Casting Thread for WATCHMEN (Suggestions and Announcements!!!)

T

10m.jpg

2354644801.jpg

Happy Harry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_McGill

Inspired choice for Happy Harry, Noir. I really can't see anyone else doing it now.

Except for Peter Stormare. In any role, really. I want to see the dude in this movie.

img.db

I heard he's very good in his latest movie "Once".

I don't believe any of the BS surrounding this fawk-tard's participation in Watchmen.

UPDATE:
I can't account for the anger in this post. I mean, he has nothing to do with the movie; I am not familiar with his music; I have never seen his films. When will Snyder give us a still of the Comedian before our psyches implode?

Surely you don't mean that.

And if you did, you could easily argue that it is also a pro Al Queda movie. A small force, defending their customs and ideals, taking on an impossible military giant. Willing to die to protect their society and all.

Sure.

The "freedom" bore repeated all over it is not American; the soldier-hero stuff is not American; the Persians portrayed as both evil and perverts is not convienient enough to the present administration; gods and paganism presented as freak "superstition" and "corruption" is not a Christian habit.

Etc and etc.

When a movie like that is made in a war situation, produced and offered for American cinemas, the label these so-very-innocent images ask for is just "propaganda". Gorgo's speech IS propaganda in each syllable.

Al Qaeda. Gimme a break. :oldrazz: Their idea of propaganda is a tape in which a bearded chap with an old Russian rifle by his side, surrounded by a cave, speaks non-stop.

Snyder is a very good filmmaker, but he's done solid propaganda.

I just saw Sean Penn in an episode of ''Two and a Half Men'' and I realized he would have been ****ing awesome as the Comedian.

When a movie like that is made in a war situation, produced and offered for American cinemas, the label these so-very-innocent images ask for is just "propaganda". Gorgo's speech IS propaganda in each syllable.

Al Qaeda. Gimme a break. :oldrazz: Their idea of propaganda is a tape in which a bearded chap with an old Russian rifle by his side, surrounded by a cave, speaks non-stop.

Yes, this film is a propaganda movie, it was made to be one. The story was distorted into one.

But it was not an American propaganda piece, it was a Spartan Nation Propaganda piece - nothing more, nothing less.

To try to paint it in the colors of Red White and Blue is ridiculous.

I just saw Sean Penn in an episode of ''Two and a Half Men'' and I realized he would have been ****ing awesome as the Comedian.

Hmmm... Anyone other than you citing a Charlie Sheen sitcom as evidence that Sean Penn (Waahh?) might make a good Comedian would have warranted instant derision. But I'm interested.... Has Penn ever beefed-up for a role? Because if he got massive, I have no doubt that he could play a cigar-chomping, omni-homicidal, rapist misanthrope.

Enough of these fantasies... I'm sure that dude from Grey's Anatomy will be fine. Sarcasm aside, as anyone actually seen this dude act? Is he any good? When I youtubed him, all I got was these montages of him looking dreamy with like a Celine Dion soundtrack. And after I *********ed, I was too tuckered out to look any further.

Hmmm... Anyone other than you citing a Charlie Sheen sitcom as evidence that Sean Penn (Waahh?) might make a good Comedian would have warranted instant derision. But I'm interested....

Well, he was smoking a big cigar and his hair looked very Comedian-esque, he just reminded me of the Comedian very much.

Sean Penn is a rather large *******.

He could probably play a rather large ******* quite well.

Yes, this film is a propaganda movie, it was made to be one. The story was distorted into one.

But it was not an American propaganda piece, it was a Spartan Nation Propaganda piece - nothing more, nothing less.

To try to paint it in the colors of Red White and Blue is ridiculous.

"Spartan Nation Propaganda" is something no Spartan of that time would understand. He'd ask: what is "Nation", what is "Propaganda"?

See, this is a sign that many people watching the movie bought that as "Spartan". If you read Herodotus on that, things are quite different. The USA patriotic overtone vanishes.

It is part of Miller's graphic novel, of course, and it was reinforced in the movie version. Guess why.

Not ridiculous at all. Why is it so obvious when Alan Moore puts it in Watchmen, and, even so, after 20 years, readers of that graphic novel can't spot the same scheme he was calling our attention for happening again?

It bugs me. :ninja:

What happened to Carla Gugino? She's not on the imdb cast list anymore!

"Spartan Nation Propaganda" is something no Spartan of that time would understand. He'd ask: what is "Nation", what is "Propaganda"?

While they may not understand the words, they understand the concepts. The Spartan people were united, like a "Nation". And the idea of "Propaganda" date back far - earlier (and including) the Greeks.

See, this is a sign that many people watching the movie bought that as "Spartan". If you read Herodotus on that, things are quite different. The USA patriotic overtone vanishes.

The USA patriotic overtones are, again, no (or less) valid than the pro-Al Queda overtones. Or the overtones of any people fighting to preserve a way of life.

It is part of Miller's graphic novel, of course, and it was reinforced in the movie version. Guess why.

Again, to argue that the fight for freedom is an exclusive American virtue is a bit arrogant. Sure, you can easily make the case that it mirrors, say the American Revolution. However George Washington would be seen not unlike any terrorist leader we face today - back in Eighteenth Century England. These qualities that we can see in the Spartan battle are ones we can see in many civilizations, many wars, its not American propaganda.

While they may not understand the words, they understand the concepts. The Spartan people were united, like a "Nation". And the idea of "Propaganda" date back far - earlier (and including) the Greeks.

The USA patriotic overtones are, again, no (or less) valid than the pro-Al Queda overtones. Or the overtones of any people fighting to preserve a way of life.

Again, to argue that the fight for freedom is an exclusive American virtue is a bit arrogant. Sure, you can easily make the case that it mirrors, say the American Revolution. However George Washington would be seen not unlike any terrorist leader we face today - back in Eighteenth Century England. These qualities that we can see in the Spartan battle are ones we can see in many civilizations, many wars, its not American propaganda.

a) A nation is a concept they wouldn't grasp. Totally different way of conceiving it. Same with propaganda. They had people to sing the deeds, but no brainwash. That's quite recent.

b) "Pro Al-Qaeda"? THAT is a joke. :hyper:

c) Where did you find it? I haven't said the American people fight for freedom, it happened in 1781, and that's all.

Wars since then are all because of other kind of interests. And "freedom", since then has got many other meanings. The present administration, for instance, makes it a synonym for "oil".

Spartan battles (or any other for that matter) are not American propaganda, you got that right; 300, the movie, surely was.

Get a transcript of Gorgo's speech and read it attentively; consider the "speech" against Persians through images. "Family values" among Spartans? And none among Persians?

There you are: propaganda.

Or did you root for Persians during the show? Did you?:cwink:

Sure.

The "freedom" bore repeated all over it is not American; the soldier-hero stuff is not American; the Persians portrayed as both evil and perverts is not convienient enough to the present administration; gods and paganism presented as freak "superstition" and "corruption" is not a Christian habit.

Etc and etc.

No actually Al Qaeda's idea of propaganda is lopping off people's heads and filming it for distribution on the web and international television, but don't let a little reality get in the way of your goofy agenda.

a) A nation is a concept they wouldn't grasp. Totally different way of conceiving it. Same with propaganda. They had people to sing the deeds, but no brainwash. That's quite recent.

They would tell stories that promoted Spartan pride during times of battle - that is propaganda.

b) "Pro Al-Qaeda"? THAT is a joke. :hyper:

Not at all. As I said - the Spartans can easily represent a small fighting force willing to die for their way of life against a large, dominating army whose culture is odd, disturbing and mystic to them.

That is Al Queda.

c) Where did you find it? I haven't said the American people fight for freedom, it happened in 1781, and that's all.

Technically the Civil War was also fought in the name of freedom, as was World War II for the most part. Several other wars have been fought to spread freedom like the fist Gulf War.

Wars since then are all because of other kind of interests. And "freedom", since then has got many other meanings. The present administration, for instance, makes it a synonym for "oil".

LOL, funny. Of all the things this war was fought for - not all probably for the greater good of the country - oil is not one of them.

Spartan battles (or any other for that matter) are not American propaganda, you got that right; 300, the movie, surely was.

It only surely is because you are too arrogant to see outside what you want to see. There is nothing in that movie that serves as American propaganda any more than it serves to promote - again - Al Quedas cause.

Now I am not calling it a movie made with the intention of promoting Al Queda. Just as I am saying it is not a movie to be used as American Propaganda. Zach Snyder has stated he had no political motive while making this movie, and thats certainly believable.

Get a transcript of Gorgo's speech and read it attentively; consider the "speech" against Persians through images. "Family values" among Spartans? And none among Persians?

There you are: propaganda.

Or did you root for Persians during the show? Did you?:cwink:

Gorgo's speech WAS propaganda - but for the Spartan cause, not the American cause.

No actually Al Qaeda's idea of propaganda is lopping off people's heads and filming it for distribution on the web and international television, but don't let a little reality get in the way of your goofy agenda.

:woot: Oh boy, "goofy agenda" is an excellent expression.

BTW, have you ever heard of Abu Ghraib prison? Torture? Does it ring a bell?

Yeah. Shake off your slumber, wake up.

They would tell stories that promoted Spartan pride during times of battle - that is propaganda.

Not at all. As I said - the Spartans can easily represent a small fighting force willing to die for their way of life against a large, dominating army whose culture is odd, disturbing and mystic to them.

That is Al Queda.

Technically the Civil War was also fought in the name of freedom, as was World War II for the most part. Several other wars have been fought to spread freedom like the fist Gulf War.

LOL, funny. Of all the things this war was fought for - not all probably for the greater good of the country - oil is not one of them.

It only surely is because you are too arrogant to see outside what you want to see. There is nothing in that movie that serves as American propaganda any more than it serves to promote - again - Al Quedas cause.

Now I am not calling it a movie made with the intention of promoting Al Queda. Just as I am saying it is not a movie to be used as American Propaganda. Zach Snyder has stated he had no political motive while making this movie, and thats certainly believable.

Gorgo's speech WAS propaganda - but for the Spartan cause, not the American cause.

As you are avoiding my questions, let's try another approach, shall we?

One doesn't need to make direct references in order to make propaganda.

If we change the names of two armies but we keep the speech that is their trademarks for those who we are trying to get with our propaganda, it is still propaganda.

They don't need to say "USA" and "Axis of Evil". Gorgo doesn't need to be named "Jane", or "Katherine", or whatever.

More: a "Spartan cause" has never existed. Here there's some need of reading History books. Spartan people never had that "family speech" as shown in the movie. And etc.

You say I'm arrogant. Possibly. But I'm really amazed, arrogant or not, with such gullibility and naïveté in a Watchmen board (for I suppose everybody here has read the book).

That's a bit frightening, I'd say. :wow:

A movie based on a work by Mad Frankie Miller during which he hung out 'round the set and had full access to Snyder's ear, no doubt? The forthcoming Holy Terror, Batman! ?

Propaganda was always going to be a no-brainer, really.

I'm not even going to touch this argument since the same people were trying to make similar claims with Return of the King. 300 just made it easier for them.

As you are avoiding my questions, let's try another approach, shall we?

One doesn't need to make direct references in order to make propaganda.

If we change the names of two armies but we keep the speech that is their trademarks for those who we are trying to get with our propaganda, it is still propaganda.

They don't need to say "USA" and "Axis of Evil". Gorgo doesn't need to be named "Jane", or "Katherine", or whatever.

More: a "Spartan cause" has never existed. Here there's some need of reading History books. Spartan people never had that "family speech" as shown in the movie. And etc.

You say I'm arrogant. Possibly. But I'm really amazed, arrogant or not, with such gullibility and naïveté in a Watchmen board (for I suppose everybody here has read the book).

That's a bit frightening, I'd say. :wow:

And I am amazed that someone with your apparent lack of comprehension is a fan of Watchmen.

Your inability to recognize the similarities between the plight of the Spartans and that of a group, like Al Queda, is outstanding.

Though, in regards to your actual post, I would like to ask: what questions did you ask?

Also, you say a "Spartan cause" never existed? So apparently the battle against the Persians never happened - or apparently the Spartans never united on any issue. Now who is the one with a poor sense of history.

Don't come onto this board, find someone that differs with your rather narrow opinion and then personally insult them. Especially when its me, because I will not only argue you, I will expose your mental ineptitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"