CGI He-Man & The Masters of The Universe Animated Series in the works at Netflix

This looks seriously dated and bad.

But I'll try to watch.

I wouldn't call it dated. It is clearly cheap cg animation, ala the Dreamworks TV production stuff. And it is clearly geared toward a younger audience.

I am curious as to how it will play out. We haven't really gotten a futuristic setting in He-man that often, and most like to forget the New Adventures of He-man. And I think the transforming heroes and villains, beyond just the cynical toyetic appeal, is a neat new feature. Sort of adding an element of Ronin Warriors to the mix.

This looks seriously dated and bad.

But I'll try to watch.
Based on the trailer I saw it seems like another painful attempt to take a loved IP and make it modern. It just seems to be a random animation with MOTU slapped on it for attention.

It's the type of stuff I absolutely loathe to see and I say that as someone who was engaged by and enjoyed Revelation.

The more I see, the more I'm going to watch the first episode like I watch a burning wreck on the road.
Horrified but can't take my eyes off it.

Based on the trailer I saw it seems like another painful attempt to take a loved IP and make it modern. It just seems to be a random animation with MOTU slapped on it for attention.

It's the type of stuff I absolutely loathe to see and I say that as someone who was engaged by and enjoyed Revelation.

Yeah, how dare they. That kind of thing NEVER works.

All I know, as a kid, I would have loved the transforming Masters, good and bad. Its why the green ranger hooked me. Ronin Warriors and King Arthur and the Knights of Justice captured my interest just as well. Re interpretation of a property is not necessarily bad.

Beast Wars was a continuation of the Transformers history and brand new characters. Not the best example.

Beast Wars was a continuation of the Transformers history and brand new characters. Not the best example.

Well to be fair, fans didn't understand that at first. It didn't become clear that the show was a continuation of the pre-established lore and mythology of G1 until later on in the first season. Also, fans rejected the show and concept at first.

The whole "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY" thing was born from fans hating on Beast Wars and the idea that the Optimus Prime character was a gorilla. That came from the Transformers fandom.

Point being, older fans rejected Beast Wars at first.

I wouldn't call it dated. It is clearly cheap cg animation, ala the Dreamworks TV production stuff. And it is clearly geared toward a younger audience.

I am curious as to how it will play out. We haven't really gotten a futuristic setting in He-man that often, and most like to forget the New Adventures of He-man. And I think the transforming heroes and villains, beyond just the cynical toyetic appeal, is a neat new feature. Sort of adding an element of Ronin Warriors to the mix.

My main issue is they went far too exaggerated and cartoonish for the designs. I hate the giant upper bodies and twig like legs.

Also the setting looks too far on the side of sci-fi fantasy rather than a good mix of sci-fi and fantasy. Basically like New Adventures.

Well to be fair, fans didn't understand that at first. It didn't become clear that the show was a continuation of the pre-established lore and mythology of G1 until later on in the first season. Also, fans rejected the show and concept at first.

The whole "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY" thing was born from fans hating on Beast Wars and the idea that the Optimus Prime character was a gorilla. That came from the Transformers fandom.

Point being, older fans rejected Beast Wars at first.

And it was still new characters from the start. But this is clearly not meant to be new characters or a sequel

My main issue is they went far too exaggerated and cartoonish for the designs. I hate the giant upper bodies and twig like legs.

Also the setting looks too far on the side of sci-fi fantasy rather than a good mix of sci-fi and fantasy. Basically like New Adventures.

Well, I'll never like the art. :funny:

The art style does take some getting used to.

Ram Ma'am is still making my chuckle.

I'm going to watch this show. The art style might grow on me. While I don't love the art style for Clone Wars/Rebels/Bad Batch, I tolerate and there are some aspects of those shows I do like in terms of the art.

I think Yuri as Adam/He-Man is inspired casting. Even better than Chris Wood.

Definitely reinforces a lot of my views about it being cheap animation. Going to have to keep expectations in check of seeing other Masters characters. I would love to see more characters get redesigned like these.

I do like what Yuri Lowenthal and Kimberly Brooks are doing with the characters.

The opening is the first time I noticed that Skeletor's left forearm is skeletal. Neat design choice.

I know he's He-Man but did they have to make him look bigger than Mr. Incredible? He looks like Ultimate Warrior's even more roided up and HGH'ed dad.

Maybe the theme song will grow on me, but I guess credit for at least attempting to give the show a theme song?

Definitely reinforces a lot of my views about it being cheap animation. Going to have to keep expectations in check of seeing other Masters characters. I would love to see more characters get redesigned like these.

I do like what Yuri Lowenthal and Kimberly Brooks are doing with the characters.

The opening is the first time I noticed that Skeletor's left forearm is skeletal. Neat design choice.

I will say in this show's defense, I've seen far worse CG animation from Netflix shows. At least it doesn't look choppy like Dragon Prince.

I prefer the animation if it looks like say Powerhouse's Revelation, but such shows are a rarity these days.

I wouldn't say it looks "cheap" per se. It looks on par with most CG animated series these days. For example, here's the last CG Nickelodeon TMNT series:

This was the continuation of the Kung Fu Panda animated series:

Dragons: Race to the Edge:

Netflix's Altered Carbon anime:

Netflix's Ultraman:

Now you want to talk about cheap. The animation for Netflix Ultraman CGI looks cheap.

Even Castlevania, while I think it had great art, backgrounds and designs would have many scenes from time to time where it looked like the animation was lacking additional key frames and it seemed like the animation team was cutting corners and saving their budget for the bigger fights.

He-Mans head is REALLY tiny compared to his body.

Yeah that's part of the artwork I dislike. Even Incredibles which did exaggerated features and proportions didn't go THAT big for Mr. Incredible:

de0qm86-14591b9e-6ec8-4b58-92db-76933477d94a.png

Anyone think this new CGI He-Man may have taken place in the same continuity as the recent She-Ra series?

Anyone think this new CGI He-Man may have taken place in the same continuity as the recent She-Ra series?

The tone and style does seem to hue closer to Princesses of Power, but I guess we'll see. It does seem like the brands are being kept separate for now in terms of adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"