The Dark Knight Rises Johnny Depp wants the Riddler role

i completely disagree. nolan shouldn't try and top the scale or magnitude of the chaos wrought by the joker, but rather craft a different type of story, perhaps a more personal plot for bruce/batman to overcome.

have batman's image tarnished by the riddler, that could work, but i don't think the whole city needs to be facing death/destruction/anarchy again. that would only be a rehash.

put bruce on a smaller, more personal journey, increase the character development levels by having a more involved and less.....city-wide perspective, make it about bruc/gordon/alfred. maybe even fox.

whatever the route chosen, i think trying to outdo TDK in terms of chaos and city-wide panic is the wrong one. it doesn't even fit in with the riddler as a character, to attack gotham as a whole.

i completely disagree. nolan shouldn't try and top the scale or magnitude of the chaos wrought by the joker, but rather craft a different type of story, perhaps a more personal plot for bruce/batman to overcome.

That's how I see it. I would definitely like the Riddler to be henchmen-less and have a personal plot for Batman.

have batman's image tarnished by the riddler, that could work, but i don't think the whole city needs to be facing death/destruction/anarchy again. that would only be a rehash.

put bruce on a smaller, more personal journey, increase the character development levels by having a more involved and less.....city-wide perspective, make it about bruc/gordon/alfred. maybe even fox.

whatever the route chosen, i think trying to outdo TDK in terms of chaos and city-wide panic is the wrong one. it doesn't even fit in with the riddler as a character, to attack gotham as a whole.

But Gotham has to be in utter danger or the movie's climax becomes boring. The end of Batman Begins had the city facing destruction as well as The Dark Knight so The Riddler will have to have a plot that involves the whole or apart of the city's fate.

I say give this man the role, he's been patiently waiting his turn in line, and a good actor at that. Would be nice to see a Nolan-Depp collaboration.

But Gotham has to be in utter danger or the movie's climax becomes boring. The end of Batman Begins had the city facing destruction as well as The Dark Knight so The Riddler will have to have a plot that involves the whole or apart of the city's fate.

Not really. If they succesfully craft and develop characters we care about, if they continue and/or increase the investment we have with the central characters, we will be deeply interested in seeing how things pan out for them. If Bruce is facing a more personal smaller scale crisis/threat, then, so long as we care about the character, we will be on the edge of our seats waiting to see what happens to him. The same goes for Alfred, Gordon etc.

there is no need for gotham to be staring down the barrel of armageddon come the time of every film's climax.

That would become boring.

That's how I see it. I would definitely like the Riddler to be henchmen-less and have a personal plot for Batman.

I think that's be fine as long as there's another villain who poses a more city-wide epic threat. That way, Batman would be challenged on all levels.

I think that's be fine as long as there's another villain who poses a more city-wide epic threat. That way, Batman would be challenged on all levels.
I personally think the Riddler would be done better if he remained off-screen for most of the film. Manipulating events behind the events. Most of his storylines have him this way, and he's not exactly the most physical of Batman's foes.

A good villain to go along with the Riddler, because he has a much better premise, would probably be Bane. But I don't think Bane has a chance in hell in appearing in another Batman film because of that little thing we call Batman & Robin. Oh well.

In BB, the two-toned keynotes to open the bookcase served as the infamous "POW" and "BAM" sound effects for fight scenes.

wow, nice catch. I'd always assumed that they'd chosen three of the most unconventional and dissonant intervals, so that if anyone outside the bat family was ever playing it for whatever reason they would almost defintetly never play those combinations of notes all in a row.

Last edited:
I actually think it would be interesting if Riddler were presented as a guy trying to help Gotham. Gotham now rebuilt and stronger than ever, and Riddler saying the last piece of the puzzle still remains to be Batman. He needs to be captured and hung for what he's done etc etc. Meanwhile E. Nygma has stuff going on in the background using the "catch Batman" as a front, and Batman has to out him. But it's difficult. Batman is hated, people likely wouldn't believe him. So then maybe the last act of the movie Gotham hates Batman and Riddler. Something along those lines perhaps?

I actually think it would be interesting if Riddler were presented as a guy trying to help Gotham. Gotham now rebuilt and stronger than ever, and Riddler saying the last piece of the puzzle still remains to be Batman. He needs to be captured and hung for what he's done etc etc. Meanwhile E. Nygma has stuff going on in the background using the "catch Batman" as a front, and Batman has to out him. But it's difficult. Batman is hated, people likely wouldn't believe him. So then maybe the last act of the movie Gotham hates Batman and Riddler. Something along those lines perhaps?
I'd dig it. Put another cop in charge of the hunt for Batman, say Bullock, and then set up the relationship between the Riddler and this cop be a parallel to the relationship Batman once had with Gordon.

It'd be cool to get Depp in this franchise. At this point, I'm afraid that the only way to live up to the hype and iconic status of Ledger's Joker is to have an iconic actor come in and do a great job. It's going to be very difficult.

I'd dig it. Put another cop in charge of the hunt for Batman, say Bullock, and then set up the relationship between the Riddler and this cop be a parallel to the relationship Batman once had with Gordon.

That would be AWESOME! I think Batman should still have the relationship with Gordon, but very secret.

That would be AWESOME! I think Batman should still have the relationship with Gordon, but very secret.
It would, wouldn't it? A major part of The Dark Knight revolves around how Batman's presence is causing the escalation of crime within Gotham, culminating with the Joker and his probably only week-long grip on the city. Thusly, I parallels between the villains are becoming more like Batman. I had worked out an idea with Tommy Elliot (I know he's not the most popular candidate for the next film, but I think there's potential, especially involving Rachel's death) where, near the end of the film, the Riddler is ultimately successful and Batman is ultimately unmasked. There could be a scene that is a shot-by-shot recreation of the scene from Begins where Bruce goes to the courthouse to kill Joe Chill, but with Bruce now in Chill's place and Elliot in Bruce's place. I just think that would be pretty cool.

Glad to see that not every idea I have is as controversial as killing the Joker :p

jds6.jpg

Depp needs to bring back the Joker.

I wouldn't mind Depp as The Joker or Riddler, although he seems too obvious for the part. Still, he's always solid and dependable, so he'd work for either role, really.

Depps too good looking for Edward Nygma, I think they should give this to Michael Sheen.
I've rarely been so convinced an actor was made for a certain role.

I think they may call him Edward Nashton if he's in the third one. I know they may play around with Nygma as an alias, but the former name before he starts get more nuts would make more sense.

Ever since Batman Begins, I've always been saying Johnny Depp would be perfect for the Riddler... but different then the way Frank Gorshin or Jim Carrey played it... I always thought the way The Animated Series played the Riddler out would suit Nolan's films much better. That's how I picture Depp to play it.

Ok, so I know I've been one of the people staunchly against Depp as The Riddler, BUT...

Pirates of the Caribbean 3 was on TV yesterday and I sat down to watch it. As I'm watching it, I keep thinking back to this forum, and I realized that Depp COULD pull off The Riddler. He's still not my first, second, or even third choice, but I wouldn't be upset if he got the part.

I agree that I don't want to see a recreation of Gorshin's Riddler, but someone who's more astute and clinical. I also want him to be named 'Edward Nashton', as 'Edward Nygma/E. Nygma' just seems far to gimmicky for this series of films.

I like the idea of what someone said about the third movie being more about Batman/Bruce Wayne as a person instead of some massive catastrophe facing Gotham City. Have The Riddler be a direct threat to Batman, and The Penguin being a threat to Gotham and Bruce Wayne in his personal life. It's sort of a tale of duality.

The Riddler's real name should be Edward Nashton but he sends threatening letters to the police calling himself Edward Nygma.

I still like my idea that the Riddler should challenge Batman mentally, Catwoman emotionally, and some other villain should challenge him physically.

If Johnny Depp wants the role, then just give it to him. I think he could make a great Riddler for Batman 3 and live up to the brilliant performance that Heath gave. He's an A-list actor one of the few that we have today and there are not many actors nowadays who will ask to be in a film, usually the directors or extended cast have to try to convince them.

I personally think the Riddler would be done better if he remained off-screen for most of the film. Manipulating events behind the events. Most of his storylines have him this way, and he's not exactly the most physical of Batman's foes.

A good villain to go along with the Riddler, because he has a much better premise, would probably be Bane. But I don't think Bane has a chance in hell in appearing in another Batman film because of that little thing we call Batman & Robin. Oh well.
Bane don't have a chance anyway because Nolan wants realistic movies. This is the reason why I can't have a Killer Croc like the one from The Batman tv series or the new Arkham Asylum game.

Bane don't have a chance anyway because Nolan wants realistic movies. This is the reason why I can't have a Killer Croc like the one from The Batman tv series or the new Arkham Asylum game.

Nolan has elements of realism in his movies, but his movies are by no means realistic. They still feature a man who glides around in a cape dressed like a bat, microwave emitters, and secret ninja organizations in the mountains. Bane really isn't that far of stretch for those movies. He could be a very strong person who injects himself with a special steroid/adrenaline combination that momentarily gives him enhanced strength and abilities. It's not out of the realm of speculation, and we have products like this that do similar things in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"