CBM First Time ?

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
What CBM was your first film that got you 'into the genre', the first one you saw that introduced you into all that goes with it these days. The build up, the trailers, the actual release.

Batman Returns in the summer of 1992. Then BTAS came out shortly afterward. My Batman fandom was sealed.

The Batman '66 spin-off. Saw it on TV as a child. I was already a fan of the TV series. Been a comic book fan (especially DC, and especially Batman) ever since. Never wavered.

Batman '89. Watched it with my parents on TV when I was around five years old. Instantly captured my imagination and made me fall in love with the Batman universe.

Even though I had grown up with the Keaton Batman films, I was too young to see them in theaters so the first time I saw those was on TV. I also for whatever reason didn't see Batman Forever and Batman and Robin in theaters either. Though I was (and still am) a fan of them, there was no hype around them for me.

X-Men was probably the first taste of really getting into the genre. I wasn't overly anticipating it in advance compared to something like The Phantom Menace, but I was excited since I was a fan of the '90s cartoon. I was into it enough that I had the action figures and a few of the tie-in comics that were released with it.

But Spider-Man? That was the big one that got me really into not only superhero films, but also my love of comics in general. I remember seeing the very first teaser with the World Trade Center and being hyped about it. It more than lived up to it. Just like with X-Men, I also picked up a good deal of merchandise from it too.

Superman the movie, 1978. Difficult to describe the experience to anyone who didn't see it back then - other than to say that coming out of the cinema I felt like I could fly. Been a Superman fan since then.

I liked the 60s Batman show, but Superman was next level.

I see the question in two lights.

The first one I saw in general was Superman (1978) and I watched all the Reeve films as a kid and really liked them (even the bad ones). I saw them at home well after most of their releases though.

The one that introduced me to the idea that superheroes could actually be its own genre was X-Men (2000) though, which I did see in the theater. It showed that we could both have a variety of real super powers on screen, as well as make a really good story out of characters that aren't already huge with the general audience.

This might seem like an odd one, but the first Thor movie from 2011 was actually the first CBM I watched and properly, really enjoyed. I'd seen others before (but mostly only in bits and pieces and never the whole way through) but Thor really resonated with me and it's still one of my favourite MCU solo films. And (imo) one of the most underrated CBMs of all time.

Batman Returns and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990.

Watched those VHS tapes so much as a kid I’m surprised they weren’t worn out.

Mine would be Superman the Movie in 1978 at the cinema with my Dad.

Superman: The Movie was the first I saw on VHS but I'm not old enough for the theatrical release. The first I remember when it was new was Supergirl. That one didn't inspire to me watch more superhero films.

When I was growing superhero stuff was more of a television thing with reruns of shows like Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, and Adam West's Batman. The last one especially I was a big fan of. Filmwise, the real gigantic one was the first Tim Burton Batman.

I lost my virginity to TDK.

And no, I don't mean while the movie was playing in the background.

What CBM was your first film that got you 'into the genre', the first one you saw that introduced you into all that goes with it these days. The build up, the trailers, the actual release.

Batman '89. I didn't like comic book movies or TV shows prior to that specifically because I had been reading comics for a decade or more at that point. Adaptations always looked cheesy and scaled-down compared to the printed stories. Batman '89 was the first real attempt to completely immerse the art, and by extension, the audience, in the source material. Even with all of its flaws, Batman '89 has a special place in my heart.

Theaters it was probably X-Men. On TV it was Batman Forever.

Batman in 1989 was mindblowing, and then seeing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles actually brought to life in 1990 was incredible.

This might seem like an odd one, but the first Thor movie from 2011 was actually the first CBM I watched and properly, really enjoyed. I'd seen others before (but mostly only in bits and pieces and never the whole way through) but Thor really resonated with me and it's still one of my favourite MCU solo films. And (imo) one of the most underrated CBMs of all time.
Underrated.and STILL my favourite Thor film.

Batman 89. I was 11 and its all I can think about that logo then the first images of Nicholson I had to steal the magazines cause my hard-core Christian mother would not buy that "demonic" nonsense her words not mines lol

Superman (1978) got me into superheroes. But I think Batman (1989) was what really got me into comics.

I know the first one I saw in my life was Superman: The Movie. But that was well after release. Most older CBMs I saw on home video or TV. Until Batman Forever. That was first one I can remember seeing in the theater. As a kid, I liked the movie. I don't have that same opinion many years later, but that would be the one I followed the trailers and release of. I started actively following most of them after that one.

I didn’t go to the theater much as a kid. But I remember reading the Sunday paper for the television guide to see if Batman 66 was going to be shown on tv anytime that week. If I would’ve had a vcr, I would have taped it and worn it out.

I also remember watching Superman the Movie on television and thinking that it was one of the most epic things I’d ever seen.

For theaters, nothing beat Batman 89 in theaters. I was a young teen at that time and it was perfect timing.

For me it was Batman 1989 as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1990. I was born in 1985. So after watching these films I wanted to see more, thats when I was introduced to Christopher Reeve's Superman films as well.

Both of those films is what grabbed me and brought my attention to comics as I know Batman was a Comic Book but had no idea that The Ninja Turtles were because I only know them from the Cartoon being from such a young age.

I also think because of these two films is why I enjoy a more serious or should I say darker tone. Granted, both film had humor as they should, but set the tone more my fandom.

I saw and enjoyed a few films and cartoons as a kid, but I would credit 'X-Men 2' for turning me into this particular type of nerd. I went with a friend at 13, having not seen the first one even and that film blew my tiny mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"