Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

It's been 30 years, Danielle is a moderately successful family man and Johnny is basically a broke loser, so he reopens the dojo. At first when I heard this I thought that Johnny just wanted to make a living and Danielle was going to try and stop him (switching bully roles), then maybe the two reconcile and both train this kid that's being bullied in the series. But after hearing Johnny narrate the teaser and keeping the "No Mercy" dojo principle, maybe his crappy life made him jaded.

did that one night define his life?

its a question worth asking

That trailer definitely sold me. I'm already a YouTube Red subscriber. Lucky me. :)

The trailer implies the morality for this thing will be fairly complicated. And I like that. Having both Daniel and Johnny defined by that tournament fight and needing some perspective has some nice humorous and dramatic implications. The fact that Johnny seems to be mentoring a good kid means will get to see where or when he goes to far in trying to help the kid.

All right, I’m in. I already was, but this trailer sold me even more.

The trailer implies the morality for this thing will be fairly complicated. And I like that. Having both Daniel and Johnny defined by that tournament fight and needing some perspective has some nice humorous and dramatic implications. The fact that Johnny seems to be mentoring a good kid means will get to see where or when he goes to far in trying to help the kid.

Except for the fact that he's still running with the "No Mercy" Cobra Kai rules, making the kids vandalize vehicles, and probably charging them money since he was a broke drunk and now rents out a space at a strip mall for the dojo.

Watching all the trailers, it seems that Johnny takes on the kid to train. Then somehow the kid lands under Danielle's wing for training (presumably because he doesn't like Johnny's bullying methods).

Except for the fact that he's still running with the "No Mercy" Cobra Kai rules, making the kids vandalize vehicles, and probably charging them money since he was a broke drunk and now rents out a space at a strip mall for the dojo.

Watching all the trailers, it seems that Johnny takes on the kid to train. Then somehow the kid lands under Danielle's wing for training (presumably because he doesn't like Johnny's bullying methods).

if you looked herder, those were junk cars and those kids had goggles on - I assume he bought them there to get some rage out

and "No Mercy" can mean a couple things

No Mercy to the obstacles in their life, no mercy to getting bullied, so on

There'd be more dramatic weight if Johnny is trying to do the right thing as he sees it, and is at least partially right, while wrong in others, and that would only get better if Daniel is ultimately a good man, but one who's gone a bit astray.

Johnny was a goon in the movie, but had some standards, and Kreese was shown as a worse villain who Miyagi had to save Johnny from.

That trailer was great! Can’t wait for this!

There'd be more dramatic weight if Johnny is trying to do the right thing as he sees it, and is at least partially right, while wrong in others, and that would only get better if Daniel is ultimately a good man, but one who's gone a bit astray.

Johnny was a goon in the movie, but had some standards, and Kreese was shown as a worse villain who Miyagi had to save Johnny from.

as a guess, I think that's where they are going with it

Johnny realizes that while he was probably trained (mindset wise) very wrong, that there wasn't some right mixed in there

also LaRusso is now a greasy car salesman and Im not supporting that

This look really really interesting, but can't help but think that a quasi reboot/sequal of the first movie would've been much better instead of a TV series.

However to see their rivalry re-emerge in a contemporary context is going to be great.

They already did the reboot/remake/sequel thing twice. Once with Hilary Swank and then Jaden Smith and neither was well recieved.

Plus the trailer implies we're getting a quiet retelling of the original story with Johnny's first student, though with the added complication of Johnny is the spot of Miyagi instead of Daniel.

$20 says a key climactic moment is going to involve that kid trying to apply the idealized version of Johnny's teachings, and Johnny angrily showing Kreese's stain on him by telling him he was wrong and should do something bad. Cue fallout, as the kid has a reason to respect and admire Johnny but is aware of his flaws, and Johnny possibly grapples with the fact that Daniel isn't his problem, Kreese is, and he has to take responsibility for that.

Hope this is eventually released on DVD/Bluray for those who don't subscribe to YouTube TV.

Last edited:
also LaRusso is now a greasy car salesman and Im not supporting that

LOL!! To be fair, Danielle was really into cars in the original films (the first one most of all). Probably why they went with the dynamic that he owns his own dealership, so it's not like he's a cheap-o small-time car salesman.

The new trailer makes Daniel look like the bad guy.

Not really sure about the more comedic aspects of it (yeah, the originals were funny, but tonally this seems maybe taking it further), but really sort of loving the premise here.

The Johnny actor feels believable from the trailer too, natural progression and all.

His millennial-bashing is pretty rad. Both true, and feels like how a guy like him would see things now.

Loving that Daniel's a frickin' car salesman. :woot: Not sure why it's perfect, but it kinda is. Playing into the whole "these guys peaked as teenagers" thing, karate as opportunities is probably a pretty dead end for 99.9999% of these guys, now they're regular-joe 9-5 normal guys.

The 80s-sounding song they use by that lame Australian band is pretty on-point too. :mnm: Man, hope this entire series is full of actual 80s licensed music, could be pretty cool. Johnny probably listened to all the cheesy LA hair-metal type of stuff, if this series is sort of from his perspective it could be a cool way to go.

Daniel looks kinda silly in the scenes where he's doing karate. :D

Honestly, it's just really cool seeing Macchio working again. Always seemed weird to me after the three KK movies and My Cousin Vinny he'd have gone on to an at least pretty decent career, just hasn't worked out this way.

But yeah, getting hyped for this show.

They already did the reboot/remake/sequel thing twice. Once with Hilary Swank and then Jaden Smith and neither was well recieved.

Jaden Smith's was generaly well received. From what i remember it was pretty good actualy.

Hell, I actually like the Swank movie. It's fine.

Been forever since I've seen it though, guess it might have aged badly. But hell, I like all the sequels. 2's pretty weird tonally, like half pretty goofy & cheesy up the wazoo, but otherwise some pretty dark & serious elements. And the bad guy in 3's a whole lot of fun, forget the name. Kind of like how a lot of third movies in the 80s came around to mirror the first one, too - Star Wars did it, Indy did it, Karate Kid did it. I guess Rocky to an extent too, Clubber being the poor up-and-comer trying to make it.

But yeah, while 1's the best, never really got all the criticisms over 2 and 3, they're all pretty faithful tonally to the first, and each have their individual high points.

Can't remember all that much about the Smith/Chan reboot, but from memory it was decent. Should have been called "The Kung-Fu Kid" given it's in China, but other than that...

Jaden Smith's was generaly well received. From what i remember it was pretty good actualy.

Hell, I actually like the Swank movie. It's fine.

Been forever since I've seen it though, guess it might have aged badly. But hell, I like all the sequels. 2's pretty weird tonally, like half pretty goofy & cheesy up the wazoo, but otherwise some pretty dark & serious elements. And the bad guy in 3's a whole lot of fun, forget the name. Kind of like how a lot of third movies in the 80s came around to mirror the first one, too - Star Wars did it, Indy did it, Karate Kid did it. I guess Rocky to an extent too, Clubber being the poor up-and-comer trying to make it.

But yeah, while 1's the best, never really got all the criticisms over 2 and 3, they're all pretty faithful tonally to the first, and each have their individual high points.

Can't remember all that much about the Smith/Chan reboot, but from memory it was decent. Should have been called "The Kung-Fu Kid" given it's in China, but other than that...
Maybe Jaden's was, I don't remember it being bad myself but anything that does decent enough usually gets a sequel even if it is DTV but nothing happened with it and it's been so long I figured it fell onto the wayside of not good enough along with most other reboots.

My point was though that neither of these movies was good enough to warrant more sequels or attempts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"