The Dark Knight Crowd Reaction in Austria

screena

Civilian
Reaction score
sorry for the new thread, i thought it would be interesting since TDK hit our cinemas 3 days ago.

first i have to say, that the audience did not seem to be very "hyped", they were rather curious. they have heared all the news about tdk smashing the box office, but most of them thought, this was only because of ledgers death. most peolpe were VERY sceptical about this hype and believe me, most of them did not expect to actually see a good movie.

i have seen it three times in cinema now, the main reaction was always the same: the people were surprised that this movie is actually really good. the audience was overwhelmed and most people already went to see it a second time. i think this movie is going to have legs :yay:

there are no bo numbers out now (well, it is not even saturday yet), but i went to my cinema on wednesday, thursday and friday and there were 4 sold out screenings every day which is quite amazing.

i want to say one more thing i noticed:
i remember that there was quite a buzz going on on this boards when tdk was released in the us about wheter batman had to take dents fall or not. people seemed to be quite disturbed by the end of the movie and they articulated their wish for batman getting his reputation back in the next sequel.

not so the audience in austria: i talked to a lot of people after the movie, and everybody was literally satisfied with the last few scenes. people were really happy and euphoric because in their opinion batman finally was the dark knight at the end. maybe it was the german synchronisation, but as far as i can tell it was very close to the words that were used in english to describe why batman had to do what he did. actually, after rewatching the movie several times in english i really begin to wonder why this debate started in the first place. the whole movie sets this ending up.

oh, one more thing:wow: that might be interesting:
nobody believed that harvey is dead, everybody thinks he will return in the next film. i told everybody that he IS in fact dead and that he will NOT return from what we know so far and guess what...nobody believed me:whatever:

i hope this was kind of interesting for you, maybe some people from other countries could post some crowd reactions too...

Probably one of the reasons for such reactions in Europe is that they don't really expect good movies to come out of America. They expect commercially successful movies, but not good ones.

What did they have at the concession stand wienerschnitzel and strudel?

What did they have at the concession stand wienerschnitzel and strudel?
haha, no, actually they have an american diner since two weeks or so. i had to eat pancakes everyday because i´m vegetarian:woot:

Probably one of the reasons for such reactions in Europe is that they don't really expect good movies to come out of America. They expect commercially successful movies, but not good ones.
na, as i said, i think people were just really sceptical about all the hype.

out of my ten favourite movies nine are american movies. but of course it is true that there was quite a big amount of bs hitting our cinemas the last few months (*cough* x "the head that lived on" files *cough*):cwink:

They didn't see Batman Begins? :O

1. bb box office was in fact really underwhelming (not only in austria as far as i know).

2. in the opinion of most people tdk is a far better movie than bb.
also, the people who have seen bb kind of expected a bb clone, which tdk was not.

1. bb box office was in fact really underwhelming (not only in austria as far as i know).

2. in the opinion of most people tdk is a far better movie than bb.
also, the people who have seen bb kind of expected a bb clone, which tdk was not.
bb did very well on dvd sales and was shown twice on ORF (austrian television) already, both times with big audience ratings. so I really don´t understand your point here. bb is well known in austria and no one I know didn´t love it.
(although there are a few friends of mine who still refuse to see tdk because of b&r)

(although there are a few friends of mine who still refuse to see tdk because of b&r)

:wow: would you please tell them that they are stupid (you can quote me) and tdk is a MUST SEE!!!:cwink:

greetings to you btw, where are you from?

:wow: would you please tell them that they are stupid (you can quote me) and tdk is a MUST SEE!!!:cwink:

greetings to you btw, where are you from?
I already told them.
and... vienna (as you can see in my profile)
if you´re anywhere near: I´m going to see DK tonight for the 4th time at the Gartenbau (with a big group, approx. 20 people), consider this an invitation

I heard everyone in Austria was locked up in cellars or something, is th at true?

-TNC

I wouldn't really say this is true, now, I don't know where you come from, but Europe is more americanized than most may think.

Besides, looking at the top crew, TDK is basically a european film anyway :oldrazz:

Well here in Bulgaria, most of the people thought that TDK is Batman 6 (really they didn't knew BB & TDK have nothing to do with the old series)...

WOW!? It's only just come out in Austria?? I would have been pulling my hair out in anticipation. I've seen this film in IMAX 3 times now and regular cinema 3 times as well. IMAX is seriously the way to go and Nolan must direct the third, and either more of it in IMAX or entirely in IMAX! Of all the superheroes Batman gets the most of the IMAX format first which is seriously a big win.

i want to say one more thing i noticed:
i remember that there was quite a buzz going on on this boards when tdk was released in the us about wheter batman had to take dents fall or not. people seemed to be quite disturbed by the end of the movie and they articulated their wish for batman getting his reputation back in the next sequel.

Throughout the film, it was continually suggested that the bad guys in Gotham are wise to his act - batman's 1 rule: no killing. They see this as a weakness, and some, like Maroni aren't afraid of batman because Maroni knows Batman isn't a killer.

At the end of the movie, the criminals of gotham now think maybe batman does kill criminals, making him an unpredictable vigilante. It's important for batman to appear to be unpredictable, and a very smart way the writers turned this element of the character around. It's both a blessing and a curse for the batman in the end.

WOW!? It's only just come out in Austria?? I would have been pulling my hair out in anticipation. I've seen this film in IMAX 3 times now and regular cinema 3 times as well. IMAX is seriously the way to go and Nolan must direct the third, and either more of it in IMAX or entirely in IMAX! Of all the superheroes Batman gets the most of the IMAX format first which is seriously a big win.

There is no IMAX in Austria...
everytime they tried to establish one it lasted for about half a year. they only showed documentaries anyway

I already told them.
and... vienna (as you can see in my profile)
if you´re anywhere near: I´m going to see DK tonight for the 4th time at the Gartenbau (with a big group, approx. 20 people), consider this an invitation
well, thanks for the invitation, too bad i had a nightshift:brucebat:

Throughout the film, it was continually suggested that the bad guys in Gotham are wise to his act - batman's 1 rule: no killing. They see this as a weakness, and some, like Maroni aren't afraid of batman because Maroni knows Batman isn't a killer.

At the end of the movie, the criminals of gotham now think maybe batman does kill criminals, making him an unpredictable vigilante. It's important for batman to appear to be unpredictable, and a very smart way the writers turned this element of the character around. It's both a blessing and a curse for the batman in the end.

that really explains how good the ending actually was and how there were multiple reasons for batman to do what he did.

bb did very well on dvd sales and was shown twice on ORF (austrian television) already, both times with big audience ratings. so I really don´t understand your point here. bb is well known in austria and no one I know didn´t love it.

that's a bit silly, on their part, isn't it?

Well here in Bulgaria, most of the people thought that TDK is Batman 6 (really they didn't knew BB & TDK have nothing to do with the old series)...

Yup, that's so. You have to explain that all the time.

P.S. Не очаквах да срещна сънародник тук :oldrazz:

Yup, that's so. You have to explain that all the time.

P.S. Не очаквах да срещна сънародник тук :oldrazz:

and hell, it´s the f***ing batman, and there has been quite some time between the movies...so it is no surprise that nobody even noticed the hulk-reboot (not even the media sometimes), and the same will happen to the superman reboot.

There is no IMAX in Austria...
everytime they tried to establish one it lasted for about half a year. they only showed documentaries anyway

CRAP there is no IMAX in Vienna?? I was just thinking that I could go and see TDK in there... I live in Slovakia, (TDK opened like a month agoin here :oldrazz:) we have no IMAX anymore either:csad:

I can't believe that the premier of The Dark Knight was on the 20th of August in Austria while here in Belgrade it was on the 20th of July. You're waaaay ahead of us in every way, but... this is unbelievable. I have seen the film 6 times already. Just doing my part, a little contribution for the sequel ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"