Dating sites...?

Alos anyone using dating sites, Grammar and spelling is important "Dought tawlk like dis" or email them "hi how r u? They will just delete your email.

this. i hate this.

My love life is...non existent, and dating sites to meet people as friends or more has been something that wasn't on my list, but was thought about, but only the free ones. Recently, I took a look at okcupid, and was shocked to see someone I knew on there. I never wanted to ask her about it, but it led to me to finally talk about these sites and ask if I should join one or more.

There's okcupid, is that a good site (even with someone I knew on there)? Are there others good or better than it, and that are free?

Let me know

All I can say is if you get what you pay for. If you are willing to spend some money (4 digits) a professional dating service like Great Expectations might be the way to go. They screen their members and you can choose from a library of candidates based on a profile (a resume if you would want to call it that). You can even get to see a video interview of the candidate before you choose to pick them.

All I can say is if you get what you pay for. If you are willing to spend some money (4 digits) a professional dating service like Great Expectations might be the way to go. They screen their members and you can choose from a library of candidates based on a profile (a resume if you would want to call it that). You can even get to see a video interview of the candidate before you choose to pick them.

That's all very well, but what if none of the candidates you'd like to meet are remotely interested in you? I've used a couple of pay sites and after running through everyone I can find who I'd find suitable, attractive or interesting I've then gone for people who are much less suitable and there's not even any physical attraction or that much in comon. I've done this to see if they would even respond. A lot still don't and those that have tend to prove mostly unsuitable as suspected in the first place.

Now I'm not saying that it's all in vain, but after a while you will start feeling like you're wasting your money if you can't at least get some results. For some people (especially those who are very attractive) they seem to generate many more responses than those who are average or below average. It almost seems then that these sites favour the attractive. Those who have, get more.

I find that the best way to see if you have chemistry is if you both like each others profile pick and the eventual phone conversation is interesting and maybe even addictive. If the first date is somewhat fun then you might have something.

That's all very well, but what if none of the candidates you'd like to meet are remotely interested in you? I've used a couple of pay sites and after running through everyone I can find who I'd find suitable, attractive or interesting I've then gone for people who are much less suitable and there's not even any physical attraction or that much in comon. I've done this to see if they would even respond. A lot still don't and those that have tend to prove mostly unsuitable as suspected in the first place.

Now I'm not saying that it's all in vain, but after a while you will start feeling like you're wasting your money if you can't at least get some results. For some people (especially those who are very attractive) they seem to generate many more responses than those who are average or below average. It almost seems then that these sites favour the attractive. Those who have, get more.
That's how it works on free sites too, no? :funny:

And of course attractive people tend to be more popular on dating sites. What's so surprising about that? :huh: You mostly have to sift through enough people until you find someone who finds you attractive and thinks on your wavelength. My stickliness, booblessness, and buggy eyes aren't attractive to a majority of men, but my dude finds them all beautiful. Bless his heart. :funny:

out of curiousity for the guys who use the sites, what do you like to read in a female profile?
You know as much as I do, that it depends what kind of guy you want to attract. :cwink:

out of curiousity for the guys who use the sites, what do you like to read in a female profile?

Most guys just scan for hot profile pics then go from there. :o

But guys who want a sweet girlfriend will check out a profile pic with a girl with a pretty smile. I suggest your verbal profile be honest without seeming too psycho or desperate.

There are dating profile experts who will improve your profile for a fee. I think they can boost your number of suitors by a wide margin (based on news segment I saw). That is if you have some spare cash and time. I'm not sure how much it cost but I would think an in person service would be more helpful than an online one.

Most guys just scan for hot profile pics then go from there. :o

But guys who want a sweet girlfriend will check out a profile pic with a girl with a pretty smile. I suggest your verbal profile be honest without seeming too psycho or desperate.

There are dating profile experts who will improve your profile for a fee. I think they can boost your number of suitors by a wide margin (based on news segment I saw). That is if you have some spare cash and time. I'm not sure how much it cost but I would think an in person service would be more helpful than an online one.
Really? I have a way to boost a woman's number of suitors for FREE. Wear a low-cut top or short bottoms. Both at once will increase the number of suitors exponentially. :funny:

I'd rather stay single than join a dating site. I don't care about being single. If it happens it happens, I'm not going to go out of my way to get a girlfriend. Just my personal views. But then again I'm only 18, so i have plenty of time
18 so you haven't gone to university yet? You'll probably change your tune if you go through uni and don't end up with a partner. Unless you continue on to graduate work. :funny:

Either that or post-college, you're a social butterfly constantly coming into contact with new people not through work. :oldrazz: It's really difficult for a full-time working introvert to meet people to date. We simply don't get out enough. The introverts I know who didn't find their partners through dating sites met their partners at school.

You know as much as I do, that it depends what kind of guy you want to attract. :cwink:

yep.

but since someone brought up stats about more men being on the sites than women, and this being a site where we're outnumbered like 10:1 i figured i'd get some convo rolling by asking the guys here what draws them in.

yep.

but since someone brought up stats about more men being on the sites than women, and this being a site where we're outnumbered like 10:1 i figured i'd get some convo rolling by asking the guys here what draws them in.
That implies that you want a SHHer as a boyfriend, or more specifically, a boyfriend who thinks like a SHHer. :o

And no offense, if I'd listened to the opinions of most guys here, I would have given up and become a crazy cat lady, because I have nothing up top. :oldrazz:

Yeah if you are 18 or in your early 20's a dating site is not exactly high on your priority list because you are still in the process of building a social life with school or starting your career. But once you start to hit your mid or late twenties and you still have that feeling of being lonely not having met the one and everyone you know is getting married/having kids...it sucks...haha. But I still maintain dating sites are a waste of time for the most part. Yeah you see some people saying they met their now fiance on one but even them themselves consider themselves lucky because it really is a needle in the haystack search IMO. You just need to get out there and meet new people strike up conversations being genuinely interested in getting to know them and hopefully you will meet someone you click with enough.

There are some stereotypes that became occurances on dating sites..

(Girls who leave the state frequently.) who wants to date someone who "Loves to travel" Which means they aint gonna be around long enough to even try and start something up.

(The girl on the rebound) girls who just broke up with there boyfriends looking to date some new guy to escape there feelings.
Which isnt fair to the new guy!

(The girl lying about being single) girls on these sites that are in co-dependent relationships, theyre looking to date other people behind there boyfriends back to get even or hurt his feelings, which is fair to No One.

(The girl hiding something) be it being bipolar, a drug addict, or any other mental illness, they are keeping from people they are about to meet off the internet.

(the girl with the misleading photos) they look one way in there pictures and you end up meeting them in person they look like a completley different person altogether.

(the girl who is the attention ****e) only on dating sites to boost her self esteem and not really going to meet anyone for a date.

(the girl whos a fake picture) this can be scary someone posting photos thats not them and talking on the phone pretending to be someone they are not.

Dating websites like Okcupid and plenty of fish is a huge gamble.

Why do you think the majority of these people are dating online? Be it woman or man, They are the Unwanted. They arent good in relationships, they fall into the catagories listed above^

Last edited:
^
It's surprising that there is still this type of stigma about online dating.

Why do you think the majority of these people are dating online? Be it woman or man, They are the Unwanted. They arent good in relationships, they fall into the catagories listed above^

They could be society's rejects...

Or maybe they just want to meet a person outside their social circles since the world has billions of possibly superior matches for them. :huh:

Plus a women can look through hundreds of suitors in a single week online. How many does she get the typical week walking around town? Maybe a dozen if she's hot?

Really? I have a way to boost a woman's number of suitors for FREE. Wear a low-cut top or short bottoms. Both at once will increase the number of suitors exponentially. :funny:

Yeah I was going to address that.

If the female dresses like a skank she's going to attract shallow guys who are planning to hit it and quit it.

Unless that's what the female is looking for, then by all means, have at it.

The thing I find most difficult about online dating sites is that people have to make a quick decision whether or not they even think the other person is compatible, often based just on the person's picture, or going by the profile. However, in real life people aren't necessarily weeding others out as soon as they meet someone else (unless it's a specific singles-oriented event) because you might not even be meeting that person in those kinds of circumstances. If say, it's someone you work with or see regularly at a particular place, you might just strike up a conversation and get to know them, and then find out they have things in common or that there is a certain chemistry.

Even for all the things one can list on a profile that makes someone seem to have lots of things in common with another, in person you can find that in fact you really have very little in common, and that the so-called "common ground" is rather incidental. On paper someone can look very good but in person it can be a completely different matter.

For me personally, I always check to see if she's a smoker first, If she is, I click off the profile and by pass her. It's a deal breaker, so why bother readin what she has to say?

2) Is she positive in her profile? Too much negativity is a turn off..tell me what you love to do, not what you hate.

3) Does she say "I'm looking for Mr Right/Prince Charming/My Knight in shining armor! That tells me she's living in a fantasy world and to avoid at all costs.

4) How tall is she? Is she overweight? if so by how much? I don't mind a little junk in the trunk but if she's 400 pounds, that just tells me she's a food addict, Avoid.

5) What movies does she like? I check her taste in films and if it's filled with Adam Sandler comedies and stupid horror movies...Avoid.

Overall, I look for something I can try and connect to her with if I find her somewhat attractive

I've had success with datemyschool.com. It's only for college students so no weirdos/low lifes usually.

They could be society's rejects...

Or maybe they just want to meet a person outside their social circles since the world has billions of possibly superior matches for them. :huh:

Plus a women can look through hundreds of suitors in a single week online. How many does she get the typical week walking around town? Maybe a dozen if she's hot?
Also, if I need to find someone with low self esteem and father issues, I don't need to go online. :huh:

The thing I find most difficult about online dating sites is that people have to make a quick decision whether or not they even think the other person is compatible, often based just on the person's picture, or going by the profile. However, in real life people aren't necessarily weeding others out as soon as they meet someone else (unless it's a specific singles-oriented event) because you might not even be meeting that person in those kinds of circumstances. If say, it's someone you work with or see regularly at a particular place, you might just strike up a conversation and get to know them, and then find out they have things in common or that there is a certain chemistry.

Even for all the things one can list on a profile that makes someone seem to have lots of things in common with another, in person you can find that in fact you really have very little in common, and that the so-called "common ground" is rather incidental. On paper someone can look very good but in person it can be a completely different matter.

I'm not certain but I think the same problem of dismissing someone purely based on their appearance happens off-line also. But at least online you don't have to weed out the females who find you mildly attractive and are willing to push it further. And here's the kicker, if this female is willing to give you a chance, she can message you without any awkward situations and you can respond at your own discretion without much trouble.

I'm surprised more people don't date online. I guess it's the silly stigma. But you would think people would jump at the chance to screen potentially thousands of suitors without much risk of personal, face-to-face rejection or disappointment.

I'm not certain but I think the same problem of dismissing someone purely based on their appearance happens off-line also. But at least online you don't have to weed out the females who find you mildly attractive and are willing to push it further. And here's the kicker, if this female is willing to give you a chance, she can message you without any awkward situations and you can respond at your own discretion without much trouble.

I'm surprised more people don't date online. I guess it's the silly stigma. But you would think people would jump at the chance to screen potentially thousands of suitors without much risk of personal, face-to-face rejection or disappointment.

Oh, I'm sure it does, especially if people are on the hunt in a bar or nightclub or singles event or wherever. If people are in that mode, then sure they will definitely dismiss people as potential dating partners. But if you're in a neutral environment and you're not on the hunt, then you're in a more open frame of mind and there isn't so much of that pressure. People are more likely to talk to you then and give you a chance at least at a conversation where they might find you are actually worth getting to know. When someone is on the hunt then they won't even entertain anything.

And the thing about a dating site is that everyone on there is precisly on the hunt when they are browsing it. They're in exactly the same mode as at a bar/nightclub etc.

Which is why I ultimately find it easier to meet someone if I'm doing something else where the main purpose isn't to meet females (eg a course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"