Clash of the Titans stealing Thors Thunder..Nay I say...but it could be a gauge

Weadazoid

Sidekick
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else thought about this but good god parts of the Clash Trailer had me a thinking.

If Clash is really good it could have two effects...steal some thunder in terms of the concpet being pretty unique or it could spurn people to go see Thor because they really liked Clash

If Clash is really bad again two possible effects.... People hate it and turn away from Thor because they look simmilar or Marvel gets even higher praise cause they made it work when the WB failed.

I hope CotT doesn't steal Thor's thunder. BOTH have a following all their own.
I'm one who'll see both anyway, I was a huge Classic monster movie fan when Clash first came out yet at the same time was into Conan.

I think both films will do well. CotT will be a nice adventure film and Thor is Marvel and once that really gets in the general publics mind it'll really take off

I doubt either will be stealing any thunder for each. But are two totally different films.

if anything they'll be adding thunder to one another. People will get hyped up for fantasy adventure films

Well other than both deal with Myth.
Thor is supposed to be a similar film, and granted the Script's been changed I'm sure it's not going to be too much different accept for being Norse based over Greek/Roman

eh either way both films are gonna be good. Personally I don't foresee any stolen thunder, but who knows what the GP thinks anymore

I think they are different enough. No one was comparing Troy to Lord Of The Rings so I'm not sure why they would compare Thor to Clash Of the Titans.

Thor will be thanking Clash if it's generally well received.

I was actually just thinking, and this is just me, but I kind of hope we see a trailer for Thor similar to the one we got for COtT. I know alot of people didn't dig it, but I adored it for the reason that it didn't give the traditional sweeping epic journey through fantasy land like you would expect from a trailer for a film like that. It kind of catches you off guard and gets you excited.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd like to see an "epic" style trailer for Thor, but first I want a trailer like COtT's that really just catches and hooks not only fans, but more importantly the people who don't really know Thor and may just dismiss him as a Marvel LOTR knock off, and says "This is Thor. He isn't 300. He isn't LOTR. He isn't etc. But he is 100% blistering @$$ kickery. Go watch this film".

Some crazy music with some opening shots of Asgard, Odin banishing Thor, Thor lost on earth, and ramping up to Loki's invasion of earth with the dark forces of Asgard and end with Thor bringing down some heavy lightning action with the Hammer, and BAM: THOR-SUMMER 2011.

I think it'd be cool to juxtapose maybe some more orchestral, epic music during some opening scenes of Asgard and the gods in a trailer, and then when Thor hits earth and ramping up to Lokis invasion, lay in with something a little harder edged.

Of course now that Clash of the Titans did a trailer like that, it wouldn't be too original...

That's just me though. And I have a crush on the COtT trailer. I have it on my ipod and I can't get enough of it. :woot:

PS
Off topic, but I could totally see the last shot in a trailer being Thor hitting something HARD with the hammer, lightning striking, then the screen going black, then coming back in and showing Nick Fury with his hands on his hips giving a chuckle and saying "Haha, damn, I like you Goldilocks!"

I was actually just thinking, and this is just me, but I kind of hope we see a trailer for Thor similar to the one we got for COtT. I know alot of people didn't dig it, but I adored it for the reason that it didn't give the traditional sweeping epic journey through fantasy land like you would expect from a trailer for a film like that. It kind of catches you off guard and gets you excited.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd like to see an "epic" style trailer for Thor, but first I want a trailer like COtT's that really just catches and hooks not only fans, but more importantly the people who don't really know Thor and may just dismiss him as a Marvel LOTR knock off, and says "This is Thor. He isn't 300. He isn't LOTR. He isn't etc. But he is 100% blistering @$$ kickery. Go watch this film".

Some crazy music with some opening shots of Asgard, Odin banishing Thor, Thor lost on earth, and ramping up to Loki's invasion of earth with the dark forces of Asgard and end with Thor bringing down some heavy lightning action with the Hammer, and BAM: THOR-SUMMER 2011.

I think it'd be cool to juxtapose maybe some more orchestral, epic music during some opening scenes of Asgard and the gods in a trailer, and then when Thor hits earth and ramping up to Lokis invasion, lay in with something a little harder edged.

Of course now that Clash of the Titans did a trailer like that, it wouldn't be too original...

That's just me though. And I have a crush on the COtT trailer. I have it on my ipod and I can't get enough of it.

PS
Off topic, but I could totally see the last shot in a trailer being Thor hitting something HARD with the hammer, lightning striking, then the screen going black, then coming back in and showing Nick Fury with his hands on his hips giving a chuckle and saying "Haha, damn, I like you Goldilocks!"

See I grew up watching the original CotT and after seeing the trailer I feel as though they have raped my childhood. I like the new rendition of medusa, the harpies and the giant scorpions...the witches have an awful makeup job though. They would have looked better if they were based more on RL burn victims (for example) who have lost their eyes and have skin covering the eye socket. Perseus doesn't even look the part, he is interchangeable with any actor in 'Gladiator'. Judging from appearances Kalibos is not the fearsome villain he once was, he's been reduced to some slightly misshapen attraction straight out of Cirque du Freak. But those details are minor compared to the travesty of the soundtrack. A lot of people have complained about that nu-metal track not fitting the imagery or subject matter at ALL. I like metal...just not juxtaposed over greek mythology. 300 does NOT count!!! I am a purist when it comes to trailer music:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3o38SPMbk0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3o38SPMbk0U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

That track is called 'Olympus' btw. I have libraries full of production music by Immediate, Megatrax, X-Ray Dog, you name it. To top it all off they come up with what is possibly the most idiotic tagline in the recent history of cinema "TITANS...WILL...CLASH". It's practically inspired a whole new meme over at AICN :facepalm:.

In short, I pray the 'Thor' trailer is a lot better :dry:. Though I do agree with your point about not giving too much of the actual story away ;)...

Last edited:
The Clash of the Titans "trailer" isn't even a proper trailer. It's just a load of money shots thrown together with a temporary score and tag line. Clearly.

And I don't think COTT will steal Thor's thunder.

1. It's out a whole year before Thor

2. Thor is still a comic book/super hero movie PLUS mythical swords and sandals ****.

Clash is a TEASER trailer, it exists solely to put the film on peoples radar

They haven't even started scoring the film yet why would the music used in a trailer matter.

The design of the witches is amazing, this is not a matter of opinion, its a fact.

WB always, or at least lately, have terrible tag lines. (ex: Holmes for the Holidays)

The original Clash is not a great or even good movie by any means, it has one great scene (Medusa) and the rest varies from awkward to just plain bad. It was dated the year it came out (a year that gave us films such as The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Arc) in comparison Clash looks better suited for a 1961 release.

Childhood nostalgia is the only thing getting people to call it a classic, its one of the few movies calling out for a remake (not that it really matters, both movies happen to be based loosely on a 3000+ year old myth that has been acted out in plays, rewritten into children stories, and animated into numerous cartoons - this one just happens to be using the same title as the 1981 movie. Getting upset about this remake is akin to getting upset about the 90's Hercules TV show becuase there had been a Hercules movies made in the 60s.)

As for Clash stealing Thor's Thunder, not gonna happen, THOR IS BRINGING HIS OWN THUNDER.

That actually could become a problem when it comes to promotion.

Not at all.

It would appeal to the mythical, swords and sandals fans AND the comic book movie fans.

And with the cast they have put together and the team behind it, no one is gonna shrug it off unless they just have no interest in movies in general.

But those fans only make up a small percentage. In terms of the general public do you market it as a fantasy film or a superhero flick? WB had issues with promoting Watchmen because it really didn't fit in any one category, Thor is sort of the same being this odd mix of a comic character based on actual Norse mythology. Just saying, it's not as cut and dry as other characters in terms of promotion.

Clash is a TEASER trailer, it exists solely to put the film on peoples radar

They haven't even started scoring the film yet why would the music used in a trailer matter.

Chances are work on the score is already under way, it's the way the industry works. Where do you think they find the time to hire another composer when a score gets rejected during initial test screenings?

As to why the trailer music matters, it's simple. It's supposed to make a good impression on the potential audience...so far the impression is not a very favorable one:

"NOTHING helps me feel like I&#8217;m being transported back to the era of gods and heroes more than a ROCKING SOUNDTRACK with DISTORTED GUITARS and a HEAVY DRUM BEAT! Woohooooooo!"

The design of the witches is amazing, this is not a matter of opinion, its a fact.

Talk to people on CG/SFX forums who work on such things. I am certain you will get a somewhat different opinion:

Pale_Man___Pan__s_Labyrinth_01_by_blue_sheep.jpg

Look familiar? The film version featured better prosthetics and makeup...

WB always, or at least lately, have terrible tag lines. (ex: Holmes for the Holidays)

I must say, they really outdid themselves this time :hehe:.

The original Clash is not a great or even good movie by any means, it has one great scene (Medusa) and the rest varies from awkward to just plain bad. It was dated the year it came out (a year that gave us films such as The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Arc) in comparison Clash looks better suited for a 1961 release.

Childhood nostalgia is the only thing getting people to call it a classic, its one of the few movies calling out for a remake (not that it really matters, both movies happen to be based loosely on a 3000+ year old myth that has been acted out in plays, rewritten into children stories, and animated into numerous cartoons - this one just happens to be using the same title as the 1981 movie. Getting upset about this remake is akin to getting upset about the 90's Hercules TV show becuase there had been a Hercules movies made in the 60s.)

Thanks for missing my point entirely :dry:. Last time I checked a remake was supposed to be an all around improvement over the original. Of course you are going to raise the bar on cinematography and SFX :whatever:. If the original premise was halfway decent only make the necessary changes, don't trash the whole thing and start from scratch only to end up with something even worse! Everything is in keeping with both the budget and the time period the film is made in after all, which is exactly why I find it laughable that Kalibos (for example) is less awe inspiring than his counterpart from a 'cheesy' retro flick.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume you've never seen a teaser before and just ignore all that bull***** you wrote at the top.

Its being about as faithful to the MYTH as the the original was, and I like that the witches have a Del Tero style design, its fantastic and not a rip-off. The original Kalibos was the very definition of lame.

que your overlong, and misinformed eye-sore of a reply. I wont be reading it though. :D

I don't think the second thing will matter. If Marvel/Disney/Paramount promotes it as "Made by the creators of 'Iron Man'" it will sell itself.

I'm going to assume you've never seen a teaser before and just ignore all that bull***** you wrote at the top.

Am I to assume then, that you know nothing about marketing or film making for that matter :o? Because from a professional standpoint, that 'teaser' failed miserably. If it's a sign of what we should expect, I can't be overly optimistic about the quality of the film itself. It's not a personal attack, it's an informed opinion. Do not confuse the two and please, let us be civil to one another :yay:.

Its being about as faithful to the MYTH as the the original was

It's not going to be, I can virtually guarantee that :dry:. It's called 'adaptation decay', learn that term and incorporate it into your vocabulary. If Hollywood follows the current trend of mutilating old scripts and works of literature beyond recognition you are going to be using it quite often :cwink:.

and I like that the witches have a Del Tero style design, its fantastic and not a rip-off.

They are female clones of the pale man, who has a very iconic look. It is precisely Del Toro's unique concept which makes the similarities a little too obvious for comfort. They could have done better...

The original Kalibos was the very definition of lame.

The original Kalibos had some depth. He was a menacing yet tragic figure which stands in sharp contrast to your typical two dimensional cardboard cutout. Villains of the 'muahaha' variety are lame because we know that humans IRL are more complex than that! Furthermore, the makeup on the updated version isn't terribly impressive considering what it should be.

que your overlong, and misinformed eye-sore of a reply. I wont be reading it though. :D

More's the pity that my focus lasts longer than the time it takes to read a few awkward sentences. I suppose that is what is wrong with some of the younger folks...not only are their standards lower, they have the attention span of goldfish :csad:.

Moving on...

Last edited:
WHen I said steal thunder..obviously being out a full year ahead of Thor means it is clearly no threat but

BUT

what I was kind of thinking about was how the hugely successful Increadibles movie had FF fans kinda pissed because it took many ideas...concepts and sequences that could have been OG to the FF movie and kind of played them out.

Now in no way do I think that Thor will be as bad as FF... but thats kinda where I was going.

look we all know LotR has done fantasy and done it well, Troy did it as well...BUT

Clash bring in lets see........Gods....son's of Gods...grandiose theames.... see where I am going.

I understood what you meant :). It's not always the concept itself that fails but the execution...

I am sure marvel/paramount are going to promote this right.

Just viewed the trailer for "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief", and that film may also be a gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"