Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

I don’t think this should ever go that dark. But I hope they stop the whiplashing. One minute, Johnny seems to be putting it together. The next, he’s clueless again. One minute, Johnny and Daniel reconcile. The next, they are mortal enemies again.

I get they need drama but hope they are a little more creative. Everyone on this show is likable, except maybe Hawk. So no need to try to make someone bad just to prop someone else up.

I can see Terry doing something like that if he ever came back before Kreese. As bad as Kreese is Terry was clearly far far worse

Perhaps kill Ali ?

I'm really curious as to how they'll write for Miguel now post season 2.

Hope they don't go full soap opera that if he wakes up he becomes a completely different person/personality swap.

To be honest, its not unreasonable for the injury he sustained. A head injury can do that.

And I really doubt they are going to be killing a main character. Especially murdering them.

Tbh, I'm not even sure I've watched the original Karate Kid, but after finishing the two seasons of this, I'm checking it out. Really enjoyed it, it can be ridiculous/cheesy at times, but that's part of its charm.

I'm curious, since this is moving to Netlfix, are they keeping the same production crew/writers/etc? I imagine it will get a better budget.

Given the success, they may be able to get a bit of a better budget. But, I think keeping it cheap will be important. Also depends on where they plan on filming.

I hope they don't mess with the formula by doing longer episodes or add more creative voices. That will just mess with the simplicity and charm of the show now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I binged the first two seasons. It lived up to the praise. The season two finale was especially entertaining and I'm definitely looking forward to season three. If you had told me when I watched the original Karate Kid that one day I'd be rooting for Johnny Lawrence, I'd call you crazy. Yet here we are. I'm just glad this went to Netflix because I was never going to subscribe to YouTube Premium or whatever it was.

Seems that the show moving to Netflix was an excellent choice

I see that more people are now watching and it’s crazy that despite the first 2 seasons have been out for quite awhile, I’ve been seeing a lot of actors from the series out there currently doing interviews, promos, etc. even though season 3 is still months away

The series deserves all the praise it’s been getting and glad to see it has gained new fans

Just finished season 2. That was wild! Really love how this show brought back the 80s. Also I might start drinking Coors Banquet now. Lol

Also..I’m in love with Carmen. I’m a sucker for Latina women :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Is anyone else curious about the fact there are several occasions in the show when someone is driving under the influence of alcohol? Considering that this is mostly aimed towards Young adults.

It's not exactly showing drinking in a positive light. It's all about context.

My thoughts on other characters returning from the previous films:

Ali: This needs to happen. And Since Elizabeth Shue isn't on The Boys anymore, her schedule might be free.

Chozen: Yeah, he would be a good antagonist. The second film wasn't as good as the first but it was solid and far better than what followed in part III. I remember thinking Chozen was a good villain.

Kumiko: Sure, why not? Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not a big fan of the actress who plays Daniel's wife. I wouldn't mind if they get divorced in between seasons, clearing the way for a Daniel/Kumiko reunion.

Terry Silver: I don't like the third movie and Thomas Ian Griffith was WAAAAYYY too young to be playing Kreese's war buddy (he's actually younger than Ralph Macchio lol) but he was a pretty vicious bad guy and he could fit nicely in as another antagonist.

Mike Barnes: I don't really have a need to see Johnny Lawrence-Lite show up again, though I suppose if Silver returns then we could see this D-bag come back.

Daniel's Mountain Climber Non-Love Interest Who Dumps Him Before Karate Kid III Even Ends: The only way I'd ever want to see Robyn Lively appear in this franchise again is if it somehow leads to a reenactment of this:

My thoughts on other characters returning from the previous films:

Ali: This needs to happen. And Since Elizabeth Shue isn't on The Boys anymore, her schedule might be free.

Chozen: Yeah, he would be a good antagonist. The second film wasn't as good as the first but it was solid and far better than what followed in part III. I remember thinking Chozen was a good villain.

Kumiko: Sure, why not? Maybe I'm alone here but I'm not a big fan of the actress who plays Daniel's wife. I wouldn't mind if they get divorced in between seasons, clearing the way for a Daniel/Kumiko reunion.

Terry Silver: I don't like the third movie and Thomas Ian Griffith was WAAAAYYY too young to be playing Kreese's war buddy (he's actually younger than Ralph Macchio lol) but he was a pretty vicious bad guy and he could fit nicely in as another antagonist.

Mike Barnes: I don't really have a need to see Johnny Lawrence-Lite show up again, though I suppose if Silver returns then we could see this D-bag come back.

Daniel's Mountain Climber Non-Love Interest Who Dumps Him Before Karate Kid III Even Ends: The only way I'd ever want to see Robyn Lively appear in this franchise again is if it somehow leads to a reenactment of this:

There are rumors that Chozen is seen at the end of the new trailer previewing season 3 telling Danny "are you sure about that?" after Danny says that Miyagi never kept any secrets from him.

There are rumors that Chozen is seen at the end of the new trailer previewing season 3 telling Danny "are you sure about that?" after Danny says that Miyagi never kept any secrets from him.

Yeah, that might be him. Would be pretty cool if it was.

EDIT: So Macchio was on Conan and revealed that he went to Okinawa to shoot some scenes. That was semi-revealed in that little tease at the end of the latest trailer, though I wasn't 100% sure if that was Okinawa we saw there. But it was, and that could mean that he was fighting Chozen there at the end.

I also wonder if we'll see Kumiko. She's still acting (most recently on Picard), so it's possible.

Last edited:
The Pellet Drums playing weren’t exactly subtle either. It’s definitely him.

Well this was just terrific. My mate told me about it ages ago, when it first came on YouTube.
Moving to Nextflix was the best thing that could have happened to it, as it has now gone mainstream.
Really enjoy Johnny's fish out of water acting - stuck in the 80's, rad babes, bad ass, what's WiFi?!
Does a good job of twisting the narrative that Daniel was a bit of a d**k as well, always gets what he wants, still impulsive & doesn't listen to people around him.
From the events of S2, I fully expect S3 to have Johnny & Daniel team up to take on Krees, even if they bring back some of the other villains from the films.
Didn't know about them going to Japan either, that will be cool to explore some Myagi back story stuff, but I want the main focus of the show to still be on Johnny.

'Cobra Kai' Karate Kicks Into Nielsen's Weekly Streaming Rankings - Variety

Here is this week’s top 10:

“Lucifer” (75 episodes) – 2,007 minutes (millions)

“Kobra Kai” (20 episodes) – 1,432

“The Office” (192 episodes) – 919 minutes

“The Legend of Korra” (52 episodes) – 808 minutes

“The Umbrella Academy” (20 episodes) – 758 minutes

“Grey’s Anatomy” (361 episodes) – 703 minutes

“Criminal Minds” (277 episodes) – 671 minutes

“Shameless” (121 episodes) – 637 minutes

“NCIS” (353 episodes) – 527 minute

“Cocomelon” (3 episodes) – 336 minutes

So Silver is going to show up then, in some form. At the very least, heavily talked about.

Yeah, that might be him. Would be pretty cool if it was.

EDIT: So Macchio was on Conan and revealed that he went to Okinawa to shoot some scenes. That was semi-revealed in that little tease at the end of the latest trailer, though I wasn't 100% sure if that was Okinawa we saw there. But it was, and that could mean that he was fighting Chozen there at the end.

I also wonder if we'll see Kumiko. She's still acting (most recently on Picard), so it's possible.

I think by "fighting" Chozen it's more of a sparring session. I think this maybe after they made amends but we'll see.

Rewatched both seasons over the weekend with my partner, since she hadn’t seen it. It’s just as good the second time through. I also found myself liking Daniel’s wife a lot more; I’m not sure now why I didn’t care for her initially. I hope we get an announcement about the release date for season 3 soon. And also a confirmation of whether Elizabeth Shue shows up or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"