Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith

Umm...maybe we should get back on topic.

So Marvel really loves their British villains don't they?

Tom Hiddleston
Christopher Eccleston
Ben Kingsley

British villains are awesome villains. :D

After all most of the Galactic Empire was British :).

If someone told me to spit on the ground and I pulled down my pants and took a dump and said "Its a lot different then spit" doesn't mean its any better. Its a poor example, I know, I couldn't think of anything extremely vile to compare Nicki Minaj to so I had to settle with human bodily fluids.

.......I just like her ash. :jedi

Point taken. :cwink:

Hellllllll yeah, that song should be included in the soundtrack for Thor: The Dark World.

Last edited:
So what is the in-comic explanation for why half his face is black?

Umm...maybe we should get back on topic.

So Marvel really loves their British villains don't they?

Tom Hiddleston
Christopher Eccleston
Ben Kingsley

Well now we can add Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje to the list of British villains. :cool:

I loved Doctor Who. He's a great actor. You can never go wrong with casting british actors ;)

I loved Doctor Who. He's a great actor. You can never go wrong with casting british actors ;)

Seriously, what is the deal. British.

Best musicians, best bands, best actors.

a little off topic, but you know how we call English spoken by the british and English, English Accents?/British Accents?

Well technically, isn't their English proper English as it should be spoken, and it's everyone else who actually has accents? :huh:

Seriously, what is the deal. British.

Best musicians, best bands, best actors.

a little off topic, but you know how we call English spoken by the british and English, English Accents?/British Accents?

Well technically, isn't their English proper English as it should be spoken, and it's everyone else who actually has accents? :huh:

Everybody has accents

I'm assuming they're building up to a third movie with Surtur, would be a nice end to the trilogy with Loki and Thor teaming up to finish him off

I agree, Loki may or may not have anything to do with Malekith's scheming in T:TDW (I for one wouldn't mind seeing Ego as has been speculated by some) but in a third Thor film I bet we will see Loki cozy up to Amora and Skurge to unleash Surtur on the nine realms but see his mistakes when Odin is killed in the process and help Thor to take him down.

Last edited:
Given that the arc that this character was involved in the comics involved the casket of ancient winters, which was used in the first Thor Film, do you guys think that they'll go with that plot device again or use something else instead?

I think they will definitely use another plot device. The casket was not necessarily done justice, but it was also (imo) not interesting enough to warrant it. I think they should continue to explore the world and not use that particular piece again. :)

They have accents and they also have accents based on their region and class just like any society really.

Except the British accent(s) is (are) sexier.

They have accents and they also have accents based on their region and class just like any society really.

I agree with that. Completely.

Girls with british accents:hrt:

I think the Old English dialect and accent makes a certain sort of sense. If Asgardians first arrived on Earth in Northern Europe, their speech would've most definitely heavily influenced any language the humans were already using. As English is a Western Germanic language, and they landed in Norway this is fitting. Odin came to earth speaking old english (which of course Asgardians may simply call Asgardian language) and the ancient Norwegian language may have taken some influence in such a way as to evolve into Old English and eventually modern English. Where of course, Asgardians language would have been far older and more developed so they wouldn't have evolved nearly so drastically.

Just a small point I took into account because it could be considered strange that the extraterrestrials in the MCU (Asgardians, Jotuns, The Other/Thanos) speak English. But I feel like this brings a little more possibility into the mix for those who are bothered by that. If I am missing something from the comics/etc. please let me know. I enjoy this type of stuff. :D

I think the Old English dialect and accent makes a certain sort of sense. If Asgardians first arrived on Earth in Northern Europe, their speech would've most definitely heavily influenced any language the humans were already using. As English is a Western Germanic language, and they landed in Norway this is fitting. Odin came to earth speaking old english (which of course Asgardians may simply call Asgardian language) and the ancient Norwegian language may have taken some influence in such a way as to evolve into Old English and eventually modern English. Where of course, Asgardians language would have been far older and more developed so they wouldn't have evolved nearly so drastically.

Just a small point I took into account because it could be considered strange that the extraterrestrials in the MCU (Asgardians, Jotuns, The Other/Thanos) speak English. But I feel like this brings a little more possibility into the mix for those who are bothered by that. If I am missing something from the comics/etc. please let me know. I enjoy this type of stuff. :D

Just to pick a nit: English, as you say, comes in part from a West Germanic language (namely, Old English). Old Norse is a Northern Germanic language. Old English was influenced by Old Norse due to Viking invasions. Old Norse evolved into the modern Scandinavian languages (Icelandic is the closest to Old Norse), and Old English of course evolved into Middle and then Modern English, picking up a lot of French via the Norman Invasion (who were themselves descendents of Vikings (just sayin')).

And of course, all these languages had many dialects. So there's not "one" Old English or Old Norse, etc.

I was going to assert that the Asgardian language would more likely be closer to Old Norse, given the landing at Toensberg depicted at the beginning of Thor1. But Vikings had had contact with the British Isles prior to 965 CE. So maybe you could say there were earlier contacts with the Asgardians, in which case it could have been either in Scandinavia or elsewhere.

BTW, in the Thor1 script on line is this exchange:
DARCY
So, how can you speak our language?
VOLSTAGG
Your language? Ha! Silly girl, you're speaking ours.

A while back someone (maybe not on this forum) asserted that people from Australia tend to do poor British accents and pointed to Hemsworth as an example. My thought when I read that was that one could instead think of him doing an Asgardian accent :yay:

Thanks for posting this. I enjoy this kind of stuff too!

Just to pick a nit: English, as you say, comes in part from a West Germanic language (namely, Old English). Old Norse is a Northern Germanic language. Old English was influenced by Old Norse due to Viking invasions. Old Norse evolved into the modern Scandinavian languages (Icelandic is the closest to Old Norse), and Old English of course evolved into Middle and then Modern English, picking up a lot of French via the Norman Invasion (who were themselves descendents of Vikings (just sayin')).

And of course, all these languages had many dialects. So there's not "one" Old English or Old Norse, etc.

I was going to assert that the Asgardian language would more likely be closer to Old Norse, given the landing at Toensberg depicted at the beginning of Thor1. But Vikings had had contact with the British Isles prior to 965 CE. So maybe you could say there were earlier contacts with the Asgardians, in which case it could have been either in Scandinavia or elsewhere.

DARCY
VOLSTAGG

A while back someone (maybe not on this forum) asserted that people from Australia tend to do poor British accents and pointed to Hemsworth as an example. My thought when I read that was that one could instead think of him doing an Asgardian accent :yay:

Cool! I had no idea. Especially the Darcy/Volstagg line. I wonder why they didn't put it in the film.

DARCY
VOLSTAGG

I thought that was just hemsworth' natural accent

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"