like Sony did for Spider-Man then yes the Fox banner would absolutely be there. Case in point: They still release the MCU Spider-Man films under the Sony banner in addition to the classic Marvel Studios banner because Sony still owns the rights those movies even though they are produced by Marvel Studios are still ultimately Sony films.

I thought so, but I didn’t know whether Fox included a clause mandating that or not when the buyout was finalized.

The bumblebee director is a potentially great choice. Serkis is a left field one tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"