The Dark Knight Rises Johnny Depp wants the Riddler role

I know, I know, it's playing into the rumors and everyone hates hearing it but, Johnny Depp is only listed in projects as a "producer" until 2010 when he's listed to act in "The Lone Ranger" as Tonto. The only solid acting related gig he has until 2010 is voice acting for "Rango. That is a long time to be without any physical acting.

He hadn't seen any of the Burton movies?
I don't know for sure, but the TV show was the only one he referenced in the interviews/featurettes that I saw. Because I remember thinking whenever he said that, "Really? You got this from...that?" And then I just figured Goyer had familiarized him with the comics version.

It's precisely why Goyer was brought on board. Nolan knew next to nothing about the character's roots, so he brought in a known fan that was in the industry. Probably explains why he didn't really change too many things from the original draft, he figured Goyer would be more faithful.

I did notice a few 60s show homages. In BB, the two-toned keynotes to open the bookcase served as the infamous "POW" and "BAM" sound effects for fight scenes. In TDK, Joker's bank robbery clown mask is a straight rip from one of Cesar Romero's get-ups:

IMG00022.jpg

Last edited:
Oh wow, good eye, Crook. I hadn't noticed either of those easter eggs. :up:

I remember reading on wikipedia that Micheal Jackson asked to play Riddler in Batman Forever but WB ignored him. So you think he would of done a better job then Carery or terribly worst?

Well.. let's see here.. one was a dancing pop star, the other is a comedic actor. Is it a real question as to would it have been better? While I dont care for the how Carrey portrayed Riddler, that's like asking if Lance Bass would make a better Captain America.

^Much worse no offense to Michael Jackson was great at what he did, just not playing the riddler.

It's precisely why Goyer was brought on board. Nolan knew next to nothing about the character's roots, so he brought in a known fan that was in the industry. Probably explains why he didn't really change too many things from the original draft, he figured Goyer would be more faithful.

I did notice a few 60s show homages. In BB, the two-toned keynotes to open the bookcase served as the infamous "POW" and "BAM" sound effects for fight scenes. In TDK, Joker's bank robbery clown mask is a straight rip from one of Cesar Romero's get-ups:

IMG00022.jpg

Good eyes AND ears.

That's really, really neat.

I've always for some reason, wondered by they picked those notes on the piano. I didn't know if it meant something or if it was random. But I know now, thanks.

Good eyes AND ears.

That's really, really neat.

I've always for some reason, wondered by they picked those notes on the piano. I didn't know if it meant something or if it was random. But I know now, thanks.

Really? Wow! Did not know that about the mask. But the BB thing what that about again?

When you forget where you came from, you can't get to where you wanna go. :o

Really? Wow! Did not know that about the mask. But the BB thing what that about again?

When they use the piano to activate the elevator to the Bat-cave the two notes they hit are the same notes that made up the "Bam" and "Pow" from the tv show.

IMG00022.jpg

I'd love an homeage with the Riddler like his exploding riddles.

When they use the piano to activate the elevator to the Bat-cave the two notes they hit are the same notes that made up the "Bam" and "Pow" from the tv show.

I never noticed that. I got the bookcase thing but the bam and pow.

I re-watched begins after I heard that and it totally sounds right. Interesting. That's what I like to see though, subtle hints that huge fanboys will get right away, and general audiences or not so savvy fanboys hear about and appreciate later.

Thats so awesome! Should they have more Batman 60s tv show homages in Batman 3? You can say Gotham City in the Dark Knight was a homage too since it was a clean, clear city like Gotham was in the tv show.

I think that was less an homage and more progression of Gotham. Considering what Depp has said about the Riddler, and if they go that route, it's almost guaranteed to see subtle hints to the tv show.

I've always wanted an older riddler...like robin williams or kevin spacey.
However if Johnny Depp wants it bad I'm sure he would give a great performance and I wouldn't mind since he is a great actor.

I'm with you, my choices have been between Michael Sheen and James Spader.

You can't knock what Gorshin did with the character. He wasn't a knock-off of the goofy Joker of the show, he was outlandish, but he was more of an intellectual OCD type that just HAD to prove how good he was with crimes and stumping Bats.

The thing about the riddler in the show is that he always kidnapped robin.

I think that was less an homage and more progression of Gotham. Considering what Depp has said about the Riddler, and if they go that route, it's almost guaranteed to see subtle hints to the tv show.

Like what? Can we get a homage to the bat car too.:hehe: You know the 60s tv show one.

I'm with you, my choices have been between Michael Sheen and James Spader.

Robin Williams tried out for the role of Riddler for Batman Forever but they went with Carrey instead. Williams also tried out for Joker in Batman 89 but lost out.

What about Tim Curry playing Riddler. I mean i watched the movie Clue and well he kind of reminds me of Riddler.

Michael Sheen as the Riddler could work, he's definitely talented enough to pull off the role,

Agreed, and he fit's the type of actor Nolan usually casts. If they do the Riddler though, I'm expecting more Seven John Doe than Rhyming prankster (like Carreys take).

I agree. I think the biggest challenge in doing the Riddler would be finding something niche for him to do, as opposed to being another version of the Joker.

I think overall it'd be highly possible for Depp to do the role. Especially after what everyone has done with their roles thus far in the series, this seems to be a role he'd take. Depp usually takes on roles where he almost gets a lot out of them, can bend and twist and create as an actor and do what he feels is necessary for the character, much like Ledger with the Joker. Now if he were to do this with the Riddler, they'd have to be very careful to make him more dangerous, a lot more intelligent and more clever than Ledger's Joker.

After the chaos created in The Dark Knight, the Riddler would have to be absolutely 100% on top of his game, much like Jigsaw from the Saw series, planning everything out, making sure he'd know what would happen for every scenario. Almost have him O.C.D. or something. That could be something I could see Depp doing, while also showing off a side of him that is relatively insane, where maybe he talks to himself or sees things, give him a quirky sort of nature to show the weaknesses from his incredible knack of intelligence.

He'd have to go after Batman, obviously, making him out to be some sort of angel of death, completely responsible for the death of Harvey Dent, the upbringing of the Joker, Scarecrow and the likes of the other criminal personalities beginning to show their faces in Gotham, and try and twist and turn everyone's opinions around in Gotham. Turn everybody against everybody, make nobody trust anyone, have the entire city on edge. Or have him be incredibly techno-savvy, hacking into everything that makes Gotham run and holding the city hostage. He needs to have a hand that would be almost impossible for Batman to defeat to make him descent in the eyes of the citizens of Gotham again.

If they do go somewhat that route, if the Riddler is even the next villain at all, it needs to be something that will trump what the Joker let loose in Dark Knight. Hopefully they do pick Riddler. At this point, I think he's one of the only villains that can take it a notch up from the Joker and have it work realistically and I think Depp is one of the only actors I can think of that could handle the task and fit in brilliantly with the rest of the cast Nolan has already established.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"