Civil War Crossbones

Don't really have strong feelings one way or another on Grillo, he's decent but I haven't seen him in anything challenging really.

Coster-Waldau and Holloway for other roles, on the other hand, are possibilities that excite me.

Yep. I'm thinking that intensity's what they're going to go for with Crossbones, rather than the comic's bulked-up version.

Now, if they can just announce Sharon and whatever role(s) Waldau/Holloway were testing for I'll be happy - I strongly doubt either one was up for 'Bones.

Grillo sold me in The Grey and Warrior, and those were pretty challenging roles, especially The Grey. He's in Bigelow's Bin Laden movie too. But what I've seen of him, he's not playing it safe, IMO.

Last edited:
Apologies if this got posted.

Joe Carnahan tweeted this recently. Very cool.

Joe Carnahan ‏@carnojoe
A friend of a friend who witnessed @FrankGrillo's Marvel screen test in person said 'He made the other actors look like extras...'

pretty excited about this, really. he doesn't have to be huge, just mean. Hope his outfit is close to this -

87226_36472_crossbones.jpg

I'd be surprised if it didn't look close to that. He's got one of the easier comic costumes to translate to film.

I liked him in The Grey. Don't know how that will translate to him being Crossbones, but excited to see how they adapt him.

His official powers and abilities via Wiki -

Although Crossbones does not have any superhuman powers, he is still a very dangerous combatant; he kills lesser superheroes and villains with ease and has gone toe-to-toe with Captain America on a number of occasions. Crossbones is one of the world's best hand-to-hand combatants, with extensive training in street-fighting, military combatives, various forms of martial arts, and is a student of the Taskmaster. Physically, Crossbones is tall and very heavily muscled, but moves with an athletic grace uncommon for a man of his bulk. He is a skilled pilot and driver. In addition, he's an expert marksman with guns, bows, and throwing knives. Crossbones usually arms himself with a fighting knife and a small collapsible crossbow, and various throwing daggers, and spring-loaded stiletto blades in his gauntlets. He also has some experience with torture and brainwashing, having effectively "reprogrammed" Sin,[volume & issue needed] and nearly so with Diamondback.[volume & issue needed]
As a member of the Thunderbolts, Crossbones was exposed to corrupted Terrigen Mists during a mission,[28] and shortly after manifested the ability to generate a circle of energy in front of his face which could fire energy beams capable of piercing and burning his targets.[29] The ability developed to the point where flames engulfed the entirety of his head while still allowing him to fire focused energy beams,[30] though these flames could seemingly be doused in water. While his power is active, Crossbones does not appear to be entirely impervious to the flames he generates; after the flames died following his first usage, his mask appeared to have been burnt away and his face was heavily scarred.[31]

Kind of want to have an unknown actor playing him.

I saw Frank Grillo in Mother's Day (which is a fu**ed up movie and I loved every single minute of it) and I thought he did a good job so congrats to him getting the Crossbones role.

I'd like to see Holt McCallany play him.

I loved him in Men Of Honor, The Losers, and Lights Out. The guy's awesome and needs more mainstream work!

After my theead for The Ghost led to nothing I have a winner here! :D

I saw Frank Grillo in Mother's Day (which is a fu**ed up movie and I loved every single minute of it) and I thought he did a good job so congrats to him getting the Crossbones role.

He was the husband, right? (movie was a lot better than I expected)

I loved him in Men Of Honor, The Losers, and Lights Out. The guy's awesome and needs more mainstream work!

Telling ya man, Holt needs to play the Punisher. I know Marvel has screwed the pooch on that character with THREE terrible movies, but if they ever give Frank Castle a fair shot again, Holt is the perfect actor for the job.

Lol, short of seeing him in The Grey, I didn't know who he was. Liked his character in that, so I can only guess he'll give ol' Xbones a solid interpretation. He genuinely seems excited about getting the role, so that can only help his performance.

He was also in Prison Break (I can't believe I recognized him).

Frank Grillo To Reprise ‘Crossbones’ Role In Marvel's THE AVENGERS Sequel?

Before we received confirmation that actor Frank Grillo is joining Marvel's anticipated sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, comedian and radio host Matthew Aaron had first revealed a week earlier that the End of Watch actor was testing for the villain Brock Rumlow, Crossbones. Well, during a recent episode of Matthew Aaron's radio show, the host personally called up Frank Grillo, who was in the middle of filming Homefront, to congratulate him on landing the villainous role. And attempting to verify his “sources,” Aaron asked Grillo was he making more Crossbones appearances after Captain America: The Winter Soldier, to which Frank modestly confirmed.

“Yeah, it's a good run,” Frank Grillo said. But that's not all. After Grillo left the chat to “finish beating Jason Statham's ass,” for the Homefront filming, Matthew Aaron said that one of the upcoming films that Crossbones will appear in, is Joss Whedon's anticipated Marvel's The Avengers sequel. And that is according to Matthew Aaron's same “Marvel rat” that told him about Frank Grillo testing for the role. Aaron added that Grillo will apparently portray Crossbones in three films total, with the third Captain America movie presumably being his final one.

Source: http://www.thematthewaaronshow.com/2012/10/26/ep-129-eli-roth-michael-j-bassett-wed-1031-6pm-pt/

(Credit to MarvelFreshman)

Crossbones is a bit small-time for The Avengers, unless he's working as some bigger villain's lackey.

I wonder if, similar to Black Widow's intro in The Avengers where the Russian villain was only in that one sequence, could Crossbones only be a part of Cap's intro in The Avengers sequel. Maybe he's on some mission up against Crossbones that doesn't have much to do with the remainder of the movie.

I still think Crossbones works best as Skully's hench, so I could def see him returning for a Red Skull redux in Cap 3 (or even Avengers 3). But not much of anything else. If TA2 is about Thanos, as most fingers point to, then Brock is hopelessly outclassed and would have nothing to do in that cosmic throwdown except die like cannon fodder. Maybe an Avengers that features the MoE, I could see.

Perhaps Thanos is pulling the strings and uses the Masters as a diversion for The Avengers so they don't interfere with his plans, until the end when all hell breaks loose.

I was doing a search for the Masters of Evil on Yahoo images and found this image with Crossbones in it. Now I know he is not an original member, but has he been affiliated with them in the comics or is this image not really related to the Masters of Evil as my search suggested? Link below.

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/c/50/4badfd60662e6/detail.jpg

Thanks!

Surfer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"