Casting Thread for WATCHMEN (Suggestions and Announcements!!!)

I've always liked LaPaglia as an actor, but I just don't see him as Nite owl. Sure, he can play gentle, but not as gentle as Dreiberg. LaPaglia is better as disgruntled cops or hard core mob guys.

Rorshach: "Angel Face" from Fight Club (also the lead character in Requiem for a Dream). They'd need to do some work on him to make him look older, but if it's convincing he can definitely pull it off. If not him then they should get Edward Norton

lowercasegods said:
Dr. Manhattan: Ralph Fiennes (The English Patient)
The Comedian: Ian McShane (Deadwood)
Silk Spectre: Rachel Weisz (The Mummy)
Rorschach: Simon Pegg (Shawn of the Dead)
Ozymandias: Jude Law (Road to Perdition)
Nite Owl: Jeff Bridges (The Fisher King)

Apart from Fiennes, I like your casting.
But Jeff Bridges, who was my top choice as NiteOwl back in 1990, he's now ten years too old.

ThorneFox said:
Rorshach: "Angel Face" from Fight Club (also the lead character in Requiem for a Dream). They'd need to do some work on him to make him look older, but if it's convincing he can definitely pull it off. If not him then they should get Edward Norton

You mean Jared Leto

Rorschach: Simon Pegg
Nite-Owl: John Cusack
Dr. Manhattan: Billy Zane
Silver Spectre: Amanda Peet
Comedian: Dennis Farina
Ozyamandias: Cary Elwes

Threshold said:
:up:

I just saw Get Shorty last night and the scene between Farina and Gene Hackman cemented the fact that he has to be The Comedian.

Threshold said:
I just saw Get Shorty last night and the scene between Farina and Gene Hackman cemented the fact that he has to be The Comedian.
And who will be the younger Comedian? Isn'it easier to choose a young actor and then age him with make-up?

They can ask the Governor if he would put on a mustache and do the cameo.

Threshold said:
I gotta say, even though I have my own ideas for who should be cast in Watchmen, I really like your suggestions. They feel pretty insightful, like you're an actual fan, not just someone who thinks Jack Nicholson can play anyone in a comic book movie because he's Jack Nicholson. Your list seems feasable, and I think it would be a really great cast to see pull the characters off.

Antonello Blueberry said:
And who will be the younger Comedian? Isn'it easier to choose a young actor and then age him with make-up?

That's saying that they'll be doing flashbacks.

How would you guys feel if they cast Paul Newman as the senior Nite Owl? Maybe he's a little too obvious a choice, but I know I wouldn't mind it.

Are you kidding me? Paul Newman is one of the worlds greatest actors. Keep him in the business as long as possible. He'd be a great Nite-Owl I, and you can definitley see him as a former hero.

I agree Newman is a great actor...but the last time I saw him his speech was almost out the window and he is getting really old.

lowercasegods said:
How would you guys feel if they cast Paul Newman as the senior Nite Owl? Maybe he's a little too obvious a choice, but I know I wouldn't mind it.
That's who I was thinking, or somebody on the lines of him. He would lend some class to the project.

RedIsNotBlue said:
I agree Newman is a great actor...but the last time I saw him his speech was almost out the window and he is getting really old.
What are you talking about? He's fine, didn't you see Road to Perdition? Hell, he survived a race car crash unharmed a couple months back.

Yeah he was great in Road to Perdition. I just think I remember seeing him on tv recently and his speech was kinda weird. I dunno.

Back around 1989 when I was first dream casting this movie, I thought Harry Morgan from MASH would've been a good senior Nite Owl. Looking back now, though, I don't know what the hell I was thinking.
Who'd you guys like to see play Moloch? I think Joel Grey would be a really great choice, because he's a great actor, he's about the right age, and he has that somewhat creepy, elf-like appearance that Moloch has.

Threshold said:
Are you kidding me? Paul Newman is one of the worlds greatest actors. Keep him in the business as long as possible. He'd be a great Nite-Owl I, and you can definitley see him as a former hero.

Well I just heard Newman announce it. This will be his last year in the movie business.

He says he think it will be, but the cardinal rule of the movie business is never say never.

The question that is going thru my mind since I found out that the story is going to be set in the present day and not in the '80.
What are the chances that in the Watchmen’s version of NY City, 9/11 didn’t happen?
I mean, USA won the war in Vietnam because of Dr. M. The world is different place there.
Stopping the plane hitting the building would be a piece of cake for Blue God, if it would even happen at all.
Are they going to have enough balls to show WTC standing?
If they do, that would give enormous plus in showing the state of things in the crazy world of Watchmen.
Maybe it is to risky card to play, but W. movie has to be shocking or they will miss the point.

ABVH said:
The question that is going thru my mind since I found out that the story is going to be set in the present day and not in the '80.
What are the chances that in the Watchmen’s version of NY City, 9/11 didn’t happen?
I mean, USA won the war in Vietnam because of Dr. M. The world is different place there.
Stopping the plane hitting the building would be a piece of cake for Blue God, if it would even happen at all.
Are they going to have enough balls to show WTC standing?
If they do, that would give enormous plus in showing the state of things in the crazy world of Watchmen.
Maybe it is to risky card to play, but W. movie has to be shocking or they will miss the point.
I wholeheartedly agree with everything you just said. It would take some 'nads, but it would definitely be worth it. It would almost be like the equivalent of how, in the comics, America was clearly beating the Soviets in the Cold War.
9/11 could be the Vietnam of the movie, though Dr. Manhattan would still have stopped Vietnam too.
It wouldn't have to be mentioned at all, all you need is a shot of
the New York skyline, complete with the WTC.

I think it'd be very interesting if nuclear proliferation is what America is afraid of, instead of a Cold War-type scenario with China, like what we seem to be getting. If you're going to make changes so it fits with current times, you should go all out.

EDIT:
I've changed my mind about Doc stopping Vietnam. That should go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"