Daredevil reboot in the near future?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by ChukNoris, Mar 17, 2013.

1. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

Hmm, let's see...

Daredevil and The Punisher are obvious candidates, as is Agent Carter. Is the Hulk TV show still on the cards? I kinda doubt it but you never know. Also, wasn't there an Alias (Jessica Jones) show in development at one point?

2. Energist

Energist Censored

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll be majorly bummed if Daredevil gets the television series treatment instead of a film. If it were going to be done in the vein of Breaking Bad or Sopranos, then maybe I'd give it a shot, but with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. being as it is, I doubt that's what we'd get. It'll probably be closer to Ally McBeal than Law and Order. And regardless, I just think a film franchise would be so much more epic, which is what the character really deserves.

3. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

Except that a movie would inevitably neglect one part of DD's persona in favor of the other. Either they'd focus on the superhero part, or the lawyer part (probably the former). A TV show gives time to focus on BOTH and develop the supporting cast like Foggy, Karen, Ben Urich, and maybe even Elektra. I'd be more like Arrow than AOS.

4. Energist

Energist Censored

Arrow's sub-par, too. Better than S.H.I.E.L.D., but still nowhere near a Breaking Bad, which is the level that a television series about Daredevil should be shooting for.

And as far as film versus television goes, I doubt anyone would have preferred an Arrow-quality Batman series over the Nolan films. Likewise, Daredevil shouldn't be left to the realm of mediocre television when a proper film franchise could be brilliant.

5. Loki882

Asking for ANY show to try and reach Breaking Bad levels of greatness is wildly unrealistic, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. BB is a lightning in a bottle situation that only happens very rarely. Also, Arrow is definitely not sub-par, I'm actually shocked at how good it is.

6. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Yeah, just because not every show is Breaking Bad, which no show is besides Breaking Bad, doesn not mean it's subpar. Breaking Bad was the right story with right story teller to make it possibly the best television show ever. This is a completely different story with a completely different audience. You can't expect SHIELD or Arrow OR Daredevil to reach the same heights as that because their stories simply aren't designed to.

7. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

I agree, unless we get a Showtime/HBO-type series that could do the character justice. Something on AMC, Netflicks or Showtime seems like a possibility judging by the press release for the proposed 4 new shows. The fact that Marvel is looking beyond the restrictions of network television is excitng. A DD series on ABC would be dead on arrival.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  8. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

A quality Daredevil TV can show can be made without necessarily NEEDING to hit the heights of the golden age crop of shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Deadwood. There's a whole lot of qualitative range between your run-of-the-mill procedurals like Law & Order, CSI, NCIS and something like Breaking Bad.

A Daredevil show that's similar in quality to shows like Justified, The Shield, The Bridge, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, etc. would be more than satisfactory. Something like this would be superior to 95% of the movies that get produced these days.

That's pretty much why (see my previous post) I thought Damages would serve as a nice template for a Daredevil show in terms of structure.

9. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

My thoughts exactly. And you could add FX to that list.

10. SeanGerberMMM

SeanGerberMMM Member

If a live-action Daredevil revival is destined to begin on television, then a Netflix original series would be a great option. With shorter seasons that are released all at once, the potential is there for more focused, 10 to 13-episode story arcs that are reflective of the serialized storytelling of the comics.

If the potential for a jump to the MCU is there, it will be easier to cast a more credible star in the lead.

11. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

If/when DD gets his chance on the screen again there is one scene from the comics that I would really like to see in live action.
    It's from Millers' run where Bullseye has gone crazy and taken 2 old men as hostages, one of them with a bad cough. So DD sits on top of a building and going through all different sounds in the city trying to find the cough.
    i don't know why but I think it would be cool to see.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I actually think TV is a much better fit for DD and the Punisher than films are.

13. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Yeah, I would agree with you there.

What do you guys think about Gemma chan playing Electra? I reckon she would be brilliant

[​IMG]

14. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I want Elektra to look Greek for once. It's not like they've already tried that and now should try something different. Jennifer Garner didn't look Greek at all. So no to Gemma Chan.

I think they got the wrong sister from Alias to play as Elektra. Should've maybe gotten Mia Maestro instead. They could still get her now.

[​IMG]

15. Frico

Frico The Man Without Fear

Agreed with this - especially for DD. I just see a lot of great ways to approach it and he has the stories/villains to back it up. Of course I'd like to see a DD film from Marvel but there's no denying he'd be a natural fit for TV.

Marvel just announced a new Punisher book - so there definitely may be plans in store for him. Frank is heading from NY to LA...Possible hint for the future?

16. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

I think Daredevil on TV has so much potential. He has had many great arcs over the years. As for Punisher, just use shows like Dexter as a basis for what a Punisher show should be, and you have struck gold.

17. Loki882

You comparing Punisher to Dexter is actually kind of ironic. Zeb Wells is writing a new Elektra book and he says that she will be the "Dexter of Assassins."

18. Mr. Dent

...I don't think they should model Punisher after Dexter.

19. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

She looks the part.
    I agree they need to make sure Elektra plays and looks Greek this time, but I'd be happy with even a Latina or an Italian or Middle-Eastern actress in the role. Hell, I could even see Alexa Vega play Natchios, as long as she goes back to black hair instead of blonde.

20. Dark Raven

She is actually a latina. She's argentinian but she looks like how Elektra should look. She played alongside Garner in Alias as her half sister which is why I said Fox picked the wrong sister.

21. seahammer

seahammer Asgardian

22. Mr. Dent

This quote really solidifies to me that Daredevil is a part of that TV package.

23. gohei_

Yeah I get that vibe as well. Did they give any kind of timeline for when the new shows would come along?

24. Dark Raven

But then we also get simultaneous quotes like these from Kevin Feige on Daredevil:

And that seems to suggest they might want to make a film with him rather than a TV series but aren't planning to do anything for a few years.

25. gohei_

Hmm. I guess there are pros and cons for both a movie and a tv show, but a tv show will always mean more character building and what not so I'm probably hoping more towards the tv route.