Cringeworthy Moments in Good Movies

The only line of Whedon's that made it into the movie. Bizarre.

Actually the line was out of context and wrong in the film. In the written script as it was intended it works. In the film with Hale Berry's delivery and in that context it was god awful. Even whedon acknowledges the stupidity of it.

- Goblin shouting "We'll meet again, SPIDER-MAAAAAAAAAAN!!!" in Spider-Man 1
- Aunt May's "Deliver us from EEEEEEEEEEVILLLLLLLL!!!!!!"

Lol aunt may's line is like something out of evil dead or army of darkness.

I loved The Goblin yelling that. It was such a classic comic book villain thing to do, and Willem Dafoes delivery was amazing. Totally cheesy of course, but it wouldn't have worked so well any other way.

Katie Holmes trying to act in BB. :o

Lots, if not all, romance-related moments in Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:
I'd say the arguing scene in Avengers. Half their arguments made no sense. If Captain America was actually a well written character he'd know that Tony Stark is actually a great man. Thor is just standing there and the only one who is actually right is Nick Fury but they all hate him. On top of all that stupidness, it all turns out to be fake. It's filmed horribly, just awful

:up:

I know I'll get some flack for this, but the Tantive scene at the end of Revenge of the Sith. Specifically, had they finished some of the delted scenes, but as it stands some parts come off weird, and others come off as completely out of nowehere.

"Bail: "I'll...take the girl. My wife and I have...always wanted a baby girl."

"And old friend has returned from the netherworld of the force."
"Qui-gon!"

How...how did you just get that Obi-wan? I guess the old friend line, but when you consider every one of their friends was pretty much dead, there may have been options.

In Silent Hill, I cringe every time I hear that "mother is god in the eyes of a child" line

They used a similar line in "The Crow" "Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children".

But that's what's so corny. A typical representation of the country in the WW2 era. I respect the character when thinking of him in the context which he was created in. But in reality, he is outdated, and really corny. I never understood how a solider would run around with red, white and blue and not become an easy target.

He is an easy target. He carries a shield for a reason you know.

capww2.jpg

1-Captainamerica1.jpg

You mean like this? He still has the American flag colors...

The most powerful military force in the world once dressed like this

Barry-Lyndon1.jpg

That's because he is a 1940s comic character. Its a part of who he is. In a time of tyrants and destruction people wanted that on the nose patriotism and absolute morals so we got Captain America. I hated the first CA film because of the on the nose corny stuff but once I accepted that this is a product of the times the character was introduced and that it is true to the character I accepted it. In the 21st century its corny but in the context of the character all this stuff is right. Ive come to love the CA film and Roger's story. Took me a while to come around but this character is just right.

This.

I had no interest in the character prior to CA. After CA, he ranks right up there with Supes in my list of favorite superheroes.

Like Coulson, I guess I like my heroes old fashioned.

I must say, that as much as I find it mediocre as a movie, CA:TFA made me respect the character more than before.

Almost every single time there is a serious scene with exposition in just about every Harry Potter movie. Radcliffe does this weird looking, head-shaking thing. It's strange.

Talia Arrrg "I am dying" Gul.
I still don't understand how this scene made it to the final cut, it was so bad.

The most powerful military force in the world once dressed like this

Barry-Lyndon1.jpg

Yeah... And Americans realized how stupid that was and stopped dressing like that, and defeated them. What's your point?

Spider-Man wasn't a soldier. LOL He swings around New York City. And he doesn't outright have an American Flag for a costume.

And...what's so 'lol' funny about that? He was a super soldier and product of the US. He enters battles having the resemblance of a flag like a flag-bearer of sorts.

Actually the line was out of context and wrong in the film. In the written script as it was intended it works. In the film with Hale Berry's delivery and in that context it was god awful. Even whedon acknowledges the stupidity of it.

Which doesn't make any sense to me. What context would that line work better? What delivery? The line is just dumb and I think Whedon was trying to save face by saying they did it wrong when in reality it just didn't work to begin with.

And...what's so 'lol' funny about that? He was a super soldier and product of the US. He enters battles having the resemblance of a flag like a flag-bearer of sorts.

You just answered your own question.

Now earlier we decided to move on from that discussion... BACK TO TOPIC.

And my answer is nothing wrong with the question, nor should be a reason to complain about the guy either, but yes, we can definitely move on.

Cringeworthy moments in good movies...always was bothered by how Superman dealt with Zod and his crew with that 'S' wrapper.

I loved The Goblin yelling that. It was such a classic comic book villain thing to do, and Willem Dafoes delivery was amazing. Totally cheesy of course, but it wouldn't have worked so well any other way.
i agree
:bow:

And my answer is nothing wrong with the question, nor should be a reason to complain about the guy either, but yes, we can definitely move on.

Cringeworthy moments in good movies...always was bothered by how Superman dealt with Zod and his crew with that 'S' wrapper.
:funny: That moment was hilarious.

Which doesn't make any sense to me. What context would that line work better? What delivery? The line is just dumb and I think Whedon was trying to save face by saying they did it wrong when in reality it just didn't work to begin with.

Because it was supposed to go, "Do you know what happens when a toad is electrocuted?" *toad electrocuted* Then it would cut to a closer shot on Berry "The same thing that happens to everything else." muttered dry and emotionless under the breath. David Boreanaz had lines like that in Angel and Buffy and they worked fine. Its meant to be a deadpan delivery calling the antagonist a dumbass instead Berry in her infinite wisdon belted the line with this cocky delivery and it just killed it. Its one of those lines that has to be delivered in a certain way and be broken up in a certain way. The way it was arranged and delivered in xmen wasnt right. Had Whedon been directing that scene it would have been fine. Actually had Whedon been directing hr would have strangled Halle Berry before they got the right take.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"