Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Dat J. August Richards Thread

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
Who's he playing? Will he recur?

[Lots of Luke Cage speculation to follow :hehe:]

Even if he's not Luke Cage I'm just glad he's playing a superhuman and (most likely) an existing Marvel character.

tumblr_mmp0y1mlgt1sochcgo8_250.gif

Yeah, I'm seeing Cage at this point... I think this show is pulling everything from the MCU TV Shows that never were, from Jessica Jones to Mockingbird to Cloak and Dagger. Luke Cage is just one of those things...

If he's an established dude he's gotta be Cage. Black and yellow color scheme lends to that theory.

At the moment I'm not ruling out super strong Shield recruit tho.

Last edited:
I really think it's Luke Cage. Even the color scheme fits.

I wonder if this will lead into the Heroes for Hire showing up on the show.

It makes more sense that he would be Rage than Luke Cage. Nothing against Richards, but I think that Marvel would want someone with a bit more gravitas to play Luke Cage.

Last edited:
Maybe he's not playing anyone famous? He could be a new character or even a sleeper agent?

Maybe he's not playing anyone famous? He could be a new character or even a sleeper agent?

If his not Luke Cage and this show is just filled up with new characters not from the comics then i have already lost interest in this show. But i am pretty sure that was Luke Cage, I cant think of any other Black Marvel superhero that could jump from a building and destroy the ground he lands on.

Assuming he's not a completely new character --- and I say that because of the fact that Richards' role was declared "top secret" --- then I'd say he's playing Rage, not Cage. (lyrical rhymester)

Every Marvel movie trailer so far opens with a quick montage of the character(s) who are in that movie, set against the Marvel logo. Guess who's in the opening montage of the Agents of SHIELD trailer....?

Rage.

Last edited:
My hope is that Richards is Rage at this point, mostly because I am still holding out hope that they get someone on the level of Terry Crews for Luke Cage.

Just keep in mind that Cage was always planned for TV (and thus a TV actor) even way back when the Jessica Jones series was being planned. Also, on the Marvel montage, it's the same exact montage from the Avengers movie, and other MCU films as well. It does not indicate content like the special ones they make for FF, Spider-Man and sometimes Iron Man.

It's probably Cage, a somewhat solo character that's not likely to get a movie, but still has a lot of appeal rather than Rage, an always team character that has zero public appeal. Plus, there's enough to deal with figuring out the explosion and who this guy is, you don't wanna have to deal with a 30 year old man with the mind of a 13 year old.

And I love Patriot... but Patriot can't do that...

shield_020_zps4b4700e0.png

No mask. Regardless, whether it's Cage, Rage, or a new character, he serves the same purpose in the story. Who is this guy, how does he deal with his powers, what are we going to do with him, is he responsible for this fire? Etcetera.

Gotta be Patriot. Way too small to be Luke Cage...

EDIT: In fact, I'm actually rather excited at the prospect of him being Patriot. Not sure how they'll have him get his powers, but it would be great if he has this enormous respect and admiration for Captain America (hence why he calls himself Patriot)...which could even make for an interesting relationship between him and Coulson, who is of course a Cap-fan himself!

Last edited:
Gotta be Patriot. Way too small to be Luke Cage...

EDIT: In fact, I'm actually rather excited at the prospect of him being Patriot. Not sure how they'll have him get his powers, but it would be great if he has this enormous respect and admiration for Captain America (hence why he calls himself Patriot)...which could even make for an interesting relationship between him and Coulson, who is of course a Cap-fan himself!

But then people will just call him Blacktain America =(

Just keep in mind that Cage was always planned for TV (and thus a TV actor) even way back when the Jessica Jones series was being planned. Also, on the Marvel montage, it's the same exact montage from the Avengers movie, and other MCU films as well. It does not indicate content like the special ones they make for FF, Spider-Man and sometimes Iron Man.

It's probably Cage, a somewhat solo character that's not likely to get a movie, but still has a lot of appeal rather than Rage, an always team character that has zero public appeal. Plus, there's enough to deal with figuring out the explosion and who this guy is, you don't wanna have to deal with a 30 year old man with the mind of a 13 year old.

And I love Patriot... but Patriot can't do that...

Marvel has been planning a Luke Cage movie in some fashion for even longer than the aka Jessica Jones TV pilot that never got off the ground. In fact, the latest update on that was a few days ago when THR reported that Marvel Studios has quietly bought back Blade, Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Power Man within the last year.

And again: The Marvel intro logo to this trailer shows Rage. Clearly.

He isn't shown wearing the luchador mask yet, but he may well put it on later in the show (I'm assuming everything here is from the pilot? They haven't filmed any other episodes yet, right?)

And again: The same exact Marvel intro logo shows in front of Avengers and other MCU films, clearly. It's not a content indicator like the modified ones for Spidey or Iron Man. It's just the standard Marvel bumper now, created when the series was just a faint dream in the back of Whedon's head. This was pointed out immediately when someone posted this discovery to Twitter.

Good point, that Luke Cage has been mentioned for movies before. The most recent stuff is for TV though, and there's no indication that they've gone back to prospects of making a movie for him. Notice he didn't come up in the recent potential MCU films announcement - probably because he's no longer a potential film. So either they have TV plans for him, or none at all.

And again: The same exact Marvel intro logo shows in front of Avengers and other MCU films, clearly. It's not a content indicator like the modified ones for Spidey or Iron Man. It's just the standard Marvel bumper now, created when the series was just a faint dream in the back of Whedon's head. This was pointed out immediately when someone posted this discovery to Twitter.

Uh....no, it isn't. Each Marvel bumper has a different selection of comic book panels flashing by in montage. Avengers had panels from Avenger comics; CATFA had panels from Cap comics; Thor from Thor, IM from IM, and so on. The one for "Agents of SHIELD" shows Rage, and it hasn't been used in any of the other movie trailers, afaik. I challenge you or anyone else to provide a link proving otherwise.

Good point, that Luke Cage has been mentioned for movies before. The most recent stuff is for TV though, and there's no indication that they've gone back to prospects of making a movie for him. Notice he didn't come up in the recent potential MCU films announcement - probably because he's no longer a potential film. So either they have TV plans for him, or none at all.

I'd be willing to bet that Luke Cage, either solo or teamed up for HFH, is still a feature film possibility for MS. There's a LOT of black actors, ranging from unknowns all the way up to megastars, who've tossed their hat into that ring. Cage is a potentially lucrative film franchise, and Marvel/Disney are going to want to get the most bang for their buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"